2024 Schedule | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Schedule

Aloha folks! Hawaii fan here. To clarify matters, there are actually two Hawaii-related scheduling exemptions.

One is the 13th-game exemption. It allows Hawaii and any school that plays a game at Hawaii at any time during the season to schedule a 13th game.

There’s also the Week Zero exemption, which allows Week Zero games to be played by Hawaii, and by any school that plays a game at Hawaii at any time during the season, and by their Week Zero opponents.

So if Hawaii is in fact replacing Army on Syracuse’s 2024 schedule, the applicability of the exemptions depends on where the game is played.

If Syracuse plays at Hawaii, Syracuse will be allowed to both schedule a 13th game and to play during Week Zero. The game at Hawaii could be Syracuse’s Week Zero game, or Syracuse could play its Week Zero game at home against a different opponent and play at Hawaii later in the season.

If Hawaii plays at Syracuse, the game can be played during Week Zero, but Syracuse won’t be allowed to schedule a 13th game. That’s because Syracuse would qualify for the Week Zero exemption as Hawaii’s Week Zero opponent, but not for the 13th game exemption because it wouldn’t be playing a game at Hawaii.

My understanding is that if the game happens, it will be during Week Zero at Syracuse. This will fulfill Hawaii’s objective of replacing its previously scheduled Week Zero home game against Oregon with a Week Zero road money game against a P4 opponent. Oregon wants out of playing Hawaii to clear room on its schedule for a game with Oregon State, and Hawaii is looking to net a bigger Week Zero payout than it could earn by playing at home in its temporary 15K-seat stadium. (The full-sized replacement for Aloha Stadium, which will seat 25K to 35K depending on the final design, is currently on track to open in the summer of 2028.) And of course Syracuse will benefit by backfilling for the lost road game at Army with a Week Zero home game that should enjoy good media coverage and earn substantial incremental ticket revenue.

Hopefully all that makes sense.
That works

If what the guy from Hawaii said is true go schedule game 13 at UMass during a bye week if the school is interested. Or they could say, nah we’re good.

Maybe a second FCS home game since you already have 11 FBS games.

That works
This wouid be a great recovery move by SUAD.

If they can pull it off, and then leverage the 3 byes for maximum advantage by playing 3 consecutive weeks 4 times, with a bye week between each 3 game segment, they have done a great job positioning the team for maximum success in 2024.

This wouid be a great recovery move by SUAD.

If they can pull it off, and then leverage the 3 byes for maximum advantage by playing 3 consecutive weeks 4 times, with a bye week between each 3 game segment, they have done a great job positioning the team for maximum success in 2024.

I feel like the ACC schedule never works in our favor. We will end up with a 6 week stretch with one home game.

If it is just a home game I don't see the difference between Hawaii and UMass, unless Hawaii isn't requiring a return game.

If they do require a home game I hope we only agree to a Week 0 game in a year where we do not also travel to San Fran. Also that our next 2 games after that are at home against weaker teams. With these new Super conferences schools need to now consider the impact of travel. I think the B1G schools will learn that quickly.

Week Zero.jpg

So we might end up with 2 weeks prep for 4 of our 12 games this year. Hopefully they are all real teams we play and not UConn or Holy Cross. So 9-14 an ACC game. Then 10-5 another ACC game which makes that game almost a 2 week prep too given the easy game prior. Could be huge for year 1 of a new HC.

Then again if we use the 2 week prep like Dino this is not a good thing. Also given the 2 bye weeks in 2024 it would be more ideal to play Hawaii week 0 in another season where we only have 1 bye.

Not a huge fan either of playing 8-24 and 8-31 at home. I hate playing home Labor Day weekend. Giving up 2 Summer weekends is even worse. Although I might sandwich a Lake George trip and Saratoga in between the two.

I was there. We were the far better team but Flutie was a problem.

Won that game single-handedly…..
plus, they scored a td that I am sure the guy never got in the end zone. Years and years later, I'm, playing black jack at Foxwoods and who comes and sits down at my table but Flutie. We get to talking and I tell him that I think the guys name was struthers, never got in the end zone. Flutie says oh sure he did. Nice guy.

Also think the Hawaii game would be a nice way to get people in the dome and some good coverage week 0.

It’s not Labor Day weekend.
Yep

If it is just a home game I don't see the difference between Hawaii and UMass, unless Hawaii isn't requiring a return game.

If they do require a home game I hope we only agree to a Week 0 game in a year where we do not also travel to San Fran. Also that our next 2 games after that are at home against weaker teams. With these new Super conferences schools need to now consider the impact of travel. I think the B1G schools will learn that quickly.
Why? Wouldn't the week zero game help with having a longer travel road game on the schedule?

It's a State Fair Weekend.

What if there's a tractor pull that day?
I was curious if the State Fair excuse only applied to Labor Day weekend or the entire fair time. It would be nice to welcome Fran with at least a decent crowd and I really like the idea of Hawaii on week zero

I was curious if the State Fair excuse only applied to Labor Day weekend or the entire fair time. It would be nice to welcome Fran with at least a decent crowd and I really like the idea of Hawaii on week zero

I usually avoid the Fair on weekends, unless there's a musical act I want to see.

If we have a Noon kickoff and an 8 PM concert, we're good.

A 4 PM kickoff, and people will have to choose.

Their board says this is a one off buy game for Hawaii.

It is a home game versus an away game. Hawaii also wants to play on week 0, which gives us a third bye.

It is clearly a better option than playing at UMass on 9/7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom