ACC Going to 9 Games for Football? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Going to 9 Games for Football?

Lots of revenue from tailgating space as well, I'd imagine. You should see the number of RVs, tents, etc. that are parked around and near the stadium. A bit different than the Fine Lot. ;)

I'm sure there are other revenues I didn't mention as well, but I also haven't even brought up the fact that the 7th home game revenue potentially lost (if they chose to dump the FCS or lower FBS game) and keep the Georgia/Auburn type games is every other year, not every year. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Just get rid of the divisions. Have 2-3 protected opponents and rotate through everyone else.

Boom. Done.

Just get rid of the divisions. Have 2-3 protected opponents and rotate through everyone else.

Boom. Done.

They can't. The ACC lost the ability to consider that when the B1G blocked that portion of the recent amendment for championship game rules.

To have a championship game it is still required to have two divisions and teams must play each member of that division. Only piece that got removed is the requirement for a conference to have at least 12 members to hold the championship game.

Cheers,
Neil

They can't. The ACC lost the ability to consider that when the B1G blocked that portion of the recent amendment for championship game rules.

To have a championship game it is still required to have two divisions and teams must play each member of that division. Only piece that got removed is the requirement for a conference to have at least 12 members to hold the championship game.

Cheers,
Neil

Do it anyway. Screw the NCAA. Make Mark Emmert stand outside the ACC Championship game with a picket sign. What the hell is the NCAA going to do?

Cheers,
Neil
The 3-5-5 schemes would allow for it. Every 2 years the ACC would simply redefine which schools are in which conference. Bah-Dah-boom!

The 3-5-5 schemes would allow for it. Every 2 years the ACC would simply redefine which schools are in which conference. Bah-Dah-boom!

To be clear, the 3-5-5 model was created purposely without divisions so that each individual team would have three permanent rivalry games every year and then alternate the other 10 teams every two years.

Not sure that model can be recreated to meet the guidelines, since it begins with the assumption that each school would have three permanent annual rivalry games. However, it is certainly possible to alternate the make-up of divisions. I see that as separate from the goals of 3-5-5. But I am willing to be convinced. I have been known to be wrong before.

Cheers,
Neil

If the ACC determined that their scheduling needs are not able to be met via the current, static 7-team divisions, I'd love to see them change divisions every year to accomplish what they want. It'd be (a) a fantastic thumb in the eye of the NCAA, and (b) compelling. They could map out schedules and divisional alignment for years into the future. I mean no one gives a crap about the zippered divisions now, and I bet a lot of ACC fans can't even name which programs are in each anyway.

Maybe someone has already mentioned this but a 9th game (1 beyond the 8 for now) for 14 teams would mean only 7 extra games total - "higher level" match ups would be broadcast on ABC/ESPN but I guess the point is that most of the 7 extra games would wind up on an ACC network as inventory.

If the ACC wanted to go 3+5+ with divisions he re is a possible solution.
Group teams in 3s and divide them up in successive years.

Group 1
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia

Group 2
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech

Group 3
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

Group 4
Louisville
Miami
Virginia Tech

Group 5
Wake Forest
NC State

Combine 2 groups of 3 and split Wake/NC State every year. Guarantee NCSU-Wake play every year and NC State-UNC and Wake-Duke play every year and it kinda does the 3+5+5 within divisions.

Mix

I think they're bigger stink will be the part about restricting the schedule for interesting games. Maybe they throw the 7th home game in there as part of it. But Clemson can't go out and schedule Auburn or Georgia in some years, and FSU can't schedule Oklahoma or some of the others they've been doing. There's too little room for error with 9 game conf schedule. Especially as the bottom of the ACC continues to invest to put better teams on the field. It's not like getting a Rutgers or Temple in the old Big East.

And yes, the ND arrangement further complicates that. 9 conf games, ND, in-state, then only one cupcake. Playoff runs get that much harder. (I know, boo hoo).

Of course, if the promise of $$$ is enough, anything will work.
;)

Details on how a nine-game ACC football schedule could work (dailypress.com; Teel)

Florida State and Clemson are the ACC’s most ambitious and successful football programs. They spend more money, play in larger stadiums and win more games than their league brethren.

Not coincidentally, their fans are the conference’s most engaged and opinionated, and both bases objected strongly earlier this month when I reported that the ACC might expand its league schedule from eight to nine games.

Clemson faithful want seven home games every season, a luxury they’ve enjoyed 11 consecutive years, including 2016. They know an added conference date would preclude seven annual contests at Death Valley and the Tigers’ preferred home-and-homes with the likes of Georgia, Auburn and Texas A&M.

Florida State folks aren’t as wedded to seven home games – the Seminoles had six at Doak Campbell in 2009 and will again this season. But those I heard from see little value in added competition against the ACC, especially if it eliminates marquee neutral site contests such as FSU played against Oklahoma Statein 2014 and will this year versus Ole Miss and next with Alabama.

Dear Clemson and FSU: Just get rid of one of your cupcakes.

You're either a big dog or you're not.

If the ACC determined that their scheduling needs are not able to be met via the current, static 7-team divisions, I'd love to see them change divisions every year to accomplish what they want. It'd be (a) a fantastic thumb in the eye of the NCAA, and (b) compelling. They could map out schedules and divisional alignment for years into the future. I mean no one gives a crap about the zippered divisions now, and I bet a lot of ACC fans can't even name which programs are in each anyway.
I agree completely - almost. The only tweak I'd make is to keep the divisions together for two-year increments before remixing them so everyone gets to play a home-home within their division each cycle. More importantly, with a 9 game schedule, a two season cycle would allow everyone to have one season with five home conference games and one with only four. If you reshuffled every year, someone would inevitably get the shaft multiple seasons in a row.

if Clemson and Florida State don't want 9 games it shouldn't happen. They carry the football flag thus they should get more say.
Sorry it's a fact.

Dear Clemson and FSU: Just get rid of one of your cupcakes.

You're either a big dog or you're not.
I'd like for us to get rid of ours, too, but I get near zero agreement on our board. The other folks simply like playing the other schools from VA. The D-1AAs like having the games for the big paycheck it brings. I saw a proposal that might overcome this. In exchange for dropping the D-1AA games, the P5 teams would pay X amount of money into a pool and it would be divided among the D-1AA schools.

Would they care if it was just the 1AA game that went away and 5 out of 6 years was 7 games and the 6 game year was a killer home slate? With 2 or 3 for 1 g5 deals that clemson should be capable of, creative scheduling could make it work. Probably the year with 6 at home could be scheduled so its 4 home conf + SC at home + ND or Big P5 at home.

Id buy that ticket at the same price in a second for a season of 6 games w/ SC, ND at home vs 2016's 7 games with SC, a G5 and a 1AA at home. 6 big games vs 5, Thoughts?
Sorry been out of town. If the 6 games were a very strong slate then I could get on board. Perceived strength is a main factor for the playoff. The 9 game schedule doesn't do any favors when the 9th conference game is against a bad team. This wouldn't be an issue if we could get rid of the 1AA game but I just don't see that happening. I hear it's because of the state legislature but I don't know if that's true or not.

Sorry been out of town. If the 6 games were a very strong slate then I could get on board. Perceived strength is a main factor for the playoff. The 9 game schedule doesn't do any favors when the 9th conference game is against a bad team. This wouldn't be an issue if we could get rid of the 1AA game but I just don't see that happening. I hear it's because of the state legislature but I don't know if that's true or not.
If anything it's to keep the legislatures from making ominous noises. UVa and VPI are in the same situation as CU and USC-e with regard to knowing that state government pressure would be brought to bear if we didn't "voluntarily" play the local D-1AAs.

Hoo's That said:
I'd like for us to get rid of ours, too, but I get near zero agreement on our board. The other folks simply like playing the other schools from VA. The D-1AAs like having the games for the big paycheck it brings. I saw a proposal that might overcome this. In exchange for dropping the D-1AA games, the P5 teams would pay X amount of money into a pool and it would be divided among the D-1AA schools.

I don't know that I think it has to be mandated from the conference to everyone as some schools benefit more from these games than FSU/Clemson. Virginia and Syracuse are in the "need the practice/need the W" mode (for now).

I just don't get how they are saying "it makes it so we can't schedule a P5 OOC" instead of "we have a tough choice of deciding between an FBS school and a P5 OOC" ...

Hoo's That said:
If anything it's to keep the legislatures from making ominous noises. UVa and VPI are in the same situation as CU and USC-e with regard to knowing that state government pressure would be brought to bear if we didn't "voluntarily" play the local D-1AAs.

I forget that is a thing. It's an odd revenue distribution model.

It's better to keep the league at 8 games a year and get creative about the 9th game.

Maybe something like having one contract for the 8 games. Then having another contract for a 9 game that could be a partnership with the SEC/Bevo. Where they agree to play x games every year with the home team's network/conference keeping the revenue. I don't know if contracts need to be reworked for this, don't care, they need to figure out a way to make it happen.

ACC needs to keep lobbing to get rid of divisions. It's hurting the conference. Just get rid of the divisions, find a way around them, sue the NCAA, storm Wash DC, whatever just get aggressive.

ACC can't follow the SEC or B10 playbook. They have a different profile, but still can be a very successful financial conference, if they're aggressive

I like a 9 game conference schedule and I like a 13 game regular season. Start the week before Labor Day, play the cupcake (D-1AAs get a payday, legislatures are pacified, teams get to work out some kinks in their systems, the P5s get a guaranteed 7 home games!). No scheduling issues, no fuss, no muss, just 1 more week of CFB.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." - Karl Marx
Not quite that bad, just skimming a little off the top to grease the wheels of power. Similar to, but nowhere near as bad, as Nigeria.

If the ACC wanted to go 3+5+ with divisions he re is a possible solution.
Group teams in 3s and divide them up in successive years.

Group 1
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia

Group 2
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech

Group 3
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

Group 4
Louisville
Miami
Virginia Tech

Group 5
Wake Forest
NC State

Combine 2 groups of 3 and split Wake/NC State every year. Guarantee NCSU-Wake play every year and NC State-UNC and Wake-Duke play every year and it kinda does the 3+5+5 within divisions.

Mix
This could only work if each team in the groups of 3 had a either a constant crossover rival or selected game from each of the other groups of 3. Otherwise you only get 6 games. Since you are always paired with one of the other groups one of those 3 games is covered when your group is paired with another making 8.

Actually this might allow 3+5+5 to work if arranged correctly so your rivals are in another groups and those are your extra games.