2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

The Mets lost 8 of their first 9 opening day games and were 39-14 since then. But today, they got just one hit - a homer by Starling Marte and lost 1-3 to the Brewers. Now they are 40-23 overall.

I saw "T McGill" in the box score for the Brewers and said "Whaaa? It's Tylor's bother Trevor.

Last edited:
Down 3 after one inning… McNiel pops up with the bases loaded. This team ain’t going to win with this core. Other than Nimmo none of them grind out at bats and get on base enough.

I get McNeil not liking the hard slide yesterday because, while it was legal, Hoskins could have ended McNeil’s season. Instead of whining about it I would have rather seen McNeil do something about is yesterday. Instead it was a distraction today and Hoskins just killed the Mets. It will be interesting to see how Mendoza handles business from here on out. Last year Buck just tolerated teams throwing at Alonso. The Mets need some player leadership and some fight.

Severino stunk but at least we finally woke up on offense to make a game of it.

I get McNeil not liking the hard slide yesterday because, while it was legal, Hoskins could have ended McNeil’s season. Instead of whining about it I would have rather seen McNeil do something about is yesterday. Instead it was a distraction today and Hoskins just killed the Mets. It will be interesting to see how Mendoza handles business from here on out. Last year Buck just tolerated teams throwing at Alonso. The Mets need some player leadership and some fight.
Leadership and fight have been completely missing from this era of the Mets. The only fight they have shown is with each other or with the fans. They have consistently shown that when times are tough they fold. All the platitudes like “I believe in the people in the club house” is all garbage. They had one really good year two years ago, but even then they were running on fumes the second half of that season. Unfortunately Cohen doubled down on the core instead of seeing it for the fraud it really is. Now they are in the middle of a multi year rebuild.

Leadership and fight have been completely missing from this era of the Mets. The only fight they have shown is with each other or with the fans. They have consistently shown that when times are tough they fold. All the platitudes like “I believe in the people in the club house” is all garbage. They had one really good year two years ago, but even then they were running on fumes the second half of that season. Unfortunately Cohen doubled down on the core instead of seeing it for the fraud it really is. Now they are in the middle of a multi year rebuild.
Hopefully Stearns knows what he’s doing because the Mets front office often seems behind the curve.

Hopefully Stearns knows what he’s doing because the Mets front office often seems behind the curve.
I’ll give him credit… he hasn’t done anything too dumb yet. He could have gone all in on one of the higher end staring pitchers but decided to keep his powder dry.

I am going to evaluate him by how quickly he turns over this core. Other than maybe Nimmo and Alvarez there isn’t a single player on the big league club whom he shouldn’t be open to moving. Lindor’s contract is not moveable so he is staying. But Pete, McNeil and Marte can all go.

I’ll give him credit… he hasn’t done anything too dumb yet. He could have gone all in on one of the higher end staring pitchers but decided to keep his powder dry.

I am going to evaluate him by how quickly he turns over this core. Other than maybe Nimmo and Alvarez there isn’t a single player on the big league club whom he shouldn’t be open to moving. Lindor’s contract is not moveable so he is staying. But Pete, McNeil and Marte can all go.

I want to keep Pete. He's a premiere power hitter and a good 'face of the franchise' guy. I like McNeil a lot but he's not irreplaceable, especially with the talent coming up. Marte may be nearing the end. We'll see how he does this year.

I want to keep Pete. He's a premiere power hitter and a good 'face of the franchise' guy. I like McNeil a lot but he's not irreplaceable, especially with the talent coming up. Marte may be nearing the end. We'll see how he does this year.
I think they are all good guys. But can a team compete for a title with these guys as the core of the lineup? The Braves, Dodgers and Phils all seem to have multiple guys who can hit for power and average and have some speed. Sure none of them have the power of Alonso, but I would take. Matt Olson over Pete.

Ugh. 0-3 and "(Tylor) Megill allowed two runs — one earned — and three hits in four innings. The right-hander felt some pain in his shoulder and will undergo an MRI."

Pete's hitting .364, Alvarez .500 and Marte .300 but Lindor is .083 and McNeil .091. And who knows when Martinez will show?

I think they are all good guys. But can a team compete for a title with these guys as the core of the lineup? The Braves, Dodgers and Phils all seem to have multiple guys who can hit for power and average and have some speed. Sure none of them have the power of Alonso, but I would take. Matt Olson over Pete.

Would the Braves take Pete over Matt Olson? And if they would, why would we give him to them?

Mets offense is anemic. Unfortunately through a tiny sample size this team looks to have a chunk of the same issues from last year. Hopefully they get things going.

Mets offense is anemic. Unfortunately through a tiny sample size this team looks to have a chunk of the same issues from last year. Hopefully they get things going.

Looks like a year things could go off the rails quickly…

Looks like a year things could go off the rails quickly…
Already weak pitching staff getting weaker by the outing... a bunch of older hitters on the downside of their career... a bunch of prospects who (outside of one) are struggling to get their footing in the bigs... what could go wrong?

As is clear by my posting I am very down on this team because I'm seeing the same hitting issues I've seen since the second half of 2022. Just a LOT of pathetic at bats which are not competitive. The last couple of years, on paper anyways, Mets have had the pitching to overcome anemic hitting... but not this year.

The Mets core needs to live up to the back of their baseball cards and prospect profiles at some point or this team will be out of it well before Memorial Day

Mets starter exits after a 1 hitter... gotta be a win right... RIGHT!?

Thank God for basketball. And TCM.

8 runs in four games and 6 of those were in 1 game. One shutout and two 1-run games. When is Martinez coming because the Mets need some help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom