$87,922 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

$87,922

Im
Saying it’s a choice to pay 80k for cuse and 24 for umass. It always was. The college degree comes w prestige networking knowledge and a community.

I’m in La This week. I see a guy w an SU hat I nod approvingly. It matters being an SU grad. Cost is up for debate what it’s worth

a hat's only 30 bucks my good sir

/s

Anyone know what the ratio of administrators to students is at SU?

Yup...and then spend money like the government so they can claim non-profit lol.
We should start NIL for the undergrads. So four years 350 K plus books and incidentals.. I think a parent would be better off if they bought their kids a house and a car and let them go to Community College or learn a trade.

With inflation $2800 in 1973 would (should) be $19,527 today... according to this inflation calculator.

Inflation Calculator | Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
If memory is correct I was paying aprox 20 k when I graduated in 1980. Of course, we sat outside and froze at football games and camped outside of Manley for the best seats for big games. Good times! Entertainment was cheap, 15 cent beers at Hungry Charlie's and four Rolling Rock splits at Jabberwocky bookended the Thursday afternoon through Sunday weekends. It was a miracle I left SU with a liver.

Damn. I remember like it was yesterday...I got accepted to SU back in 2005 and got a little bit of a scholarship but passed on it to go to St. Bonaventure when they gave me almost a full ride and my grades weren't anything to write home about. I wanted to go to SU so bad but I knew if I went to SU with that debt over my head, it would have been hard to climb out of.
What's enrollment #'s year over year? any decline?
Applications and "yield" (the percentage of accepted students who enroll) are way up over last year.

Last edited:
With inflation $2800 in 1973 would (should) be $19,527 today... according to this inflation calculator.

Inflation Calculator | Federal Reserve Bank

[URL="https://www.minneapolisfed.org/about-us/monetary-policy/inflation-calculator"]Inflation Calculator | Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
My entry level salary for an engineering position was $11,000 in 1973 (BS degree). Using that Inflation Calculator, that would be $76,713 today. That seems about right.

Applications and "yield" (the percentage of accepted students who enroll) are way up over last year.
Mine wasn’t one of them, cto. The price tag is stupid crazy. Accepted at Syracuse. But he’ll be sitting in the Purdue student section on September 16 getting a top-notch engineering education. And for less than half the price. Despite being an out of state student.

I loved my time at Syracuse. I bleed orange. But the cost/benefit ratio for a Syracuse education has lost its way, relative to the competition.

Hats off to those who choose Syracuse anyway. They must have money to burn.

Mine wasn’t one of them, cto. The price tag is stupid crazy. Accepted at Syracuse. But he’ll be sitting in the Purdue student section on September 16 getting a top-notch engineering education. And for less than half the price. Despite being an out of state student.

I loved my time at Syracuse. I bleed orange. But the cost/benefit ratio for a Syracuse education has lost its way, relative to the competition.

They, and the alums who are pledging $1.5 billion, know the value.

the money flowing from baby boomers will keep this racket going for a few more generations. there's money in the banana stands to keep kids paying full freight to the bigger brand schools.

ultimately some will go away or some will get bigger. northeastern now has like 5 campuses aroudn the world because of the increase in demand.

it was worth it to me. for some who know they want to run the family hvac or electrician biz prob a waste of money but still a fun time if you can do both.
Northeastern has done some manipulating of their stats to move into the USNews top 40. But they also have a great, long-standing Co-op program that allows students to get actual work experience and land good jobs after graduation. It's not so much an out-of-touch, ivory tower student experience.

$87,922: This is so disappointing. SU, like almost all other colleges, has not controlled costs for the last 50 years (generally 2X the rate of inflation), and it looks like they will not be changing anything going forward. There are many better values in college education out there.

One of our opponents this year, Purdue, has not had a tuition increase in 12 years. They are also the lowest cost room and board in the B1G.

Good luck to your son. He will get a good job and have good grad school opportunities with an engineering degree from Purdue.

An absolute racket. Unfortunately, people keep accepting their admissions and the school sees that there is additional room to move up and squeeze more money out of students.
Once the majority of the students are no longer paying the full price due to the financial aid system, they don't care or even know what the full tuition rate even is. It's a lot like how medical insurance obfuscates the actual costs of medical procedures.

Great to hear. The school needs to get as competitive as possible with its northeast peers to continue upward. Kent has done a great job of building the school.

My dad went to Syracuse. I went to Syracuse. It ends there. My son won’t be going. That’s an absurd expense for the #62 school in the country.

He’s been researching schools. He tells me SU has a 67% acceptance rate? And now it costs $87K? I’m not a Rockefeller. Where’s all the money going? It sure isn’t improving academics.

My one year grad program at SU left me with 4 times the debt that my 4 years at a SUNY school did for undergrad. And I lived at home at SU vs dorm/apartment during undergrad.

My dad went to Syracuse. I went to Syracuse. It ends there. My son won’t be going. That’s an absurd expense for the #62 school in the country.

He’s been researching schools. He tells me SU has a 67% acceptance rate? And now it costs $87K? I’m not a Rockefeller. Where’s all the money going? It sure isn’t improving academics.

No one is applying where it's cost prohibitive. Pretty selective pool.

Struggling with this idea also - unless it's Newhouse (maybe) it's way more expensive for a similar experience somewhere else.

I went to Syracuse, luved my time there, my computer engineering degree has served me well, and I'm still a diehard sports fan. But none of my 3 kids went there. They each went to schools very different from SU. I encouraged my son to apply to Big10 engineering schools like Purdue/Michigan/Illinois and I especially pushed for GaTech, but he got into MIT, so. One of my daughters went to Case Western on an 80% merit scholarship. I did a lot of research finding schools that offer good merit scholarships when my kids were applying. It is possible to get a great education for less money than schools like SU charge. Going to a college with a real Co-op program is also a good idea. I noticed that none of my SU engineering classmates' kids went to SU either, even though we are all still sports fans.

When I was at SU, tuition was $2300 and room and board another $1500. By contrast, SUNY tuition was about $425 if I recall.

Neither of my sons went to SU for undergrad or grad school. It really had nothing to do with cost, but rather there were other schools that were a better fit for their majors.

SU laid the foundation for a very successful career, so I have no complaints. I would probably have second thoughts if I were applying today, however.

Once the majority of the students are no longer paying the full price due to the financial aid system, they don't care or even know what the full tuition rate even is. It's a lot like how medical insurance obfuscates the actual costs of medical procedures.
I disagree. Your will parents make that decision for you and you will care. Had NYU been cheaper, I'd would be an NYU alumnus and not a SU alumnus. It would have cost me 25K out of pocket for one year with financial aid. At SU, I probably had 30K of debt in total.

So how much does SU spend on educating and supply services for the average student?

And how much does the cost of tuition mean to an athlete who will be here until he transfers or goes to the pros and is getting NIL?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom