Acc expansion thoughts | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Acc expansion thoughts

That makes me cringe. The ACC is never adding Temple.
Penn State is still bleeding from a deep wound If Temple sustains a good run it would finish them . And , having ACC teams play in Philly would pull most of the recruits from that entire region into the conference.

Penn State is still bleeding from a deep wound If Temple sustains a good run it would finish them . And , having ACC teams play in Philly would pull most of the recruits from that entire region into the conference.

I know they have been a little better, but Temple really isn't adding anything to the Acc.

I know they have been a little better, but Temple really isn't adding anything to the Acc.
That region is as good of a recruiting area as any in the country . ( South Jersey , Eastern Pa. , DC/Baltimore )

Temple is a Philly commuter school. Penn State is a massive massive behemoth.
Temple is a lot like the Twerps. It has 38K students, a lot of whom commute. The Twerps have 37K students, a lot of whom commute. The Louavul (enrollment 22K) folks say lot of those arguments were always leveled at them by the Kentucky fans.

I don't follow recruiting at all, so I can't comment whether playing games there is/isn't good for recruiting.

Temple is a lot like the Twerps. It has 38K students, a lot of whom commute. The Twerps have 37K students, a lot of whom commute. The Louavul (enrollment 22K) folks say lot of those arguments were always leveled at them by the Kentucky fans.

I don't follow recruiting at all, so I can't comment whether playing games there is/isn't good for recruiting.

I live 8 miles from the Maryland campus and rarely see anyone with anything Maryland on their car. I see a lot of SU, UVa, UNC, but UMd is a relative rarity here.

don't know who your team is, but in 3 of the last 4 years, the redsux finished in last.

and they would never had won in it all in '14, for they would've been in the International League.

just sayin...

As an Orioles fan, I do know how the AL East finished up in past years. I'll stick with my comment that watching the Yankee fan base's horror over being relegated would tickle me. (Having grown up 45 mi. from NYC, I know there are different groups of Yankee fans.)

Of course, the fact, that the Red Sox went from worst to first in 2013 strikes at the heart of this interesting but essentially silly idea. And when you try to imagine how it would work at the college level --- with the radically changing rosters from year to year --- you can see how it actually worsens the competitive situation.

It's works for professional football in England with the structure of their leagues and the number of teams and because these are PROFESSIONAL leagues whose composition is relatively stable. There are 20 teams in the Premiere League and the big teams (Four to six depending on how you count) dominate the thing. Being in the Premiere League makes a huge difference financially.

Occasionally there's a Leicester City or even a Swansea. But mostly it's about smaller teams like Queens Park Rangers moving up and down between the Leagues.

I live 8 miles from the Maryland campus and rarely see anyone with anything Maryland on their car. I see a lot of SU, UVa, UNC, but UMd is a relative rarity here.

For someone to suggest there are more SU or UNC stickers than UM ones around DC is mind-boggling to me.

Maybe you don't realize that all those stickers with "Terps" or "Fear the Turtle" are Maryland ones. Or maybe where you live or drive is some sort of unusual Terp-free area.

The ratio of UM graduates to SU graduates in Montgomery, Prince Georges, Anne Arundel and Howard Counties is what? 100-1?, 500-1?, 1,000 - 1?

That makes me cringe. The ACC is never adding Temple.

Maybe the same MBA-gnomes will get a hold of the cable subscriber numbers in SE Pa and So. Jersey and ignore history and recommend it. This worked for Rutgers.

That region is as good of a recruiting area as any in the country . ( South Jersey , Eastern Pa. , DC/Baltimore )

Maybe a valid argument if anyone cared about Temple or Temple football in Philadelphia and environs.

But they don't.

Reading the board today puts me in mind of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe" in which the improbable is real.

CousCuse is the master of the "out of the box" argument.

A relegation scheme for College football?

Temple to the ACC?

What else have you got?

And SUNASA reports that there are very few Terp fans in Greenbelt, MD. Or if there are, they are going incognito by not identifying their cars.

I wonder if there are more Yankees stickers on cars then those ones with the orange and black birds.

I'm actually shocked that there are people who need it explained to them that Temple is useless.

I attended an SU v. Temple football game in Philly at the Vet in the McNabb-era on a Saturday night and there were 5,000 total attendees of which half were SU fans. Shortly after that, the Big East pulled the plug.

For someone to suggest there are more SU or UNC stickers than UM ones around DC is mind-boggling to me.

Maybe you don't realize that all those stickers with "Terps" or "Fear the Turtle" are Maryland ones. Or maybe where you live or drive is some sort of unusual Terp-free area.

The ratio of UM graduates to SU graduates in Montgomery, Prince Georges, Anne Arundel and Howard Counties is what? 100-1?, 500-1?, 1,000 - 1?

Regardless of what the ratio is, it doesn't mean they have a large fanbase.

Reading the board today puts me in mind of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe" in which the improbable is real.

Temple to the ACC?

What else have you got?

And SUNASA reports that there are very few Terp fans in Greenbelt, MD. Or if there are, they are going incognito by not identifying their cars.

I wonder if there are more Yankees stickers on cars then those ones with the orange and black birds.

Hey, I'm in Montgomery County, not with the mouth breathers in PG County.

Come on, you know people represent their schools on their cars far more than any pro team. You could at least look at it as an indicative sample of pride and fandom in particular schools, so it would cover students, alumni, and fans. You just don't see as many UMd apparel, flags, car stickers, whatever, than you do 8 miles away from any other major state university, even in an urban area.

I don't understand all this talk of adding UConn and Temple. I can see Florida State and Clemson being all for that - not. Football drives the bus. Temple doesn't bring the Philly market and UConn brings nothing. Understandably, a lot of Syracuse fans think basketball first and want to bring the old Big East back by adding these teams to the ACC. Those days are done. I would rather add UCF or USF, much more football upside. Miami and FL State would balk at that though.

I don't understand all this talk of adding UConn and Temple. I can see Florida State and Clemson being all for that - not. Football drives the bus. Temple doesn't bring the Philly market and UConn brings nothing. Understandably, a lot of Syracuse fans think basketball first and want to bring the old Big East back by adding these teams to the ACC. Those days are done. I would rather add UCF or USF, much more football upside. Miami and FL State would balk at that though.

Football doesn't drive the bus for an ACC network. Content does. UConn actually does add some solid content and has a subscriber base. Temple adds nothing.

If we expand I hope we aim higher than UConn. Eventually Texas and Oklahoma are going to come into play. The ACC offers an "easier" playoff path than the SEC or B1G.

Hey, I'm in Montgomery County, not with the mouth breathers in PG County.

Come on, you know people represent their schools on their cars far more than any pro team. You could at least look at it as an indicative sample of pride and fandom in particular schools, so it would cover students, alumni, and fans. You just don't see as many UMd apparel, flags, car stickers, whatever, than you do 8 miles away from any other major state university, even in an urban area.

We will have to disagree on the facts of the case.

Most cars I see here that have college stickers on them have Maryland stickers.

With this conversation fresh in my mind. I was just in the Village of Potomac. I saw five people with at least one piece of Maryland gear on. I saw no other college represented.

Try and get a ticket to a Maryland basketball game (in Conference).

If Maryland football were to get good again, you'd see how big the fan base is.

Too embarrassed to admit it? :noidea:

Maybe the same MBA-gnomes will get a hold of the cable subscriber numbers in SE Pa and So. Jersey and ignore history and recommend it. This worked for Rutgers.
All Temple needs to do is have a hack of a writer include NYC in the Philly DMA, add four or five zeros to their fanbase, pretend that people actually care about Temple football, and sell their soul to the devil. Lightening g struck once...

Temple to the ACC?

What else have you got?

The " Relagation Scheme " would co-opt youmger/millenial fans concept of something they consider avantgarde , cool if you will . Thereby giving the ACC an identifiable difference and would set the brand apart.

The " Relagation Scheme " would co-opt youmger/millenial fans concept of something they consider avantgarde , cool if you will . Thereby giving the ACC an identifiable difference and would set the brand apart.

So would playing naked.

But that's also impractical and unworkable.

So would playing naked.

But that's also impractical and unworkable.
In addition , relagation by its nature sets up the best match ups creating better content for the network .