44 IS RESTORED | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

44 IS RESTORED

So sidenote to this: considering how well respected Pete Sala is in the community and at the University, and the fact that they had HIM be the one to make this announcement...

...am I reading too much into it, or does it feel like he may be losing that "interim" tag pretty soon?

So sidenote to this: considering how well respected Pete Sala is in the community and at the University, and the fact that they had HIM be the one to make this announcement...

...am I reading too much into it, or does it feel like he may be losing that "interim" tag pretty soon?

Reading too much into it. They aren't going through the time and expense of a search committee just to give it to the interim guy, no offense to him.

Does he want the job?

Maybe he's happy just being the Mayor of the Dome?

jekelish said:
So sidenote to this: considering how well respected Pete Sala is in the community and at the University, and the fact that they had HIM be the one to make this announcement... ...am I reading too much into it, or does it feel like he may be losing that "interim" tag pretty soon?
Interesting. But Sala may be too good at what he already does.

Wait, did he really?
Yup. Said when he took the job he didn't know if this generation appreciated the history of 44. Said he was clearly reminded that it is alive and well by a 17 year old recruit.

Please...Don't post the upcoming Poliquin article even if positive.

Well, if it's any consolation Adelson just posted an article about the 44 plaza and quoted Bud's worries about Brown robbing a train and Little stealing crab legs. :bat:

apples and oranges.

back then it was just a # being given out. the relevence, the importance of it...wasnt historical.

after that it was when it became a joke, because they didnt know what to do with it or how to use it.

it mightve been retired, it might not have been...it was just there.

look what happened after Little...

in 20 years it was worn for 3 seasons till Mac gave it out.

then P tried to bring it back and get it right.

they need to hand it out better, with greater purpose.

i dont think anyone here truly cares about the #...

They changed the telephone pre-fix to "443" back in the 80s, so at some point people certainly understood and cared about the number.

The tradition was for it to be active, and if a few players didn't match the performance of Jim Brown that wasn't the point.

Rumor has it Doc Gross called a meeting of his brain-trust to see how 44 could be kept eligible...

I kid, I kid. Great day for the SU community and hats off to everyone, Doc included, who made it happen.

This is awesome news! And boy did we need some! Tradition is actually a pretty cool thing if we take advantage of it.

http://.com/restored/

Hell. Yes.
clap.gif

They changed the telephone pre-fix to "443" back in the 80s, so at some point people certainly understood and cared about the number.

The tradition was for it to be active, and if a few players didn't match the performance of Jim Brown that wasn't the point.
to me...the Tradition was for it to be honored everywhere.

which is why they changed the exchange... and zip.

its bigger than whether or not a player has it.

i dont need to see some kid on the field sporting it...succeeding or not...to make it larger than life.

and when its not succeeding...its bad.

unwanted publicity for the kid and the school.

is for running backs or for the school??

to me, its for the school.

DC and Wallace wore it beautifically...they werent running backs.

I think we should have had a halftime celebration during the CMU game to properly unretire it, closest to the manner in which it was retired.

Pull the jersey down from the rafters, and suspend Dr. and Mrs. Gross up there in its place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom