44 IS RESTORED | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

44 IS RESTORED

OrangeXtreme said:
Snake Harris wore 31 for a couple of years.

image-2279701285.jpg

Oh, Anthony Harris. I had no idea his nickname was "Snake" or that he wore 31, to be honest. I was still a little too young at that point.

In the past 44 has been worn by players other than RB's. I would like to see that happen again, as in, you don't strictly have to be an RB to qualify! How cool would it be to have a dynamic QB wear it? Or a all american caliber MLB? Conley redux for example...

I swore I read somewhere else (tos maybe?) that #44 was promised to Floyd Littles Grandson in 8 years? Umm can the kid Play at least? I know scouting starts early now, but hes like 10 years old how can he alresdy project out as a 4star recruit?

I swore I read somewhere else (tos maybe?) that #44 was promised to Floyd Littles Grandson in 8 years? Umm can the kid Play at least? I know scouting starts early now, but hes like 10 years old how can he alresdy project out as a 4star recruit?
I always interpreted it as a kind of "we love you Floyd, if he's ever good enough, he's welcome to have it!" sort of thing, like (and this is a random example but it's one that jumps out) when Oregon offered Joey Harrington's parents a scholarship for him the day he was born. Not exactly what you'd call binding but if it happens, awesome. A friendly gesture to potentially be taken advantage of down the road.

Skout currently has him only as a 3 star - which is a freaking load of crap.

Donovan has done a lot for this university and has his right to express his opinion...he just happens to be wrong this time. If Brown and Little are ok, then who should complain ?
Konrad too.

You can bet your arse if he was Marcus Allen's grandson and USC was interested, he'd already be a 5-star.

He'll get bumped up just as soon as he visits Rutgers. :crazy:

I once asked somebody whom I thought would make a great BOT member why this person was not on the BOT and the answer was the $1MM entrance fee.

Obviously, take this with a grain of salt but this is what I was told.

Yeah I get the Pay to Play game but that doesn't mean I'd make Al Davis a BOT either. The standards should be higher than a paycheck. You get what you pay for when you establish McNabb as a voice of the University and then he spouts off in a completely moronic fashion.

Yeah I get the Pay to Play game but that doesn't mean I'd make Al Davis a BOT either. The standards should be higher than a paycheck. You get what you pay for when you establish McNabb as a voice of the University and then he spouts off in a completely moronic fashion.
I'm curious, honestly: if it really is about giving to the University, why isn't Carmelo Anthony approached? Or has he been, but he declined? He's been incredibly generous toward Syracuse, especially for a guy who was only here for a year, and continues to very vocally support the Orange. I love McNabb - and he's the greatest QB to ever play at Syracuse - but why him, and not Melo, unless the five years spent here by McNabb as opposed to the one for Melo are the deciding factor?

I always interpreted it as a kind of "we love you Floyd, if he's ever good enough, he's welcome to have it!" sort of thing, like (and this is a random example but it's one that jumps out) when Oregon offered Joey Harrington's parents a scholarship for him the day he was born. Not exactly what you'd call binding but if it happens, awesome. A friendly gesture to potentially be taken advantage of down the road.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/thr...ittle-promises-keep-book-syracuse-broncos-nfl

In 2005, during Syracuse's Homecoming game against South Florida, Syracuse finally retired No. 44. It now sits in the rafters of the Carrier Dome. I was there for that unforgettable weekend culminating in the halftime retirement ceremony where Jim Brown, Ernie Davis's mother, Marie Fleming, and other great players including Bill Schoonover, Michael Owens, Rob Konrad, and I were each given a replica No. 44 jersey and helmet from our playing days. My family and friends were there, including my grandson, Blaze Kennedy Jones, to whom I gave my jersey and helmet. I've been told that the university may un-retire the jersey for special occasions. One of them will be when Blaze goes to Syracuse and plays tailback for the Orange. He'll wear his Poppy's number proud. I'm 70 years old, but I'm eating right and staying in shape in hopes that I'll be around to see Blaze wear No. 44.

I'm guessing that Gross told Floyd back then, "I'm certain we can unretire the number when your grandson comes here. I'm the Athletic Director after all."

Here's a hypothetical question. What happens if a 5 star RB recruit wants to come here and wear 44, but he's a grade ahead of Floyd's grandson? Does Floyd, as part of the 44 committee, decline in favor of his grandson? Hopefully this doesn't end up causing any issues down the road.

That's an interesting conundrum...I have to think that Floyd would look at what's best for the program as a whole. It's all hypothetical I know, but the 5-star would also want to wear 44, and Floyd's grandson would actually have to want to come to SU.

I'm curious, honestly: if it really is about giving to the University, why isn't Carmelo Anthony approached? Or has he been, but he declined? He's been incredibly generous toward Syracuse, especially for a guy who was only here for a year, and continues to very vocally support the Orange. I love McNabb - and he's the greatest QB to ever play at Syracuse - but why him, and not Melo, unless the five years spent here by McNabb as opposed to the one for Melo are the deciding factor?

I would assume he'd be invited if he ever finished his degree. Perhaps there are other trustees who have not completed their degree, but I would be shocked if something like that would fly these days.

I would assume he'd be invited if he ever finished his degree. Perhaps there are other trustees who have not completed their degree, but I would be shocked if something like that would fly these days.

That was the same reason I was thinking. You can donate money for really nice practice facilities without a degree :) , but not sit on the Board of Trustees.

Josh Wright wore 30 also.

One could argue that there have been far more "great" 22s in lax, than there have been "great" 44s in football. And they'd be right.
Give the big three there own hanging jerseys and dump the big one, and let's move on with it.

Guys like Tom Stephens and Bill Schoonover weren't given #44 as a recruiting inducement or to honor the number. They were just given it. The idea that the number was something special grew over the years. If we are going to use it as something special now, we've got to treat it as something special now.

I was encouraged by this statement: "A small committee will be put in place to award the number this time around. That committee will include Floyd Little and comprise a total of four or five people...The number could be given to a true freshman, if they find the right fit." I think "find the right fit" is the appropriate attitude here. If they find a player who hasn't yet played for us who will obviously be exceptional, fine. But it sounds like a player who has played for us and has demonstrated himself to be deserving of #44 could still get it.

I still feel strongly that all running backs we recruit should have a theoretical shot at it and that if we apply high standards as to who will get it, it will become something truly special.
that, in a nutshell...is the Kaiser Plan.

if its 'unretired'...then lets do it right.

44 can be given to basically everyone but the OL and QB...and there is probably an easy way around the QB # block.

QB wearing 44...now THAT would be something.

Potential internal problems aside, I think the McNabb thing isn't a big deal.

Here's a scenario for you all. Let's say the next person to wear 44 has a great career, and wearing 44 becomes a big deal again. Some 5* RB recruit is interested and wants to wear 44. Problem is, he had some character issues in high school. What happens then?

Potential internal problems aside, I think the McNabb thing isn't a big deal.

Here's a scenario for you all. Let's say the next person to wear 44 has a great career, and wearing 44 becomes a big deal again. Some 5* RB recruit is interested and wants to wear 44. Problem is, he had some character issues in high school. What happens then?

he gets sent to Fort Drum for 2 weeks for "Camp 44"

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/thr...ittle-promises-keep-book-syracuse-broncos-nfl

In 2005, during Syracuse's Homecoming game against South Florida, Syracuse finally retired No. 44. It now sits in the rafters of the Carrier Dome. I was there for that unforgettable weekend culminating in the halftime retirement ceremony where Jim Brown, Ernie Davis's mother, Marie Fleming, and other great players including Bill Schoonover, Michael Owens, Rob Konrad, and I were each given a replica No. 44 jersey and helmet from our playing days. My family and friends were there, including my grandson, Blaze Kennedy Jones, to whom I gave my jersey and helmet. I've been told that the university may un-retire the jersey for special occasions. One of them will be when Blaze goes to Syracuse and plays tailback for the Orange. He'll wear his Poppy's number proud. I'm 70 years old, but I'm eating right and staying in shape in hopes that I'll be around to see Blaze wear No. 44.

I'm guessing that Gross told Floyd back then, "I'm certain we can unretire the number when your grandson comes here. I'm the Athletic Director after all."

Here's a hypothetical question. What happens if a 5 star RB recruit wants to come here and wear 44, but he's a grade ahead of Floyd's grandson? Does Floyd, as part of the 44 committee, decline in favor of his grandson? Hopefully this doesn't end up causing any issues down the road.

So you're saying we have a chance at a 4star legacy recruit? All we need now is for Syracuse to be his "dream school".

Honestly I have no idea if Floyd's grandson even plays football, but let's hope he inherited his Grandfather's genes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom