44 IS RESTORED | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

44 IS RESTORED

I think blaming McNabb for the retreat is misguided. He can say whatever he wants and it should not dictate policy. Sala said "With the blessing of Jim Brown and Floyd Little, the No. 44 is back. The Syracuse University Football Orange, we are restoring the No. 44 back to the program."

The Senior Vice President for Public Affairs Kevin Quinn said something different.

That's not McNabb's fault.

Bullshit. If McNabb keeps his fat yap shut, this is a non-story.

This reverse in decision by the leaders on the Hill is unconscionable. What are they thinking.

This reverse in decision by the leaders on the Hill is unconscionable. What are they thinking.
But they didn't reverse anything. They just decided it'd be a good idea to confuse things by issuing a "clarification" that said the exact same thing that was said on Tuesday, because who doesn't love muddying the water?

They never screw up an opportunity to botch PR.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...syracuse-says-the-no-44s-status-hasnt-changed

That article is what I based my post on. It made it seem like 44 wouldn't be given without special circumstances.
The "special circumstances" part is what most people seem to be confused by. The special circumstances are basically the whole "it'd have to be a great player, student, and person" thing. Which means that we can all still fully expect to see Robert Washington wearing 44 in a couple years.

I keep seeing the local Syracuse media repeating over and over that something changed from Tuesday to Wednesday and that it's not actually a usable number or whatever on Twitter, and all I can do is... :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

It's on everyone. SU for being so disorganized about a topic that so many of their fans actually care about. McNabb, with his visibility, for going on a twitter rant without (apparently) even contacting the school to hear the plans.

Just a big dumb mess.

Luckily, in a week (or probably much less), no one outside of SU fans will even care. And even the SU fans will tire of it quickly.

It's on everyone. SU for being so disorganized about a topic that so many of their fans actually care about. McNabb, with his visibility, for going on a twitter rant without (apparently) even contacting the school to hear the plans.

Just a big dumb mess.

Luckily, in a week (or probably much less), no one outside of SU fans will even care. And even the SU fans will tire of it quickly.
And at the end of the day, the important thing here: 44 is, absolutely, without question, going to be back on the field at some point. Almost certainly on the back of Robert Washington.

Did the McNabb tweets gain any notice outside of Syracuse.com though? That can't be the reason why SU is running backwards on this can it?

Did the McNabb tweets gain any notice outside of Syracuse.com though? That can't be the reason why SU is running backwards on this can it?
Yes, ESPN.com picked up on it.

Just a big dumb mess.

I tend to think that people are hypercritical of SU and get on them about things that either aren't a huge deal or aren't entirely within their control. But I'm done defending these clowns. How the flying f%#* do you screw up an announcement about something that the vast majority of your fan base supports.

The utter incompetence of this athletic administration explains everything: why hoops is on probation, why grass roots fundraising sucks, why they antagonize the fans at every turn.

It's time to dump Otto and use a new mascot that best represents SU athletics...

040527_bozo_ccol.grid-4x2.jpg

sad part is, the next time (and next couple times going forward) SU does give 44 to a player...this story and last 48 hours will be re-hashed during every broadcast. Bank on it!

I can hear the TV announcers already...Player X wearing the famed #44 number that was worn by so many famous players in the past It was retired, then unretired and the school didn't know what to do with the number and McNabb had harsh words for the school and was against the move to bring it back, and now here we are with Player X wearing the number

This isn't going to go away for a while I hate to say

Last edited:
i dont think syracuse became disorganized on the subject until they caved to media criticism and felt they needed to 'clarify' things. this is when it got botched. i'm not sure why syracuse felt they needed a response to PTI, Olberman, Axe or Bud, or McNabb. If they didn't 'clarify' anything it would be a non-issue.

Bullshit. If McNabb keeps his fat yap shut, this is a non-story.
SU should control what it can control. It can't control McNabb. It's a non-story if SU controlled it better. McNabb's comments would have been a story for a day.

i dont think syracuse became disorganized on the subject until they caved to media criticism and felt they needed to 'clarify' things. this is when it got botched. i'm not sure why syracuse felt they needed a response to PTI, Olberman, Axe or Bud, or McNabb. If they didn't 'clarify' anything it would be a non-issue.
The clarification was coming even before PTI and Olbermann said anything, FYI. I got tipped off early afternoon that there would be something coming out from the University.

But they didn't reverse anything. They just decided it'd be a good idea to confuse things by issuing a "clarification" that said the exact same thing that was said on Tuesday, because who doesn't love muddying the water?
Jim needs to say Floyd, and I felt it should be back on the field, case closed. That would effectively shut people like McNabb up.

Anyone have any contacts in the SID? Would love to hear an off the record explanation. Have to imagine they go radio silent here on out.

Jim needs to say Floyd, and I felt it should be back on the field, case closed. That would effectively shut people like McNabb up.

Let's also get out a Ouija board, hold a seance, and get Ernie's thoughts to cover all of our bases on unretiring 44.

The majority of their fanbase seemed to welcome the news.

That's really all they should have cared about.

Wonder how that AD search is going?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom