ACC Network Coming In 2019 | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Coming In 2019

If that's the case, Clemson would not want to be locked into its rival.
Nothing personal but this is a S. Carolina problem. Either beat them into last century or get the politicians to stop the mandate (the former may be the easier option). You have our moral support, though.

What we are really saying is that we are OK with an ACC/SEC agreement. Any SEC locale beats driving to Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, et al. for some of us.

Speak for yourself. Being forced to cycle through the likes of Mizzou, Kentucky, Miss State, Vandy, etc. every year does not interest me at all. Being able to schedule premium programs like LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee on our own accord, as we have done in the past, is great. Having to sacrifice our one P5 OOC opponent each year for a mid-tier SEC team would suck.

Speak for yourself. Being forced to cycle through the likes of Mizzou, Kentucky, Miss State, Vandy, etc. every year does not interest me at all. Being able to schedule premium programs like LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee on our own accord, as we have done in the past, is great. Having to sacrifice our one P5 OOC opponent each year for a mid-tier SEC team would suck.
Clemson already has a built in mid-tier SEC team they play every year. Think about it from a media stand point. You beat an SEC team, you get all the credit for playing an "SEC team" without actually having to play a premium program. So it could be an advantage for a team on the up-and-coming.

I get your point, I take a slightly different look at the situation: TAMU, Arkansas, LSU, Tennessee, Alabama and Auburn are not involved in the four committed games annually; one of which is a mid-tier and one is a bottom feeder.

FSU/UF
Louisville/Kentucky
Clemson/South Carolina
GATech/Georgia

I agree that Syracuse scheduling has always offered good and great opponents. However, playing Vandy and a top tier from the B1G/Big12/Pac is not a bad schedule.

I agree that Syracuse scheduling has always offered good and great opponents. However, playing Vandy and a top tier from the B1G/Big12/Pac is not a bad schedule.

Problem is that I think most of us, and SU itself, agree that playing two P5 OOC opponents in a year is not terribly smart scheduling. Seems like we're pursuing an OOC model of 1 P5, 2 mid-majors, and 1 low-major/FCS. Personally I like that approach given the difficulty of our division in conference.

So if there is some kind of ACC/SEC challenge, then wave goodbye to any other P5 OOC opponents. As a fan, part of the fun of college football is inter-conference games. Some of the best SU memories I have are our games against Florida, Michigan, Texas, Ohio State, Auburn, etc. Not playing Big 12/Pac-12 teams doesn't phase me since we rarely do anyway, but it'd be really disappointing to basically eliminate B1G teams from our OOC rotation.

Anyway, with 8 conference games (and little variety in those 8) and the ND arrangement, there's not a ton of variety left in our schedule. I'd hate to curtail that even further to play the SEC left-overs.

Agreed. When ND is on the schedule it's really 8+1+1. The schools with SEC rivalry games will clearly vote this way (that's 4 votes locked in).

I wonder if a compromise of 8+1.5 would work. That's 3 P5 games every 2 years.
louisville might be ok with 9 as they only have kentucky

It doesn't matter what Louisville or Ga. Tech think. The ACC isn't going to 9 games without Florida State and Clemson okaying it.
Those schools carry the FB banner until the other schools do that FSU/Clemson deserve their way on FB schedules. ACC schools can schedule intra-conference non conferences if they want to play each other.

Need To See ACC Documentaries

What about Vick vs Freeney?

One on Marvin Harrison. One on Larry Fitzgerald. One on BC LB Luke Kuechly. One on Pitt RB James Connor.

There should be one on how Duke football became relevant again. One one Clemson QB Watson, former FSU QB Winston.

Being a V Tech guy, he didn't even touch on basketball. Geez, you could find ideas for a couple of hundred compelling documentaries discussing it over lunch with a couple of alums from Duke, UNC, SU, UL, et al.

Or lacrosse.

The UNC women's soccer dynasty.

Great potential for off the field content in so many areas...

Last edited:
Need To See ACC Documentaries

What about Vick vs Freeney?

One on Marvin Harrison. One on Larry Fitzgerald. One on BC LB Luke Kuechly. One on Pitt RB James Connor.

There should be one on how Duke football became relevant again. One one Clemson QB Watson, former FSU QB Winston.

Being a V Tech guy, he didn't even touch on basketball. Geez, you could find ideas for a couple of hundred compelling documentaries discussing it over lunch with a couple of alums from Duke, UNC, SU, UL, et al.

Or lacrosse.

The UNC women's soccer dynasty.

Great potential for off the field content in so many areas...
Also the UNC academic scandal. I'm sure enough material could be found to put a good documentary together...

It doesn't matter what Louisville or Ga. Tech think. The ACC isn't going to 9 games without Florida State and Clemson okaying it.
Those schools carry the FB banner until the other schools do that FSU/Clemson deserve their way on FB schedules. ACC schools can schedule intra-conference non conferences if they want to play each other.

Makes sense to me - on a Sports blog somewhere, maybe Tomahawk Nation, some one wrote that FSU and Clemson don't tell Duke, etc. who to schedule or how to run their program and the "BB schools" should not tell the "FB schools" what to do either. As Benjamin Franklin once said, "we either hang together or we hang separately".

Also I read that Ga Tech HC Johnson said the 9 +1 model "was good for TV but not good for football" so I think they are with FSU and Clemson too.

Last edited:

U of L's AD Jurich just said they prefer the 8 + 2 model - I believe he is smart enough to know UK will not be down forever in football - their last several games with UK have been dogfights, and as they say in rivalry games, you throw the records out the window as you never know what will happen.

if that was the case the divisions would be changed as clemson and fsu would prefer not playing the northernmost teams both every yr

Again--with 3 of the other 4 P-5 conferences playing 9-game schedules, it is going to be very difficult to find 2 P-5 OOC games every year.

Again--with 3 of the other 4 P-5 conferences playing 9-game schedules, it is going to be very difficult to find 2 P-5 OOC games every year.
Hint, think intra-ACC OOC games.

Chris02M said:
if that was the case the divisions would be changed as clemson and fsu would prefer not playing the northernmost teams both every yr

I think they like playing us. Similar to why Dabo and Jimbo were so find of Shafer.

They want to play each other though and the ACC isn't switching divisions unless all status quo games are saved.

FSU and. Clemson got Louisville over UConn last expansion. They have political capital on football matters and everyone knows it. The ACC won't go to 9 conference games without FSU/Clemson signing off on it.

Hint, think intra-ACC OOC games.

That would have to happen. Which brings me back to the why not 9+1 and then 8+2 for FSU, Clemson, GA Tech, Louisville? If only division games count in the conference standings (fair) it makes more sense IMO. Having OOC ACC games makes the conference seem 2nd rate.

9 game conference schedule. I hate the idea of playing non conference conference games. Ugh

Go 5-4-4 instead of 3-5-5, and that would make me completely satisfied

9 game conference schedule. I hate the idea of playing non conference conference games. Ugh

Go 5-4-4 instead of 3-5-5, and that would make me completely satisfied
Until there are 13 games per year this won't happen.

Perhaps a bi-annual ACC-SEC arrangement for the 8 schools in each leagues would be a good compromise. 8+1+.5 for the eight, 8+1+1 for the four.

Also the UNC academic scandal. I'm sure enough material could be found to put a good documentary together...
18 years worth of content, and 1,500 witnesses. Yah, should be enough to fill up a short docudrama.

Andrea Adelson ‏@aadelsonESPN
ACC commissioner John Swofford said he does not know which way the conference scheduling vote will go once it is taken. If the vote is deadlocked at 7-7, the conference would remain at eight conference games. "It's very hard to handicap that because of the closeness of the actual votes and the straw votes that we've had over the years on this issue," Swofford said. "The only prediction I would make is whatever the vote is, it's probably going to be close unless we end up voting on something that's a little different than what's on the table at the moment."... http://es.pn/2bjdelc