ACC Going to 9 Games for Football? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Going to 9 Games for Football?

This could only work if each team in the groups of 3 had a either a constant crossover rival or selected game from each of the other groups of 3. Otherwise you only get 6 games. Since you are always paired with one of the other groups one of those 3 games is covered when your group is paired with another making 8.

Actually this might allow 3+5+5 to work if arranged correctly so your rivals are in another groups and those are your extra games.
My solution would be you play your group annually(2 games), one of NC State or Wake(3 games total), another group of 3(6 games total) , and then just randomly one team from group on rotational level where it would even out(8 games total).

This could only work if each team in the groups of 3 had a either a constant crossover rival or selected game from each of the other groups of 3. Otherwise you only get 6 games. Since you are always paired with one of the other groups one of those 3 games is covered when your group is paired with another making 8.

Actually this might allow 3+5+5 to work if arranged correctly so your rivals are in another groups and those are your extra games.
The Groups of 3 permanent crossovers they play every year
UVa --- VPI
UNC-CHeat --- NC State
dook --- Wake

8 games - 2 games against the other members of their group of 3; 1 game against their permanent crossover from the other Group of 3; 4 games against the permanent members of the division they're in during a particular year; and 1 game against one of the other teams from the other Group of 3.

CuseLegacy said:

This is a great rebuttal. Basically it makes sense financially and competitively - and FSU/Clemson lose one home game every other year and if they want to add a sexy OOC, just drop a lesser team.

Eventually, the season will expand one game and/or the P5 will agree to drop the body bag against an FCS school.

Note: if the SEC is forced to drop the FCS games, they will not appear as potent as everyone fears. Beamer Ball was all about beating up easy win teams and playing one or two elite games and Rutgers duplicated the formula (tweaked it, actually, by not playing any big boys). Within a closed system, wins and losses are equal. Several lower tier P5 teams would not look so good without the annual body bag games - and worse if they were limited to P5 games only.

HtownOrange said:
Eventually, the season will expand one game and/or the P5 will agree to drop the body bag against an FCS school. Note: if the SEC is forced to drop the FCS games, they will not appear as potent as everyone fears. Beamer Ball was all about beating up easy win teams and playing one or two elite games and Rutgers duplicated the formula (tweaked it, actually, by not playing any big boys). Within a closed system, wins and losses are equal. Several lower tier P5 teams would not look so good without the annual body bag games - and worse if they were limited to P5 games only.

Cough, BC, cough, NC State, cough

With Labor Day being the start of the CFB season thru the first week in December. I can't see the schedule increasing.
Especially with all the injuries and player safety concerns teams need 2 bye weeks. An extra game for unpaid college kids isn't likely to happen.

College Football and Basketball need separate Commissioners to help govern the sports. However because the big conferences have all the power they would never agree to this.
3 P5 conference play 9 conference games. Big Ten, Pac-12, Big XII
2 P5 conference play 8 conference games. SEC, ACC.
Clemson-So. Carolina, Florida-Florida State, Kentucky-Louisville, Georgia Tech-Georgia have 9 conference games.
The problem is either these games must become neutral site games or nothing is going to change.

The Big Ten/Pac-12/Big XII can play 9 conference games and still have freedom to schedule because they don't have cross-conference rivalry games that must be played.

Cross conference rivalries don't limit the conference slate to 8 games. The unwillingness of conference teams to drop cupcakes combined with a lack of a home game every other year does. Both are solvable and will be solved (I'd bet by next year at this time).

Teal doesn't float this stuff without knowledge. He's not on a ledge. Clemson and FSU will agree to the deal for financial and competitive reasons. The fans of those schools are the ones who need help seeing that reality. (Hence the Teal articles).

Teel has no inside info on this issue and he would admit that. He also pushes for divisional realignment and is never listened to.

David Glenn would be the guy with real insider knowledge and he has said nothing.

Top football programs can make about atleast 5 million dollars for every home game. UF/FSU, CU/USC, UGA, these 5 schools are the holdouts. They have 9 games baked in every year. Nobody outside of USC/Stanford in the country have more games baked in and that is because they want to play ND home/home.

Teel's argument for 9 games is factually wrong. The ACC would lose content if it went to 9 conference games as teams would lose home games the ACC controls to play conference road games which the conference would already own.

If the TV partner wants more rotation in the schedule they switch up the divisions the ways discussed or push harder for the3+5+5 division less format. If I were Swofford I would go the SEC commish and say I will vote for a mandate to play 9 conference games each year unless you support our deregulation proposal they and the Big Ten blocked. If the ACC/SEC/Big XII voted for the deregulation proposal it would pass. The ACC/Big XII voted for it and the Big Ten/Pac-12/SEC were against.

In reality the ACC and SEC can make this happen with one phone call. Instead of 4 teams with a cross-over, all 14 teams would play the other conference, thus all P5 teams would play the 9 game schedule, with the ACC and SEC playing 8 conference and one from the opposing conference. No need to make the cross over games permanent outside the four. Simply rotate between the opposing conference. 5 teams would be home in odd years and 5 teams would be home in even years. You can rotate through the 10 teams, seed them, bracket them, whatever.

In truth, the SEC and FSU and Clemson simply want a body bag money maker for an extra game at home. As FCS teams are not likely to kill off most P5 teams, playing a 13th game is not really as significant as many think. To keep the two bye-weeks, simply move the start of the season one week forward.

The ultimate point is that FSU and Clemson and the SEC want the extra money and are willing to sacrifice the good of the conference to keep a little money for themselves. The same two teams whining about the extra home game are the two teams that whine about the weak schedule. Guess what? They created the mess buy paying exorbitant amounts for the body bag games and and need the payout to pay for the body bag. If you want to keep the FCS games, make it the first week, before Labor Day. Play 12 games against FBS teams, all home and home series. The seventh Home game is recent phenomenon. FSU used to play anyone anywhere. Miami, too. Allowing a few select schools to dictate for all of the P5 is just playing into their hands.

Everyone compares the SEC to the NFL, screw them. They want to be pros, act like it. Equal number of home and home. Rotate around to play better teams. If you are elite, play only elite teams and see how your record turns out. That is the way the pros play! Elite teams have the hardest schedules in the NFL! Stop being pansies! Stop playing the patsies, suck it up and put on your big boy pants! Yes, this applies to the whole SEC, too!

Sorry, someone had to say it.

Teel is factually correct. Total inventory would go up. They'd control both home and away (conference opponents) instead of just home vs OOC.

Consider this (and don't get to caught up in actual opponents here, think more level of opponent.) For every FSU vs Okie State there are a bunch of Wake vs Indiana and NC State vs Troy type games the conference may or may not have access to (and that ESPN and it's viewers primarily could care less about). The ratings for FSU vs USF are probably better but not as much as a conference game would deliver.

NC State gets an extra conference game vs PITT. Hmm - I'd watch that before I even think about a match up with Troy.
Wake gets an extra conference game vs Miami. Sign me up.
FSU gets an extra conference game vs UVa. Yeah, way more interesting than USF.

That's the value that ESPN is seeking by an ACC with 9 games. Just how much that adds to a schools coffers to offset the 1 home game they'd lose ever other year is the relevant question.

In reality the ACC and SEC can make this happen with one phone call. Instead of 4 teams with a cross-over, all 14 teams would play the other conference, thus all P5 teams would play the 9 game schedule, with the ACC and SEC playing 8 conference and one from the opposing conference. No need to make the cross over games permanent outside the four. Simply rotate between the opposing conference. 5 teams would be home in odd years and 5 teams would be home in even years. You can rotate through the 10 teams, seed them, bracket them, whatever.

In truth, the SEC and FSU and Clemson simply want a body bag money maker for an extra game at home. As FCS teams are not likely to kill off most P5 teams, playing a 13th game is not really as significant as many think. To keep the two bye-weeks, simply move the start of the season one week forward.

The ultimate point is that FSU and Clemson and the SEC want the extra money and are willing to sacrifice the good of the conference to keep a little money for themselves. The same two teams whining about the extra home game are the two teams that whine about the weak schedule. Guess what? They created the mess buy paying exorbitant amounts for the body bag games and and need the payout to pay for the body bag. If you want to keep the FCS games, make it the first week, before Labor Day. Play 12 games against FBS teams, all home and home series. The seventh Home game is recent phenomenon. FSU used to play anyone anywhere. Miami, too. Allowing a few select schools to dictate for all of the P5 is just playing into their hands.

Everyone compares the SEC to the NFL, screw them. They want to be pros, act like it. Equal number of home and home. Rotate around to play better teams. If you are elite, play only elite teams and see how your record turns out. That is the way the pros play! Elite teams have the hardest schedules in the NFL! Stop being pansies! Stop playing the patsies, suck it up and put on your big boy pants! Yes, this applies to the whole SEC, too!

Sorry, someone had to say it.

Agree 1000%.

How about this:

- An extra conference home game every other year $ + increased strength of schedule + not paying a body bag game payout + increased $ from ESPN = a 7th home game every year vs a nobody

It may not be equal, but the closer those two get to each other, the easier that pill gets to swallow.

So the next (il)logical question would be...if the SEC & the ACC were to merge would/could they command even more money from ESPN/FOX/NBC than the BiG versus remaining separate conferences and at the same time essentially locking every other conference out of the Southeast & East Coast?

Not saying they would do that but it is intriguing to consider...

Alsacs said:
My solution would be you play your group annually(2 games), one of NC State or Wake(3 games total), another group of 3(6 games total) , and then just randomly one team from group on rotational level where it would even out(8 games total).

That works too I was trying to figure where to get the extra games as rivalries but they're random now so what differnece does it make. So UNC Wake Duke and NCState get one less random game every other year but all play each other very frequently sounds money to me.

Wake Vs UNC and NCState vs Duke happen every other year but its like every 4th for each right now. They would also rotate through randoms a bit slower but regardless play everyone every other or every 3rd year. Sounds good.

Would UNC and Duke being in the same group cause an unbalanced schedule for the random games because they and either wake or ncst only need one crossover game? While on the otherside 6 teams need two?

Dear Clemson and FSU: Just get rid of one of your cupcakes.

You're either a big dog or you're not.

SEC has no plans to play nine conference games

kirbivore said:
SEC has no plans to play nine conference games

Not sure what you mean? Wouldn't FSU and Clemson want to help their cases against SEC schools? Eliminating a FCS opponent does that. Especially since SEC schools are notorious at lite OOC scheduling.

Clemson and Florida State already get the SEC level respect. Clemson could have lost a regular season game and made the CFB playoff last year.

They aren't going to give up home games unless ESPN makes them an offer they can't refuse. Nor should they.

Not sure what you mean? Wouldn't FSU and Clemson want to help their cases against SEC schools? Eliminating a FCS opponent does that. Especially since SEC schools are notorious at lite OOC scheduling.
Like I alluded to earlier in this thread, I'm no sure Clemson can get rid of the FCS opponent. On the surface it seems to be a state issue.

Like I alluded to earlier in this thread, I'm no sure Clemson can get rid of the FCS opponent. On the surface it seems to be a state issue.

I hear you. I just think they can figure out something when $ and championships are on the line.

I hear you. I just think they can figure out something when $ and championships are on the line.
I myself am opposed to 9 but I'm a traditionalist in that sense. I grew up with 9 teams total in the ACC and you played everyone. I know that's not the world we live in anymore, but I do miss the small conferences.

gobigorange said:
I myself am opposed to 9 but I'm a traditionalist in that sense. I grew up with 9 teams total in the ACC and you played everyone. I know that's not the world we live in anymore, but I do miss the small conferences.

We hear ya ;)

I'm a traditionalist, too, but independence is not an option, Even ND is committed to 8 games per year.

Long run result: 9 conference games for all P5 schools, 13 overall games, 8-school CFP.

I'm a traditionalist, too, but independence is not an option, Even ND is committed to 8 games per year.
So you you're saying that they're as independen*t as Syracuse? Yeah, SU is an independent! ;)

* 5xACC + USC + Stanford + Navy

Long run result: 9 conference games for all P5 schools, 13 overall games, 8-school CFP.
So you want the NC teams to play 17 games in a season? 13 regular season, 1 conference title game, QF, SF, Final?
Any idea of expansion of the CFB playoff should require a reduction of regular season games to 11 or atleast require that no further expansion of the regular season be part of the deal.

No chance an 85 scholarship team would have enough depth or even should ask 18-21 year old college athletes who aren't paid to play that many games in a season with all the injury risk.

Right now the NC teams play 15 games which is a lot. Adding 2 more games of collisions would be selfish.Expanding the schedule isn't going to happen with player safety becoming a higher importance.

3 of the 5 major conferences play 9 conference games now there isn't going to be an expanded schedule because Florida-Florida State-Clemson-South Carolina and Georgia-Georgia Tech have annual rivalries and want OOC flexibility. Either fix these problems or deal with the status quo.