Acc expansion thoughts | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Acc expansion thoughts

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn occasionally.

Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl a few years ago. Wisely they didn't run out and build a stadium for 100K fans.
Northwestern is a brainiac ersatz Ivy league school with some of the toughest academic entrance requirements in all of the P5.

I'll cast my vote for UCONN if they make strides in their football program and can be one of the top dogs in the AAC. Another thing that needs to happen is for the ACC drop divisions all together and everybody has 2-3 permanent opponents, but I think this possibility was striked down in January (conference autonomy) by the NCAA.

UConn would add a lot in basketball and they have a solid baseball program which means a lot to the southern schools. I don't mind UConn being a whipping boy in football, they just need to be semi-competitive, but I understand why BC and SU would not want them in for recruiting purposes.

Adding UCONN and Temple would put a lock on the Northeast and create a solid entity from New England to Florida . The Philly media market , which Temple is in , controls most of Pa. , Nj . , Md. and Delaware. I think it would make the B1G cringe .

Ugh. Just ugh. Nobody is going to watch UConn or Temple play football. Not even their mothers.

If Notre Dame is forced to join the ACC at some future date, you swing for the fences. You don't look for Temple. That's just filling in names without any reason. UConn at least has the basketball tradition, but TV coverage for hoops became oversaturated long ago, and is not worth very much money before March.

Temple is a lot like the Twerps. It has 38K students, a lot of whom commute. The Twerps have 37K students, a lot of whom commute. The Louavul (enrollment 22K) folks say lot of those arguments were always leveled at them by the Kentucky fans.

I don't follow recruiting at all, so I can't comment whether playing games there is/isn't good for recruiting.

Sorry, but Maryland was a much better national brand than Temple or UConn will ever be for football.

3 six team divisions in the ACC with one of them being the lowest rated 6 teams , the other 2 being evenly balanced or some similar configuration . Not teams moving out of conferences or from P5 to G5 to FCS .

At that point, it's too many teams. It becomes a confederation, not a conference. There will be no rivalries at all. You see, I know you're looking for something fun to talk about, but we went through something like this is the dying stages of the Big East, when the basketball and football sides were expanding simultaneously and there were around 20 schools being talked about as full or partial members. It was chaos and not at all fun as a fan who remembers when we used to play every other team home-and-home. That is what makes rivalries and a conference.

I agree with you that UConn is ready now. Temple isn't ready now, but Temple is in a geographic location that could have tremendous value to the ACC if Temple does improve itself to be P5 caliber.

No, UConn has no fans. In a few years, their fan base will be dead.

Neither of them add anything in football. Temple at least adds recruiting in EPA/SNJ in football and the Philly area in BBall. Oh and adding a major media market is better than having minimal reinforcement in Boston and NYC. Not to mention travel is easier for EVERY team vs going to Hartford. Too many of our fans are living in the past wanting UConn. They are worthless.

Do you seriously think that the ACC is not pulling the most kids out of Philadelphia compared to any other school or conference? There's another poster on here (from UVA?) who think we need a Philly school for ratings! LOL

Who do they think gets the highest ratings NOW in Philly - the SEC? The Big Ten? The Big East, if somebody other than Nova is on? The ACC owns the whole east coast. That's why they were just given their own network by ESPN in THIS climate!

Ugh. Just ugh. Nobody is going to watch UConn or Temple play football. Not even their mothers.

If Notre Dame is forced to join the ACC at some future date, you swing for the fences. You don't look for Temple. That's just filling in names without any reason. UConn at least has the basketball tradition, but TV coverage for hoops became oversaturated long ago, and is not worth very much money before March.
Most of the teams that SU has played for generations are now gone . That includes ; Penn State , Rutgers , Army , Navy , West Virginia and UCONN . All that is left is BC and Pitt , but they are out in western Pa, The next team in the league is all the way in Charlottsville . UCONN and Temple aren't some big gets , but they are all that's left to get a bit more northeastern balance in the league .

CousCuse said:
Most of the teams that SU has played for generations are now gone . That includes ; Penn State , Rutgers , Army , Navy , West Virginia and UCONN . All that is left is BC and Pitt , but they are out in western Pa, The next team in the league is all the way in Charlottsville . UCONN and Temple aren't some big gets , but they are all that's left to get a bit more northeastern balance in the league .

Why does that matter to us? I'd rather not share the NE with UCONN and Temple.

Why do you think we need "northeastern balance in the league"? It makes little difference anymore.

And if you think Temple will bring us anything media-wise in Philadelphia, Penn State has that market sewn up. Temple will never move the needle there, other than maybe an NCAA run. And even then, that would be short-lived.

Why do you think we need "northeastern balance in the league"? It makes little difference anymore.

And if you think Temple will bring us anything media-wise in Philadelphia, Penn State has that market sewn up. Temple will never move the needle there, other than maybe an NCAA run. And even then, that would be short-lived.
Temple has had a good run already in the Golden-Addazzio- Rhule era . Temple has a good team coming back this year. Maybe they beat PSU again , I think they are on the verge of becoming an east coast Boise State . They payed Rhule some serious money to stay .

Temple has had a good run already in the Golden-Addazzio- Rhule era . Temple has a good team coming back this year. Maybe they beat PSU again , I think they are on the verge of becoming an east coast Boise State . They payed Rhule some serious money to stay .
It doesn't matter. They will never move the needle in Philly like Penn State.

If the ACC knows it's going to expand again someday, why not do it now? Surely the ACC is not going to go out West, so the next best option is UConn which rumor has it they were very close to getting Louisville's invite. Right now the ACC has the strongest presence in the NE of all the conferences, but what if the BIGTen decided it wanted UConn? The BIGTen does not care about their football program, they will just be fodder for everyone else. They just want their market. Does the ACC really want another BIG presence in the NE along with Rutgers and PSU? The ACC needs to become the destination place in the NE much like the SEC is to the SE. Another thing UConn adds is content to the ACC network which will feature a lot of women's basketball and baseball.

I also say no to Temple, the ACC can figure out how to make a 15 team football league work until another solid member can be added.

Syracuse and Rutgers really didn't play much until the Big East formed. Army and Navy weren't as regular as they probably should have been, especially Army being so close.

Syracuse and Rutgers really didn't play much until the Big East formed. Army and Navy weren't as regular as they probably should have been, especially Army being so close.
:noidea:

Do you seriously think that the ACC is not pulling the most kids out of Philadelphia compared to any other school or conference? There's another poster on here (from UVA?) who think we need a Philly school for ratings! LOL

Who do they think gets the highest ratings NOW in Philly - the SEC? The Big Ten? The Big East, if somebody other than Nova is on? The ACC owns the whole east coast. That's why they were just given their own network by ESPN in THIS climate!

You don't think it would be easier to recruit Philly? The ACC doesn't have a school within 350 miles of the city. It is even more important for football than basketball since it would also open up NJ.

Looking at 4 star kids per Rivals since we joined ACC:

Big East 5
ACC 4
B1G 2
MWC 2
A10 1
P12 1

But it isn't just about the top kids. There are plenty of 3 star kids in the area. The top programs in the ACC won't look into those kids. But the mid range and lower level programs would take them. If you can make the rest of the conference stronger, isn't that a good thing? Those programs need kids too.

Again we are talking about #16 in comparison to UConn. What does UConn offer besides a BBall brand?

If the ACC knows it's going to expand again someday, why not do it now? Surely the ACC is not going to go out West, so the next best option is UConn which rumor has it they were very close to getting Louisville's invite. Right now the ACC has the strongest presence in the NE of all the conferences, but what if the BIGTen decided it wanted UConn? The BIGTen does not care about their football program, they will just be fodder for everyone else. They just want their market. Does the ACC really want another BIG presence in the NE along with Rutgers and PSU? The ACC needs to become the destination place in the NE much like the SEC is to the SE. Another thing UConn adds is content to the ACC network which will feature a lot of women's basketball and baseball.

I also say no to Temple, the ACC can figure out how to make a 15 team football league work until another solid member can be added.

The B1G won't take UConn. If the expand it will be for B12 or ACC teams.

Temple has announced plans for a $100 million 35K stadium on campus. If they actually build it, maybe they get some consideration if the ACC can't get their top choice for school 16 (Texas).

Frequently asked questions about the proposed on-campus retail and stadium project | Temple Now

Last edited:
I'd like to bolster the northern teams. West Virginia, Connecticut, bring back Maryland, or even (ugh) Ped State. Maybe then we could have a northern division.
Boo
Divisions of Old-ACC and New-ACC would just set things up for a split down the road.

Take the current setup and change the scheduling to 3-5-5 or have rotational divisions so that you play all of the schools at least every other year.

Boo
Divisions of Old-ACC and New-ACC would just set things up for a split down the road.

Take the current setup and change the scheduling to 3-5-5 or have rotational divisions so that you play all of the schools at least every other year.
Since we can't do 3-5-5 and have a championship game the way the rules are currently set up, I think the rotational divisions Alsacs designed is the best way to go.

I hope they still aren't considered regardless of how much renovating they do.
The ACC network needs eyeballs . Texas would deliver that , but what they will demand would be unbearable . The B1G took Rutgers for just that reason and look at the per team payout .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom