2024 Schedule | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Schedule

Hey look at that, they replaced a road game with a road game.

They are playing 12 games and only one fcs. What a surprising outcome.

With conference realignment changing things literally every year, they are completely hamstrung with what they can actually do with the schedule.

If Army stayed on the schedule it would've looked a lot better. If the ACC didn't add Stanford and Cal and SMU it would've looked a lot better. If ND didn't change the whole ACC scheduling landscape it would be better. If we didn't have to play Thursdays it would be a lot better.

Of course the AD has to do their part but when scheduling for CFB is done years in advance for OOC, and 8 months before the season for ACC play, there are too many variables.
Your points are all valid. Scheduling is a hard job.

When the ACC schedules are released, I will check and see how many ACC schools end up with 6 home games and a stretch of 6 games in a row without a bye.

I suspect we will be the only one but are really hoping our byes work out better than that. I will be interested to see how many ACC schools end up with only 6 home games too. I bet at least one other school is in the same boat as us on that.

Hey look at that, they replaced a road game with a road game.

They are playing 12 games and only one fcs. What a surprising outcome.

Except for the fact we aren’t getting a home game in return for it in the future, like we were with Army it appears

I think you are right but I believe historically, Syracuse has tried at least, not to play a home game on Yom Kippur weekend.

This goes back to when I was a student reading articles about it in the DO. But even in recent years, it seems whenever we do a deep dive into the schedule, this comes up as a consideration. I think this is a standing request SU makes to the ACC when the football schedule is made.
Makes sense. I'm not trying to be insensitive and say this with respect, but are there that many observant fans where this would be a major consideration? Half the teams in the country play at home this day...it just seems like another barrier we're giving ourselves that may result in unfavorable schedules.

Makes sense. I'm not trying to be insensitive and say this with respect, but are there that many observant fans where this would be a major consideration? Half the teams in the country play at home this day...it just seems like another barrier we're giving ourselves that may result in unfavorable schedules.
If you are asking me how many fans SU football has that are Jewish, I do not have that answer.

I will say this. Universities try hard to respect the sensibilities of their faculty and students. And sometimes even their sports boosters.

I think this is an example of Syracuse trying to show respect for a really important holiday for people of the Jewish faith.

Syracuse might be the only team in the ACC that does this. I have no idea. But I do know this is something SU has done for decades.

Maybe this is the year things change. If we see a home game has been scheduled for 10/12 tonight, we have our answer.

If you are asking me how many fans SU football has that are Jewish, I do not have that answer.

I will say this. Universities try hard to respect the sensibilities of their faculty and students. And sometimes even their sports boosters.

I think this is an example of Syracuse trying to show respect for a really important holiday for people of the Jewish faith.

Syracuse might be the only team in the ACC that does this. I have no idea. But I do know this is something SU has done for decades.

Maybe this is the year things change. If we see a home game has been scheduled for 10/12 tonight, we have our answer.

Either that or the ACC said too bad, you have to take a home game that week because it’s the only way it work.

I would assume if we have a home game that weekend, that would be the case rather than Syracuse going against its normal standards

Either that or the ACC said too bad, you have to take a home game that week because it’s the only way it work.

I would assume if we have a home game that weekend, that would be the case rather than Syracuse going against its normal standards
Here is an article from the DO from 2014.

Home SU football games were scheduled that conflicted with Yom Kippur two straight seasons. People were not happy. There was a big stink about it.

We had just joined the ACC a year earlier and I suspect soon after this incident, Syracuse made a formal request to the conference to take Yom Kippur conflicts into account for all future SU home games.

Who knows? Maybe it has fallen in the cracks, SU will get a home game that day and a bunch of people will get upset about it.

Let's see what the schedule says. I only brought it up because I suspect it is a factor setting up our schedule.

Yom Kippur is the one day of the year that many otherwise non observant Jews the other 364 days of the year observe. The way the Jewish calendar works it’s not every year this falls on a Saturday. I don’t know the numbers on the percentage of fans who are Jewish, but can guarantee is well above the percentage of the US population that are Jewish (2.4%). I don’t think the university told the conference absolutely don’t schedule a home game on this day, but strongly put a preference to avoid this day. Along with potentially creating an environment of decreased revenue from ticket sales and concessions. I could imagine there is complications from a gameday operations standpoint of Jewish staff not being able to work.

Home SU football games were scheduled that conflicted with Yom Kippur two straight seasons. People were not happy. There was a big stink about it.

We had just joined the ACC a year earlier and I suspect soon after this incident, Syracuse made a formal request to the conference to take Yom Kippur conflicts into account for all future SU home games.

Who knows? Maybe it has fallen in the cracks, SU will get a home game that day and a bunch of people will get upset about it.

Let's see what the schedule says. I only brought it up because I suspect it is a factor setting up our schedule.

Yes exactly.

Think we’re saying the same thing here that SU prefers to NOT play a game that weekend

But there is a chance that ACC said too bad so sad

Yom Kippur is the one day of the year that many otherwise non observant Jews the other 364 days of the year observe. The way the Jewish calendar works it’s not every year this falls on a Saturday. I don’t know the numbers on the percentage of fans who are Jewish, but can guarantee is well above the percentage of the US population that are Jewish (2.4%). I don’t think the university told the conference absolutely don’t schedule a home game on this day, but strongly put a preference to avoid this day. Along with potentially creating an environment of decreased revenue from ticket sales and concessions. I could imagine there is complications from a gameday operations standpoint of Jewish staff not being able to work.
Ahhh, ok. I didn't realize it changed dates and isn't always on a Saturday. That makes alot more sense for requesting away games when its not every year

Lots of jewish students from outside CNY will probably go home as well for this so it affects a few different groups.

The number of Jewish students at SU is estimated to be about 2,500 which is about 17% of the student body. A sizable percent would not attend a home game during that day. The very first game at the Dome was on Yom Kippur but it was a night game which allowed observant Jews to attend since the holy day ends at sundown. The University of Miami has a similar percent of its student body that is Jewish.

it also ends the evening of oct 12.. Havent we played night games to get around this before?

Yes, if it's Saturday night.
The sun sets October 12th in Syracuse at 6:26 pm.

So if we have a home game, I would expect it to be a night game.

Moontan, llandz or others that follow Homecoming closely, do we have Homecoming games at night often?

Is this something Syracuse likes to do?

Moontan, llandz or others that follow Homecoming closely, do we have Homecoming games at night often?

Mid October, 7pm game

Boy wouldn’t that be a gift

Therefore, it’s not happening for Cuse LOL

But the problem is game times usually are in the control of the TV Networks and except for the first few weeks of the season usually aren't set until 12 days before.

Mid October, 7pm game

Boy wouldn’t that be a gift

Therefore, it’s not happening for Cuse LOL
As long as we have had Homecoming games at night in the past and the timing for that worked out well, I suspect that we will have a home game on 10/12 and it will be a night game.

If this happens, it is really unlikely to be Virginia Tech (they play on a weekday the following week so will almost surely have a bye on 10/12).

So the opponent would almost surely be Miami. That should drive some ticket sales.

And I could see ESPN agreeing to a night game for Syracuse vs Miami right now. Both teams are expected to be good and it should draw good ratings.

But the problem is game times usually are in the control of the TV Networks and except for the first few weeks of the season usually aren't set until 12 days before.
Yeah I know the ACCN has a primetime slot at 8pm. Though I don’t think they usually fill that slot until the 12 days before. But yeah with the traditional break fast foods, bagel and lox tailgate with mimosas on the menu lol.
As long as we have had Homecoming games at night in the past and the timing for that worked out well, I suspect that we will have a home game on 10/12 and it will be a night game.

If this happens, it is really unlikely to be Virginia Tech (they play on a weekday the following week so will almost surely have a bye on 10/12).

So the opponent would almost surely be Miami. That should drive some ticket sales.
Now a matchup with Miami could secure that timeslot, records of teams aside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom