55 years ago today Wilt scores 100. | Syracusefan.com

55 years ago today Wilt scores 100.

Is there any other single game record in major sports that is less likely to be broken than this one? I mean Kobe was completely superhuman that one night and was only 80% of the way there.
Well, not a single game record but Johnny Vander Meer two straight no hitters will never be broken. What's interesting is the second of the two was the first night game ever at Ebbets Field. Cincy had the first night game in 1935 and Ebbets Field was 2nd park to install lights which was in 1938. I wonder if Vander Meer had an advantage because of that.

Well, not a single game record but Johnny Vander Meer two straight no hitters will never be broken. What's interesting is the second of the two was the first night game ever at Ebbets Field. Cincy had the first night game in 1935 and Ebbets Field was 2nd park to install lights which was in 1938. I wonder if Vander Meer had an advantage because of that.
Perhaps topped by Dock Ellis. :p

LaMelo Ball was 92% of the way there by cherry picking and taking advantage of the oppositions severe lack of talent.

Points, that is. Not sure what he scored off the court. How many groupies could there have been in Hershey, Pa that night?

The Truth Behind Wilt Chamberlain's 100-Point Game

I was a 9 year old sitting with my Dad in a car in the Elkins Park Junior High school parking lot listening to the game while waiting for my older brother to leave a dance. I remember radio announcer Bill Campbell saying words to the effect, "Wouldn't it be something if Wilt scored 100 tonight?"

Is there any other single game record in major sports that is less likely to be broken than this one? I mean Kobe was completely superhuman that one night and was only 80% of the way there.
My answer to this question is always Cy Young's 511 wins.

Terrible article from Bleacher Report. Again, using the fact that Wilt was 7-foot-1 to his disadvantage saying he was playing against shorter defenders, but really not that much shorter. 3-4 inches is not a huge difference and that is everyone's argument against Wilt. It is just simply invalid. If anything the reason why he scored 100 that night is because he made his free throws unlike most nights.

Wilt Chamberlain is the Greatest Basketball player of all time and as of right now its really not even that close. Would say that LeBron has a shot if he wins about 3 or 4 more rings.

Most unbreakable record of all time is not Wilt's 100. Its his 227 consecutive double-doubles. Unheard of. Next closest is Kevin Love at 53.

In fairness, I said single game record. For example, the single game record for strikeouts is 20 by Kerry Wood and Roger Clemens. I think that has a much better chance of being broken than Wilt's 100.

My answer to this question is always Cy Young's 511 wins.
Absolutely with the way the game is played today. Just going through the math. A starting pitcher with zero injuries will start 30-35 games/year. If you went 32-0 every year, it would take 16 years to get to 511. If you win 20/year, you need to do it for 26 years.

In fairness, I said single game record. For example, the single game record for strikeouts is 20 by Kerry Wood and Roger Clemens. I think that has a much better chance of being broken than Wilt's 100.
I can never in a million years see someone putting up 227 consecutive double doubles. If anything the three point line will allow for people to occasionally come close to 100. No one has ever even sniffed 100 consecutive double doubles let alone 200.

Wilt also never fouled out of a game in his career. Maybe the most telling thing of his career, if your truly are that great you need to be available for your team.

Absolutely with the way the game is played today. Just going through the math. A starting pitcher with zero injuries will start 30-35 games/year. If you went 32-0 every year, it would take 16 years to get to 511. If you win 20/year, you need to do it for 26 years.

I don't see another pitcher getting to 300 wins anytime in the distant future. I don't think there is an active pitcher that has a legit shot, and going forward the way they baby pitchers, its not going to happen.

This article was in syr.com a few days ago...a typical Chamberlain game.

Fifty years ago today, on Feb. 28, 1967, the Sixers made their second, and final, appearance at the War Memorial that season. (This was after the Nats had moved to Philly.)

Chamberlain made his first four shots to bring the record to 35 consecutive made field goals, a record that still stands. Reddy wrote that the "Big Dipper shot more freely after he missed."

Wilt made 11 of 14 from the field, and led all scorers with 28 points. For Reddy, Chamberlain's most impressive stat was his 36 rebounds in the game.

On this date: The 76ers win at the War Memorial and Wilt Chamberlain breaks a record

Oops. You're probably right.

As a teenager I used to walk to the War Memorial to watch the Nats play. If I remember games were like a dollar to get in.

This article was in syr.com a few days ago...a typical Chamberlain game.

Fifty years ago today, on Feb. 28, 1967, the Sixers made their second, and final, appearance at the War Memorial that season. (This was after the Nats had moved to Philly.)

Chamberlain made his first four shots to bring the record to 35 consecutive made field goals, a record that still stands. Reddy wrote that the "Big Dipper shot more freely after he missed."

Wilt made 11 of 14 from the field, and led all scorers with 28 points. For Reddy, Chamberlain's most impressive stat was his 36 rebounds in the game.

On this date: The 76ers win at the War Memorial and Wilt Chamberlain breaks a record

Syracuse native Al Meltzer did the televised pbp in those years on Channel 17. I remember during that streak he was...32 ! 33 ! 34 !...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom