ACC: 20 conference games starting in 2019-20 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC: 20 conference games starting in 2019-20

OttoMets said:
There are so many dogs in our league, our scheduling's about to get really tricky - 20 committed games plus a Big Ten challenge plus (most years) three preseason tournament games leaves very little under our control. If the Virginia Techs of the world are replacing some awful non-regional opponent (Kennesaw whatever or some of those teams we've played in recent years), fine. If they replace Colgate and Cornell, less than ideal but not the end of the world. If we're losing St. John's and Nova for the no-name schools in our own conference, that'll be too bad.

I hear you, but our affiliation to those no name conference partners keeps us P5. Affiliation to the Hoyas and red storm do not

20 conference games a year. Yaaaaawn. Rather see more out of conference games against top programs. this will just lead us to cutting games against good OOC foes while keeping the crap games against Colgates..because "the conference is already so tough"

There are so many dogs in our league, our scheduling's about to get really tricky - 20 committed games plus a Big Ten challenge plus (most years) three preseason tournament games leaves very little under our control.

If the Virginia Techs of the world are replacing some awful non-regional opponent (Kennesaw whatever or some of those teams we've played in recent years), fine. If they replace Colgate and Cornell, less than ideal but not the end of the world. If we're losing St. John's and Nova for the no-name schools in our own conference, that'll be too bad.
Disagree, ACC is kennel-free... VaTech with Buzz will be good soon, BC is a good road trip for players/strong fan base, Clemson barks/meows, maybe? But, FSU, NCSt, GTech all have their merits...

I hear you, but our affiliation to those no name conference partners keeps us P5. Affiliation to the Hoyas and red storm do not

You're not wrong.

Disagree, ACC is kennel-free... VaTech with Buzz will be good soon, BC is a good road trip for players/strong fan base, Clemson barks/meows, maybe? But, FSU, NCSt, GTech all have their merits...

Eh, you're probably right about Buzz (he's good at what he does), but I can't see Virginia Tech doing anything in the next 15 years that would bring fans out to see them. Same for Wake and Georgia Tech, who've actually done something in college basketball - no buzz (pardon the pun).

As I see it, the old Big East schools, Duke, and the two Carolina state schools are the only opponents who'll get fans in the seats (we'll see how television drives the scheduling of UVa this season; it's a neat rematch, but even that is of limited interest to casual local fans, I think). This can all change over time, but in the near-term, they're the only ones with appeal (and some of them can be tough sells).

You're not wrong.

Eh, you're probably right about Buzz (he's good at what he does), but I can't see Virginia Tech doing anything in the next 15 years that would bring fans out to see them. Same for Wake and Georgia Tech, who've actually done something in college basketball - no buzz (pardon the pun).

As I see it, the old Big East schools, Duke, and the two Carolina state schools are the only opponents who'll get fans in the seats (we'll see how television drives the scheduling of UVa this season; it's a neat rematch, but even that is of limited interest to casual local fans, I think). This can all change over time, but in the near-term, they're the only ones with appeal (and some of them can be tough sells).

The Virginia game now means a lot more. I cannot stand Buzz or VT but they'll get competitive. Frankly they had us beat last year, but I guess that was a warmup for what we did to the varsity school of the Commonwealth.

If we didn't (don't) get White I almost would have V. Tech ahead of us next year. This will be Buzz's first team there that really has a chance to get to the Dance and we've only won the last 3 against them by 12 points combined.

I'm pretty sure that Duke-NCSU will be in line ahead of Duke-Syracuse if there are any new permanent partners established. Duke and NCSU are 23 miles apart. But I'm not sure that any new permanent partnerships will be established. In fact, I could see it go down to just one per school instead of two.
Outside of the Triangle, nobody cares about Duke-NCSU.

Duke fans want us, ESPN wants Duke/Cuse twice a year. It gets just as good ratings as Duke/UNC. That partner is inevitable. Not sure who else we will be paired with. UVA has potential, maybe we can beat them in the regular season for once.

Duke fans want us, ESPN wants Duke/Cuse twice a year. It gets just as good ratings as Duke/UNC. That partner is inevitable. Not sure who else we will be paired with. UVA has potential, maybe we can beat them in the regular season for once.
I'd like to believe that they've already decided exactly how they're going to allot the extra games, and, if it means more permanent pairings, Hoo will be matched with whom, but I have a terrible feeling it may be left to the last minute.

I'd like to believe that they've already decided exactly how they're going to allot the extra games, and, if it means more permanent pairings, Hoo will be matched with whom, but I have a terrible feeling it may be left to the last minute.
ESPN won't leave it to the last minute ;)

with espn losing a good amount of there bigten rights i wonder if acc-bigten challenge continues?

My predictions if I doing 4 annual home/homes

Syracuse: Boston College, Pitt, Louisville, Duke

Alsacs, this would be ideal. My guess is that Louisville is for sure. Duke makes financial sense in the short run. There may be some history here that will dictate other match ups. Or maybe I'm just pessimistic. Living in Upstate New York, I'm not used to getting what I want.

This is another advantage to having JB. It's in the interest of the ACC to match hall of fame coaches.

jordoo said:
If we go 6 HnH can we drop Pitt and BC. Give me Duke/UNC/Lville/UVA and I actually won't care who the other 2 are.
IMHO, there is no way they are going to do away with the 2 guaranteed home and home game series. There has to be a way to ensure a Duke and UNC play home and home each year.

They could add more but I predict they won't.

The best setup for ESPN is to leave the rest of the extra games open each year to set up the best possible match ups in a given season.

The schedule will become even more unbalanced and undeserving teams will finish higher in the standings than they deserve.

UNC-UVA would be an obvious annual home/home if the ACC expanded them from 2 to 3 or 4.

My guess we see an increase from 2 guaranteed home/homes to 4
My guess is Syracuse will play BC/Pitt/Louisville and Duke annually.
I hope ESPN is calling the shots on the pairing to maximize attractive TV games. Then Syracuse should play Duke, Louisville, UNC twice every season. These Duke-Wake 2x for old times sake is a TV loser.

Everyone seems to forget the classic games that have happened in a short period of time between UNC/Louisville, Cuse/Dook and Louisville/UVa. So, there is no way ESPN does not try to have those five teams play home and home. ND also played in some instant classic games and you have to figure they too will be involved in ESPN's quest to maximize their product.

Yes on Duke, UNC, Louisville. Eh on UVA. They have been good for all of 3 years. Let's not anoint them blueblood status jus yet. Before that they were NC ST for about 25.

And realistically we get 2 very good squads, Pitt, BC, and 2 whatevers. No way they give us 4 perceived star programs every single year.
Bennett is not going anyplace else. They are now, for the first time, getting high ranking recruits. We can anoint them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom