Class of 2015 - 3 commits in one day?? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 3 commits in one day??

Looks like Adams can recruit , looks like Scott knew what he was doing with that hire. Where are all the couch coaches and know it alls' now?

Looks like Adams can recruit , looks like Scott knew what he was doing with that hire. Where are all the couch coaches and know it alls' now?
Let's chill out alittle bit dude. Even Akron and Ball State gets players to commit. We'll see how good of recruits they'll be as time goes by. Its not about quantity its about quality.

Sudano said:
Let's chill out alittle bit dude. Even Akron and Ball State gets players to commit. We'll see how good of recruits they'll be as time goes by. Its not about quantity its about quality.

Well, sure. Returns are early - but I think we can assume he went after the kid he wanted and got him. How the kid ends up is up to a ton of factors.

Well, sure. Returns are early - but I think we can assume he went after the kid he wanted and got him. How the kid ends up is up to a ton of factors.
We have over a hundred offers out. We're going after alot of kids we want.

Well... Most folks were actually more concerned about him coaching OL than his recruiting. Plus Lester was lead recruiter on Conway; McDonald on the STA kids.

We could have 1000 offers out, what matters is that these are committable offers. If the staff is taking commitments in May on kids they offered in March or earlier, that's a great thing if you have any faith whatsoever in the staff's ability to identify talent. Generally you don't take commitments from kids 8-9 months from signing day if they don't rank high on your board. And that comment applies to any recruiting cycle, whether it's this year or 10 years ago. The clock has moved up but not that much.

We could have 1000 offers out, what matters is that these are committable offers. If the staff is taking commitments in May on kids they offered in March or earlier, that's a great thing if you have any faith whatsoever in the staff's ability to identify talent. Generally you don't take commitments from kids 8-9 months from signing day if they don't rank high on your board. And that comment applies to any recruiting cycle, whether it's this year or 10 years ago. The clock has moved up but not that much.
My only point is that just they commited to us that they now don't immediately become top players.
They still need to be judged on other players we offered along with what players other ACC teams are getting.
Being SU fans we still need to be critical of what type of players are commiting to us and not just taking the fact they commited as verification of their inevitable talent contribution.

Sudano said:

Didn't think we could take a class that big ;). It would seem we got kids rated pretty highly on our board, fairly early. Coaches were very happy.

Most fans are happy with today's haul. Most.

Sudano said:
My only point is that just they commited to us that they now don't immediately become top players. They still need to be judged on other players we offered along with what players other ACC teams are getting. Being SU fans we still need to be critical of what type of players are commiting to us and not just taking the fact they commited as verification of their inevitable talent contribution.

What benefit or purpose does it serve to be critical at this juncture? These coaches are still new and we have little proof in either direction (though Estime is helping, as well as a higher ranked class than we've had in a long while) - sure jury's out, but I don't see what's gained by being critical.

Plus - your point earlier was that we didn't know how good they'll be - could make that same point the other way: why be critical before we actually know how good they are?

Hoping for the Parkinson kid commit by the end of weekend. Dude would be a steal. Salvating on his red zone scoring potential among other things

anomander said:
Big day today, and there are a few more that we are really really close with. I won't be surprised if we have at least 4 more in the next 2-3 weeks

Agreed. Coaches doing a great job of identifying the talent that they want and closing.

My only point is that just they commited to us that they now don't immediately become top players.
They still need to be judged on other players we offered along with what players other ACC teams are getting.
Being SU fans we still need to be critical of what type of players are commiting to us and not just taking the fact they commited as verification of their inevitable talent contribution.

How can you be critical... Are you a judge of D1 talent and D1 potential? What basis do you have to be critical?

CuseOnly said:
How can you be critical... Are you a judge of D1 talent and D1 potential? What basis do you have to be critical?

I don't think he's being critical. But you do have to see how they rate against your competition. Shafer said himself that he noticed an upgrade in speed in the ACC, particularly with linemen. We're not going to compete with the top ACC teams unless we upgrade in terms of speed with our linemen. I don't get the sense that any of our new commits is an upgrade in that area. Just a fact,

I don't think he's being critical. But you do have to see how they rate against your competition. Shafer said himself that he noticed an upgrade in speed in the ACC, particularly with linemen. We're not going to compete with the top ACC teams unless we upgrade in terms of speed with our linemen. I don't get the sense that any of our new commits is an upgrade in that area. Just a fact,
I highly doubt that the staff would take commitments this early from anyone they didn't have on the top of their list. If the coaches didn't think that these players could help SU climb their way to the top of the ACC, they wouldn't have offered early, and they certainly wouldn't have had commitable offers at this relatively early stage. I love stars, it gets the rest of the country buzzing about our program, but I get more excited that our coaches got the guys they wanted.

So getting two linemen off one of the top high school teams in the country isn't a reason to be somewhat enthusiastic? You don't get the sense that these guys would be an upgrade? But no one is being critical when they say give me quality over quantity ... OK so we already know what these kids will contribute? There is a bit of hypocritical logic there. You can't tell someone not to assume they will be good players while assuming they won't enhance the program, you don't know any more about what these kids will bring to the table then anyone else on this board (sans a few). I for one am excited about where we are pulling players from and getting them from a high school power like Aquinas makes me giddy.

orangefog said:
I highly doubt that the staff would take commitments this early from anyone they didn't have on the top of their list. If the coaches didn't think that these players could help SU climb their way to the top of the ACC, they wouldn't have offered early, and they certainly wouldn't have had commitable offers at this relatively early stage. I love stars, it gets the rest of the country buzzing about our program, but I get more excited that our coaches got the guys they wanted.

Never said they were duds. I'm sure they're solid recruits. Just remember, though, we're competing against Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech and others.

Never said they were duds. I'm sure they're solid recruits. Just remember, though, we're competing against Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech and others.

Yep and those guys compete against many kids that make up those programs playing for a powerhouse high school in Florida. They will get a lot more offers before their seasons are over and then the board will be in a tizzy over whether or not we can keep them. I really suggest you reread each of their threads ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom