44 IS RESTORED | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

44 IS RESTORED

Donovan isn't the smartest bulb by any means. I'll leave it at that. I was actually surprised the university capitulated when they decided to make him a member of the BOT. Just because you're good at sports doesn't mean you are a good representative of the university in real university decisions.

None of his inane twitter commentary surprises me.

I chalk it up to "who cares what he has to say about a number he never wore".

He's out in the weeds on this issue. He probably wants to start a new #retire44 campaign. Sad.
Donovan has done a lot for this university and has his right to express his opinion....he just happens to be wrong this time. If Brown and Little are ok, then who should complain ?

I'm upset with myself for reading his column.

It's amazing that someone who has been writing about Syracuse for so long can still have so little understanding of the actual meaning of 44.

And he managed to squeeze in a "whiz-bang." Someone please buy this man a thesaurus.

He needs to be run out of town on a rail. Nothing worse than the proverbial turd in the punchbowl. He's a self-important jerk with a bully pulpit.

Donovan isn't the smartest bulb by any means. I'll leave it at that. I was actually surprised the university capitulated when they decided to make him a member of the BOT. Just because you're good at sports doesn't mean you are a good representative of the university in real university decisions.

He always struck me as fairly bright. However, to the extent one values it - his Wonderlic score was pretty embarrassing.

Way too far...He said something most of us disagree with , no more no less.
My attitude is based on his cumulative efforts. This isn't by far the first time, nor the last.

I'm upset with myself for reading his column.

It's amazing that someone who has been writing about Syracuse for so long can still have so little understanding of the actual meaning of 44.

And he managed to squeeze in a "whiz-bang." Someone please buy this man a thesaurus.

Whiz-Bang is one of the Bud Poliquin Drinking Game words, along with Burg and Ramrod & Poob-bah.

Last edited:
He's talking about Poliquin here, not McNabb.

I misunderstood at first also until I saw he quoted your post. I support the sentiment entirely as it relates to Bud.

Bud is an idiot.

I'm going to say it again, if SU can hand out 22 in lax, it can hand out, and should hand out, 44 in football.

All those other examples he trots out are for singular players at those places, not multiple players to the point where a brand has been created.

You don't shelve one of your brand identifiers, you use it to promote the program, to fans and recruits. It's the very definition of a tool.

Bud is an idiot.

I'm going to say it again, if SU can hand out 22 in lax, it can hand out, and should hand out, 44 in football.

All those other examples he trots out are for singular players at those places, not multiple players to the point where a brand has been created.

You don't shelve one of your brand identifiers, you use it to promote the program, to fans and recruits. It's the very definition of a tool.

Excellent post. You stated the difference very well.

Bud is an idiot.

Agree with this. As much as 44 is important to Syracuse football, "Syracuse lacrosse 22" is synonymous with being one of, if not the, best player in America...yet we don't think anything of handing it out repeatedly. Granted, we've been fortunate enough to keep finding stellar players to wear it.

And as was mentioned during the actual ceremony yesterday, Syracuse football doesn't have many traditions. It never made any sense to do away with the absolute best one we have for 10 years to begin with.

is 44 going to be used in basketball again?
I don't think it was ever actually retired for basketball, was it? It's just that no one wanted it, more or less?

That's why I would have been curious about landing Thomas Bryant, since he would have been a contender to wear it.

I don't think it was ever actually retired for basketball, was it? It's just that no one wanted it, more or less?

That's why I would have been curious about landing Thomas Bryant, since he would have been a contender to wear it.

Should have been used for Carmelo then. I think it was shelved for sure.

Should have been used for Carmelo then. I think it was shelved for sure.

Melo could have worn 22 if he asked for it (since numbers aren't retired).

Both 20 (Triche) and 4 (Johnson) have been used.

I think he originally wanted 22 but it was retired for Dave Bing. I could be wrong.

I edited my post above. He might have thought 22 wasn't available, so he took 15.

I edited my post above. He might have thought 22 wasn't available, so he took 15.
And he took 15 because it had meaning to him, because he had a close relationship with Michael Lloyd.

I once asked somebody whom I thought would make a great BOT member why this person was not on the BOT and the answer was the $1MM entrance fee.

Obviously, take this with a grain of salt but this is what I was told.

I know SU has a "we retire jerseys, not numbers" policy, but I think it's interesting that in the time I have followed SU hoops (since I was a freshman in 1994) nobody has worn Pearl's 31 or Bing's 22. That's a long time for a # not to be picked by anybody. Nobody has worn Melo's 15 since he left.

I know SU has a "we retire jerseys, not numbers" policy, but I think it's interesting that in the time I have followed SU hoops (since I was a freshman in 1994) nobody has worn Pearl's 31 or Bing's 22. That's a long time for a # not to be picked by anybody. Nobody has worn Melo's 15 since he left.
I admit I thought the basketball jerseys were fully retired until Brandon Triche wore 20 his freshman year.

Snake Harris wore 31 for a couple of years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom