ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 113 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Why would it break the GOR? That makes zero sense logically. Sounds like kook rumor.
I am almost positive I've read that in this very thread somewhere, that adding teams would negatively impact the GOR. I may be wrong and if so I apologize for the confusion

It’s going to be interesting how schools like Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers deal with traveling to the west coast for all sports. They are going to need a whole lot more money for the additional cost. It might be worthwhile for the ACC to sniff around to see if it’s a better situation for these schools to look at the ACC.

I would love for the Acc to add Oregon and Washington and maybe two more, rumor is pac 12 schools were staring strait at a media deal that was around 17 million a year and that’s part of reason Colorado bolted, if the Big10 doesn’t want them and Big 12 wants 4 corner schools, offer UW and Oregon a smaller share if they bring in enough revenue to justify it. I think Oregon FSU or Clemson vs UW on prime time would draw a lot of eye balls. Plus even though there is unequal revenue share coming if they make the playoff it’s more money for Syracuse.

It’s going to be interesting how schools like Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers deal with traveling to the west coast for all sports. They are going to need a whole lot more money for the additional cost. It might be worthwhile for the ACC to sniff around to see if it’s a better situation for these schools to look at the ACC.
Unfortunately they will be just fine, they are going to be making almost 90 million a year for being bottom feeders in the Big 10, nooooo way they leave when we are making just over 30.

I would love for the Acc to add Oregon and Washington and maybe two more, rumor is pac 12 schools were staring strait at a media deal that was around 17 million a year and that’s part of reason Colorado bolted, if the Big10 doesn’t want them and Big 12 wants 4 corner schools, offer UW and Oregon a smaller share if they bring in enough revenue to justify it. I think Oregon FSU or Clemson vs UW on prime time would draw a lot of eye balls. Plus even though there is unequal revenue share coming if they make the playoff it’s more money for Syracuse.

This is where I get off the boat. Let's add Bayern Munich to the ACC too. They'd add eyeballs.

At some point it's all becoming a mess. Let the Big 12 do what they are going to do. Sit back and wait for the dust to settle. Mark my words congress isn't done if this falls further apart.

Tuberville may be the moronic canary in the coalmine that benefits us.

I'd rather go to a Greek diner, dependable and less travel.
Me too. I was just thinking of the big12, and they have a pretty odd set of school's kind of like I'll take the enchiladas with the Gyro and would like to start off with some French soup. Greek diner.

If we don’t add revenue somehow then as soon as the GOR is able to be challenged or dissolved Syracuse maybe stuck playing in the MAC. I imagine people with a stronger economic mind then me will examine what the ACC can do to generate revenue to catch the SEC and the BiG but if adding schools from
The pac is what keeps Syracuse in a power conference I hope the ACC does it.
You can relax for about 10 years. Anything sooner will be good news for Cuse

Oregon and Washington would be great adds to the ACC. However, assuming the Big 10 doesn’t want them, I am 99% sure that the Big 12 will, and I would think those two schools would much prefer the Big 12 over the ACC

I don't get it.

Colorado doesn't move the needle to make the B12 schools richer. If no other P10 teams come along, it does nothing to kill off the P10. So why add Colorado now? Also you are diluting both the current FB and current BBall product.

Unless the TV contract is total crap, why would Colorado leave now? The B12 is something you settle on, not what you want. What is the benefit of leaving now when there will be a spot later should the P10 ever collapse.

If no other P10 teams come, then you gotta think UConn is the other team. So the B12 thinks adding what will be the worst P5 FB program to a conference that already has the current worst P5 FB program is a money maker?

BBall isn't a money maker. The Big East wasn't set to get a big TV contract. Nobody has wanted Kansas in expansion. How does making FB significantly worse going to get the B12 more money?

Heck Temple IMO is a better add and they are about 40 mins closer to Times Square than UConn. I am in CT pretty often and I see less UConn gear in comparison to RU gear in NJ, which I am also in pretty often.

Having one county in the NY TV market does not mean you are in NYC. Ask the B16. And I bet Kansas will want an MSG game and not Hartford, like what we saw with RU home games. If the B12 thinks UConn is anywhere near NYC, they are gravely mistaken. Good luck flying into NYC airports and driving to the Rent.

This won't impact our FB program much. UConn FB brand still stinks. They still have no fans. Even if they get 35k per game that is still one of the worst P5 programs, and that is about double their 4 year avg. They have no local recruits. The Northeast recruits are in NJ and PA. They have no incentive to go all the way to Storrs. UConn will be the least desirable Northeastern P5 FB program for recruits. Being in the B12 with no road games nearby won't change that.

Per Brett McMurphy, Fox is willing to up the new TV deal to an amount that will keep everyone the same and give Colorado an amount equal share. So, while it "doesn't move the needle" it's more than what Colorado was expecting out of a PAC 12 deal, it brings stabilization to the Buffs and puts the Big12 in the driver seat when compared to the PAC12.

Looks like Arizona may be following Colorado.

The GOR is the equivalent of that door in the submarine that you can only open from the outside. Yeah, it protects you, but it also completely boxes you in when something unexpected happens and you need to respond.

Brett McMurphy was on SiriusXM College Sports Radio this morning and he said that the Big12 would definitely be adding a new team by the end of this year, maybe announcing it in the next month or two, but not sooner. He also said that Arizona has stated they weren't interested in moving from the Pac 12, so if the tweet is accurate, someone's info is wrong.

Why add Oregon and Washington when they will be short-timers. They will eventually be in the Big 10. It's the reason the Big 12 didn't go after them.

If they were to join the ACC, they would no longer be short timers. All things staying the same with an increase to cover the added travel expense the ACC might be in better long-term shape if they added Washington Oregon and Stanford. SMU is a solid academic private school that might make sense as well. Other than those three I don't see anything that makes sense.

The Big 12 media deal seems to be setting up a soft landing for Pac 12 and ACC teams that are left out in the future. The fact P5 additions get the full Big 12 payout is great. I really like the ACC, but a Big 12 with us and UConn, Pitt, WVU and BC would be kind of a dream for football and basketball purposes.

If they were to join the ACC, they would no longer be short timers. All things staying the same with an increase to cover the added travel expense the ACC might be in better long-term shape if they added Washington Oregon and Stanford. SMU is a solid academic private school that might make sense as well. Other than those three I don't see anything that makes sense.

Sorry, unless ACC gets a deal close to Big10 they will always be short-timers.

I think in terms of Value to the ACC it would be…

1. Washington
2. Oregon
3. Arizona State
4. Stanford
5. Utah
6. Arizona
7. Cal
8. Washington State
9. Oregon State

I don’t think you can split Stanford and Cal. The ACC could take the first 4 and Cal, plus Temple. That gives the ACC 20 schools which is easy to schedule.

Per Brett McMurphy, Fox is willing to up the new TV deal to an amount that will keep everyone the same and give Colorado an amount equal share. So, while it "doesn't move the needle" it's more than what Colorado was expecting out of a PAC 12 deal, it brings stabilization to the Buffs and puts the Big12 in the driver seat when compared to the PAC12.
It does nothing to make Baylor richer which was my point. Why add now if you can’t kill the P9?

It wasn't that long ago that I got in to a "discussion" here with people that didn't think the GOR was helping and that the ACC should just let anyone that wants to leave, leave.
It's hard for facts to reason with irrational emotion. Keep fighting the good fight.

I'm curious if the ACC adds any schools if it would force a change to the GOR and give loopholes to any school that would want to leave?

I think thats part of the problem. Adding new schools I believe voids the GOR and requires it to be renegotiated, which makes it easier for Clemson and others to walk. But not adding the schools leaves them feeling they arent getting enough $ and makes them want to leave anyway. So it's a catch 22.

I think thats part of the problem. Adding new schools I believe voids the GOR and requires it to be renegotiated, which makes it easier for Clemson and others to walk. But not adding the schools leaves them feeling they arent getting enough $ and makes them want to leave anyway. So it's a catch 22.
Not true. From the GOR:

"4. Additional Members. The Conference shall not admit a new member to the Conference unless and until (a) such new member agrees to be bound by this Agreement with respect to all sports in which it participates as a member of the Conference by executing a signature page or joinder agreement hereto as a condition to such admission and (b) grants to the Conference pursuant to this Agreement all Rights of such Member Institution with respect to such sports."

And lawyers will find a way to get out of the GOR. It's been like 3 years and those lawyers still can't find a way out of it.
Exactly. If the GOR could have been broken, the GOR would have been broken by now. When the GOR is short and finances allow a school to buy their way out, sure, the school may go the way of OU and UT. The ACC GOR is simply too large at this time to buy out and provides stability for a decade or more.

The ACC cannot afford to add any dead weight, and dead weight is determined by TV drawing power. Colorado, Washington State and Oregon St would all be dead weight to the ACC. So would SDSU. The other 7 could be a west coast branch of the ACC with some value. But would that value be enough to the ACC to bother with it? We do need to learn that answer quickly in case it could help the ACC.
At least it would be an easy name change. The PACC.

How? Expansion in the ACC is covered, if a new team is added, the ACC will get a pro rata share increase for the new team, but not a renegotiation of the deal nor the GOR. Sure, the ACC can demand the new team sacrifice a portion of their share and it can be allocated to Clemson and/or FSU, but that creates problems of its own and virtually guarantees the blow up of the ACC when the current deal and GOR expire.

I think in terms of Value to the ACC it would be…

1. Washington
2. Oregon
3. Arizona State
4. Stanford
5. Utah
6. Arizona
7. Cal
8. Washington State
9. Oregon State

I don’t think you can split Stanford and Cal. The ACC could take the first 4 and Cal, plus Temple. That gives the ACC 20 schools which is easy to schedule.

No one wants Temple.

Not true. From the GOR:

"4. Additional Members. The Conference shall not admit a new member to the Conference unless and until (a) such new member agrees to be bound by this Agreement with respect to all sports in which it participates as a member of the Conference by executing a signature page or joinder agreement hereto as a condition to such admission and (b) grants to the Conference pursuant to this Agreement all Rights of such Member Institution with respect to such sports."
Stop it. No more facts:)

You may be confusing the GOR and the current media deals. Adding schools can reopen negotiations on the ESPN deal, but I believe as quoted above, GOR explicitly states any new members will be bound by the current agreement.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom