Acc expansion thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Acc expansion thoughts

KaiserUEO said:
when the bevo goes to 14 and all P5 teams have a Champion...nd is O-U-T. unless you are looking 2, non-SEC, 2 loss champions. go play the maac champion in the poulon weedeater bowl. the playoffs are for the BIG BOYS.

Play like a Champion*

* but not for real championships

My take on the new ESPN, GOR and Network deals signed by the ACC is this:

The ACC just signed a contract that says for the next 20 years, ND football is not required to join the conference.

ND just got a stable home for its other sports, plus a little cash from the Network, without having to increase its football commitment, not even for one additional game.

I would think that the ACC and ESPN had to have put the full court press on ND to increase its commitment to try to get these deals done. But, ND apparently said no.

That leads me to believe that the chances of ND football joining a conference just went down, not up.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your analysis, but would submit the timing may be off for the ACC push to go all-in. I would guess that would occur when the NBC contract comes us up, which, *coincidently*, coincides if I remember correctly with the Big XII's GOR. To your point, ND is as big of a winner in this as anyone. I am glad they/you are here now and hope one day the paradigm favors joining full-time; they helped in large part to allow for the deal to happen IMO.

Since were having this exercise in fun expansion discussion, id let ND stay exactly where their at, ask Texas to join, and let them bring a travel partner. UT's power would be limited due to the size of the conference, you'd get the second best brand (arguably) in college athletics, secure the conference indefinitely, open up new large markets, destroy the Big12 and rival the SEC as the best conference in football. Might have to let them keep the Longhorn network or work out some small sharing of revenue with it but in the end it would be worth it.

I just found out that ND gets a full ACC Network revenue share without a further football commitment:

David TeelVerified account

‏@DavidTeelatDP

1-on-1 w/Swoff: Says Notre Dame will receive full share of #ACCNetwork revenue, as opposed to the 1/5 share it gets from overall rights.

Teel also repeatedly said in his article and on Twitter that there would be no ACC Network deal without ND.

I just found out that ND gets a full ACC Network revenue share without a further football commitment:

‏@DavidTeelatDP

1-on-1 w/Swoff: Says Notre Dame will receive full share of #ACCNetwork revenue, as opposed to the 1/5 share it gets from overall rights.

Teel also repeatedly said in his article and on Twitter that there would be no ACC Network deal without ND.

I'm not surprised. It's a mutually beneficial relationship.

But nothing tells me that it can't improve for both with full membership. More money, more exposure, better shot a championship - for both. But it is what it is. We'll see what happens.

In the mean time - thanks for the $$$

Tha

‏@DavidTeelatDP

It is not much of a surprise, the ACCN is not likely to do a live broadcast of an ND football game as NBC owns the rights to ND home games and the ACC hosted games will likely be picked up by ESPN/ABC. Still a nice caveat for ND, they will most certainly contribute to the ACCN in every other sport.

I'm not surprised. It's a mutually beneficial relationship.

But nothing tells me that it can't improve for both with full membership. More money, more exposure, better shot a championship - for both. But it is what it is. We'll see what happens.

In the mean time - thanks for the $$$

Same to you.

‏@DavidTeelatDP

Hopefully a lot of ND alums and fans will subscribe to the ACC Network and help to make it a major success.

And come to really enjoy watching ND play ACC schools in football. Really really enjoy that...

I only see two worthwhile options:
  1. Notre Dame becomes full and chooses their dance partner; or
  2. Texas.
Not sure any other school brings anything meaningful to the table. I kinda like the idea of trying to poach Vanderbilt. Other than geographically, they dont fit into the SEC. But i dont think the revenue is enough to entice.

I've thought a swap of Vandy and NCState would be nice for awhile but it will never happen.

I'd like to bolster the northern teams. West Virginia, Connecticut, bring back Maryland, or even (ugh) Ped State. Maybe then we could have a northern division.

Now that the network is set the only potential additions would have to bring great value in eye balls. Fan base and geographically strategic. I dont see any team that might actually move such as Texas making sense as any additional school would have to be financially accretive and i just dont see it.

I wouldn't mind WV, if they get tired of the Big 12.
Don't be surprised if we ever pick up a Big XII team it turns out to be Bevo, probably with an ND arrangement. They probably have more quality teams in their sport than WVU has teams period. I'm sure Texas believes that the LHN would work like ND's contract with NBC and adding that to the share of ACC money for the Olympic sports gives them a nice pile of change. The LHN would have a bigger draw, because it will be the channel for Texas' home games.

Don't be surprised if we ever pick up a Big XII team it turns out to be Bevo, probably with an ND arrangement. They probably have more quality teams in their sport than WVU has teams period. I'm sure Texas believes that the LHN would work like ND's contract with NBC and adding that to the share of ACC money for the Olympic sports gives them a nice pile of change. The LHN would have a bigger draw, because it will be the channel for Texas' home games.

How would the LHN work if they came to the Acc?

How would the LHN work if they came to the Acc?
A LOT of people on a LOT of boards only want Bevo to join like ND did, X number of football games vs. ACC teams each year and full Olympic sports membership, because of how they behaved while in the Big XII. It would put a limit on their trying to be the ultimate power of the conference. Yes, Texas would like football membership in a conference, too, but I think that they believe they could put together an attractive schedule each year as an independent in football like ND. AMOF, the ND fans I asked said they would definitely jump at the chance of having Texas on their schedule every year if Texas has the same arrangement with the ACC that ND has. The Big XII schools need to remember that the only Big XII game on Texas' schedule that really matters to them is Oklahoma. Every other team is readily interchangeable with someone else. The Okies, ND, BYU, plus 5 or 6 ACC games gives them not too many blanks to fill in. The LHN would work like ND's NBC contract for football and broadcast selected Olympic sports Texas home games plus replays of all Texas past games.

A LOT of people on a LOT of boards only want Bevo to join like ND did, X number of football games vs. ACC teams each year and full Olympic sports membership, because of how they behaved while in the Big XII. It would put a limit on their trying to be the ultimate power of the conference. Yes, Texas would like football membership in a conference, too, but I think that they believe they could put together an attractive schedule each year as an independent in football like ND. AMOF, the ND fans I asked said they would definitely jump at the chance of having Texas on their schedule every year if Texas has the same arrangement with the ACC that ND has. The Big XII schools need to remember that the only Big XII game on Texas' schedule that really matters to them is Oklahoma. Every other team is readily interchangeable with someone else. The Okies, ND, BYU, plus 5 or 6 ACC games gives them not too many blanks to fill in. The LHN would work like ND's NBC contract for football and broadcast selected Olympic sports Texas home games plus replays of all Texas past games.
Not sure how that works out with the ACC network. UT can act how they want when their league doesn't have its own network, but things change when they are 'in' a league with one. And I ask, because I don't know, how will ND's NBC contract work when the ACCN goes live? Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of ND being half in/half out, but I understand why it was done. If UT gets any benefit ($$$) from the ACCN, I'd want something from the LHN. Also, not sure I'd want another narcissistic mouth to feed and have to deal with.

Not sure how that works out with the ACC network. UT can act how they want when their league doesn't have its own network, but things change when they are 'in' a league with one. And I ask, because I don't know, how will ND's NBC contract work when the ACCN goes live? Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of ND being half in/half out, but I understand why it was done. If UT gets any benefit ($$$) from the ACCN, I'd want something from the LHN. Also, not sure I'd want another narcissistic mouth to feed and have to deal with.
From what I've seen, ND's NBC contract is unaffected by the ACCN since it only covers ND's home football games. Under the rules/procedures/policies/whatever they're called of the NCAA, the home team always owns the broadcast rights, which is why the ND v. ACC games are on NBC when played in South Bend, but ESPN/ABC when they're in the ACC stadium (or the Meadowlands games when you're the home team vs. them). They seem to be getting more money (a bigger percentage) for the sports that are ACC when the network starts and I have less than zero idea why.

I only see two worthwhile options:
  1. Notre Dame becomes full and chooses their dance partner; or
  2. Texas.
Not sure any other school brings anything meaningful to the table. I kinda like the idea of trying to poach Vanderbilt. Other than geographically, they dont fit into the SEC. But i dont think the revenue is enough to entice.
Trade N.C. State for Vandy. Straight up.

From what I've seen, ND's NBC contract is unaffected by the ACCN since it only covers ND's home football games. Under the rules/procedures/policies/whatever they're called of the NCAA, the home team always owns the broadcast rights, which is why the ND v. ACC games are on NBC when played in South Bend, but ESPN/ABC when they're in the ACC stadium (or the Meadowlands games when you're the home team vs. them). They seem to be getting more money (a bigger percentage) for the sports that are ACC when the network starts and I have less than zero idea why.
The ND and Texas situations are not totally analogous. ND turns only their home football games over to NBC. All of their Olympic sports, home and away, will be carried by the ACC network. Texas will need to keep their home Olympic contests on the LHN.

Last I heard was that the LHN is losing money for ESPN. they have to pay UT until the deal expires. UT will have to agree to a conference network with the Big 12 or move to another conference.

Last I heard was that the LHN is losing money for ESPN. they have to pay UT until the deal expires. UT will have to agree to a conference network with the Big 12 or move to another conference.

I guess Texas program being mediocre isn't good for business.

How can Texas even think of leaving the big 12? They signed a grant of rights agreement.

I guess Texas program being mediocre isn't good for business.
UT still gets the guaranteed payout, from their view the LHN is great. What I hear is that ESPN is losing money. They have some time left but if it does not turn a profit, the deal will be modified or ended.

Yes, a mediocre Texas is not good for ESPN.

How can Texas even think of leaving the big 12? They signed a grant of rights agreement.
Think in longer terms. The GOR has 9 seasons left. Realistically, it would take at least two seasons to make a move. As the GOR decreases in time, the value decreases. UT is wealthy and can buy out the GOR (buy back their rights, pay a settlement fee, or simply let the Big12 hold the rights and wait out the GOR).

Everyone is positioning now to secure their future. Aside from OU and possibly Kansas, the remaining Big12 teams have little to offer the other Power conferences. Texas is simply trying to ensure their supremacy.