ACC: 20 conference games starting in 2019-20 | Syracusefan.com

ACC: 20 conference games starting in 2019-20

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
John Swofford: ACC will move to 20 conference basketball games in 2019 with the launch of the linear channel.

Mike Waters ‏@MikeWatersSYR
My guess is home-and-away with 6 teams, home only with 4 and away only with 4.

Last edited:
If our new AD has anything to do with it, I'd bet we get a home-and-home with Duke and maybe UNC.

We have to have at least 2 of the Duke/UNC/Lville/UVA group but I'd like to see all 4 of them. Duke would seem a given the way the matchups have gone since we have been in the ACC

John Swofford: ACC will move to 20 conference basketball games in 2019 with the launch of the linear channel.

Mike Waters ‏@MikeWatersSYR
My guess is home-and-away with 6 teams, home only with 4 and away only with 4.

And this is the photo that was chosen. Poor Tyler in a precarious situation.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 59
Probably but again so long as we have those 4 I guess it doesn't matter.

Yes on Duke, UNC, Louisville. Eh on UVA. They have been good for all of 3 years. Let's not anoint them blueblood status jus yet. Before that they were NC ST for about 25.

And realistically we get 2 very good squads, Pitt, BC, and 2 whatevers. No way they give us 4 perceived star programs every single year.

My guess we see an increase from 2 guaranteed home/homes to 4
My guess is Syracuse will play BC/Pitt/Louisville and Duke annually.

My guess we see an increase from 2 guaranteed home/homes to 4
My guess is Syracuse will play BC/Pitt/Louisville and Duke annually.
that's the group I keep coming up with.

my guess for the other 2 is another old ACC/old BigEast split.

like the techs.

or Miami & wake.

or some combo of...

There are so many dogs in our league, our scheduling's about to get really tricky - 20 committed games plus a Big Ten challenge plus (most years) three preseason tournament games leaves very little under our control.

If the Virginia Techs of the world are replacing some awful non-regional opponent (Kennesaw whatever or some of those teams we've played in recent years), fine. If they replace Colgate and Cornell, less than ideal but not the end of the world. If we're losing St. John's and Nova for the no-name schools in our own conference, that'll be too bad.

Yes on Duke, UNC, Louisville. Eh on UVA. They have been good for all of 3 years. Let's not anoint them blueblood status jus yet. Before that they were NC ST for about 25.

And realistically we get 2 very good squads, Pitt, BC, and 2 whatevers. No way they give us 4 perceived star programs every single year.

If not UVA, who would you want as your 4th? I don't think anyone is claiming UVA is blue blood status but is there a team with a better trajectory outside of the top 4 programs (UNC, Duke, Cuse, Louisville) that you would rather play twice yearly?

If not UVA, who would you want as your 4th? I don't think anyone is claiming UVA is blue blood status but is there a team with a better trajectory outside of the top 4 programs (UNC, Duke, Cuse, Louisville) that you would rather play twice yearly?
I wouldn't mind Miami twice a year...

Personally, I wouldn't mind playing ND twice a year. Helps to continue to build on our past and current relationship, solid team usually, good draw at the dome and has potential (depending on the timing) to be a national or regionally televised game. That, and who doesn't like to beat ND twice in one year ;). Come on now.

Personally, I wouldn't mind playing ND twice a year. Helps to continue to build on our past and current relationship, solid team usually, good draw at the dome and has potential (depending on the timing) to be a national or regionally televised game. That, and who doesn't like to beat ND twice in one year ;). Come on now.
Good call on ND... So many good programs, whata league!

If our new AD has anything to do with it, I'd bet we get a home-and-home with Duke and maybe UNC.

I'm pretty sure that Duke-NCSU will be in line ahead of Duke-Syracuse if there are any new permanent partners established. Duke and NCSU are 23 miles apart. But I'm not sure that any new permanent partnerships will be established. In fact, I could see it go down to just one per school instead of two.

My predictions if I doing 4 annual home/homes

Syracuse: Boston College, Pitt, Louisville, Duke
Boston College: Notre Dame, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, Miami
Clemson: Georgia Tech, Florida State, NC State, Miami
Duke: North Carolina, Wake Forest, NC State, Syracuse
Georgia Tech: Clemson, Notre Dame, Louisville, Boston College.
Florida State: Clemson, Miami, Notre Dame, Virginia
Louisville: Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse, Georgia Tech
Miami: Florida State, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Clemson
North Carolina: Duke, NC State, Wake Forest, Virginia
NC State: North Carolina, Wake Forest, Duke, Clemson
Notre Dame: Boston College, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Florida State
Pitt: Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech
Virginia: Louisville, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Florida State
Virginia Tech: Miami, Virginia, Pitt, Wake Forest
Wake Forest: Duke, NC State, North Carolina, Virginia Tech

Last edited:
There are so many dogs in our league, our scheduling's about to get really tricky - 20 committed games plus a Big Ten challenge plus (most years) three preseason tournament games leaves very little under our control.

If the Virginia Techs of the world are replacing some awful non-regional opponent (Kennesaw whatever or some of those teams we've played in recent years), fine. If they replace Colgate and Cornell, less than ideal but not the end of the world. If we're losing St. John's and Nova for the no-name schools in our own conference, that'll be too bad.
We play, what, 10 or so games OOC before January 1st? If that's true (+/-), we could play Cornell, Colgate and a couple of former BE rivals (St. Johns, Nova, Georgetown) and still have a few other games to play with. But it certainly does tighten things up.

I'm pretty sure that Duke-NCSU will be in line ahead of Duke-Syracuse if there are any new permanent partners established. Duke and NCSU are 23 miles apart. But I'm not sure that any new permanent partnerships will be established. In fact, I could see it go down to just one per school instead of two.

Fully agree with you. They aren't going to lock in any more permanent partners. ESPN is going to want the flexibility year-to-year to schedule more of the best matchups.

Miami is a pretty good choice, as long as Larranaga is there. That guy can coach.
Nice road trip for the kids too, as long as they focus on business first...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom