44 IS RESTORED | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

44 IS RESTORED

I believe Donovan McNabb is drunk tweeting regarding this. Bizarre tweets in the last 30 minutes.
He's out in the weeds on this issue. He probably wants to start a new #retire44 campaign. Sad.

Anyone know why it hasn't been used in basketball since Wallace? Coleman, then Wallace, and then Winfred Walton was supposed to wear it...and then nothing. It was never officially retired for hoop. How come it's never used anymore?

jkm54 said:
My second kid was born today, on the day that SU finally restores #44. The hospital ID tag #, and I you not, is 84444. YouTube Video

image-1341897790.jpg

And look at the number of people who liked this when I viewed it!

Anyone know why it hasn't been used in basketball since Wallace? Coleman, then Wallace, and then Winfred Walton was supposed to wear it...and then nothing. It was never officially retired for hoop. How come it's never used anymore?

Because nobody's asked for it. Kids dig the single digits.

McNabb going off about SU on twitter. Now I don't feel so bad about his ceremony a couple years back only lasting 3 min at halftime

McNabb going off about SU on twitter. Now I don't feel so bad about his ceremony a couple years back only lasting 3 min at halftime

Can you post some of his tweets?

McNabb is way off base. He's calling it "disrespectful."

Donovan, you're my favorite Syracuse player of all-time. But you're being an idiot. Jim Brown and Floyd Little - two legends who WORE 44 - signed off on this. Your own teammate, the last 44, Rob Konrad, signed off in it. The people who wore 44 are perfectly fine with this decision. Therefore, it is by definition NOT disrespectful. Now, if Brown, or Little, or the other 44s had a problem with this and they un-retired it anyway? THAT would be disrespectful. But this had the 44 seal of approval.

Stop trying to tell Jim Brown and Floyd Little how disrespected they should be feeling. Good lord.

My favorite line of the ceremony from Scott Shafer "44 is a culture not a number" As someone who was around for the games in the 60s I believe it is a culture and something to build a football identity around. We lost our mojo...44 will bring the mojo back!!!

There are few who are bigger McNabb fans than me.

But I wish I never followed him on Twitter. He tries too hard to be controversial.

Liked him much better running around and throwing the football.
I feel the exact same way. He makes himself look pretty silly with his comments a little too often. This is one of those times.

Speaking of people who should watch what they say on Twitter, I'd say McNabb's "come around" plenty for SU. I am not defending his comments, but he's a member of the BOT for a reason.

There are few who are bigger McNabb fans than me.

But I wish I never followed him on Twitter. He tries too hard to be controversial.

Liked him much better running around and throwing the football.
Maybe he's projecting. You know - projecting. It's one of them psychological things.

Nice. Good to see an awful mistake finally remedied.

Look forward to the day a promising young RB takes a pitch and runs wide, looking for daylight...
And cuts back against the grain for his 1st TD.

Full_Rebar said:
Speaking of people who should watch what they say on Twitter, I'd say McNabb's "come around" plenty for SU. I am not defending his comments, but he's a member of the BOT for a reason.

Even more reason for Donovan to support the move. Have your issues aired in private.

So now the schools most famous alumni / BOT member slams the move.

Did anyone ask Donovan? And is so, they should have told him to stand down publicly if they knew he was opposed.

Not exactly a "dot your I's and cross your T's moment" for Sala. It's the kind of stuff Real ADs consider and have covered before such an announcement.

McNabb is the reason I became such a huge SU football fan growing up and I'll never forget being in Michigan Stadium in '98...but his media career has been disappointing, to say the least.

He's going completely out of his way to criticize a university/AD decision with a lot of popular support - including support from those who have been supposedly "disrespected"

Even more reason for Donovan to support the move. Have your issues aired in private.

So now the schools most famous alumni / BOT member slams the move.

Did anyone ask Donovan? And is so, they should have told him to stand down publicly if they knew he was opposed.

Not exactly a "dot your I's and cross your T's moment" for Sala. It's the kind of stuff Real ADs consider and have covered before such an announcement.
I'm not sure how you can put it on Sala. Honestly, look at the list of BOT members. Is he supposed to go to each and every one of them? Did he consult Joyce?

There was a committee in place to begin with. They received approval from the people who mattered, specifically Jim Brown and Floyd Little. Honestly, as long as Jim and Floyd are on board...who cares what anyone else thinks? It's not up to them. They aren't the legends that are supposedly being "disrespected" by having it restored.

I'd be a little surprised if they asked McNabb, because frankly it's not really his business in this instance.

Strongly disagree. Look at the list of board members. How many of them are famous FB alumnus?

It's board management 101. Someone needed to reach out to McNabb before the announcement.

If they did and Donovan decided to blow them off, then that's on #5.

I can assure you all of one going, McNabb did not make any friends at his alma mater today...no matter of how it happened. He has essentially ruined the school's PR event.

It certainly is mcnabb's business. He's on the BOARD!

Last edited:
Strongly disagree. Look at the list of board members. How many of them are famous FB alumnus?

It's board management 101. Someone needed to reach out to McNabb before the announcement.

If they did and Donovan decided to blow them off, then that's on #5.

I can assure you all of one going, McNabb did not make any friends at his alma mater today...no matter of how it happened.

It certainly is mcnabb's business. He's on the BOARD!
Regardless - it's still on #5. He's turned into (or unveiled) some weird persona after he quit playing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom