ACC refs and the civil war | Syracusefan.com

ACC refs and the civil war

OrangeSky

2nd String
Is the civil war still alive for the ACC refs?

I was blacked out of last night's game, but there seemed to be a lot of criticism about the refs being one sided. It's not the first ACC game that I've read that.

Is the North/South thing an issue here, or is it just fan fanaticism?

Having said that, I think the Pitt/Duke game was reffed very well. I'd take that crew for our our Duke game for sure.

I wouldn't say one-sided, just too many fouls called. It seemed like a dozen times some WF guy would go 1-on-3 and then be bailed out with a foul.

They're just terrible in general. Guess we don't abuse rules as much as some teams so it looks one sided. Our guys don't push/bump on every possession. Wake did and nothing was called on them. After they saw that nothing was called they kept escalating and escalting, eventually throwing our guys to the ground etc. Nothing called. Best one was one of their players literally running over Ennis and then throwing him 10 feet. Block fould called on Ennis.

OrangeSky said:
Is the civil war still alive for the ACC refs? I was blacked out of last night's game, but there seemed to be a lot of criticism about the refs being one sided. It's not the first ACC game that I've read that. Is the North/South thing an issue here, or is it just fan fanaticism? Having said that, I think the Pitt/Duke game was reffed very well. I'd take that crew for our our Duke game for sure.

I thought that in football. Calls were really unbalanced. Last night there seemed to be some really questionable calls on our bigs.

Who knows?

Fouls: Syracuse 22, Wake 23.

One sided? No.

Overzealous? Yes.

You have to lop 4 or 5 fouls off Wake's total to account for intentional fouling at the end, but I agree with your assessment. I didn't think the reffing was biased. Wake kept just looking for someone to run into and the refs were giving that foul last night for both teams. On another night, a lot of those are no-calls because the offensive player initiated the contact. And Corbett's been reffing our games forever, so we're certainly not getting the "new guy" treatment from him.

I thought they were pretty inconsistent. There were plays early that were touch fouls or ghost fouls (notably the first two on Rak) and then later on, nothing was being called down low. Bear in mind that Wake's total includes 5-6 intentional fouls down the stretch.

There were plenty of over the backs not called and I thought it was pretty inconsistent.

Not a huge issue, but SU has to be much more careful in the paint when going for blocks. There a few plays were Wake players were running into the paint and leaping into SU bigs looking for contact. Rak and Keita have to be more aware of how the play is going to be called.

I wouldn't say one-sided, just too many fouls called. It seemed like a dozen times some WF guy would go 1-on-3 and then be bailed out with a foul.
That was my thought also. It was like the refs missed the whole concept of charging.

Wakes games are always a foul fest.

Conference games here are the number of fouls called in their games

37-29-43-52-32-43-28 and 45 last night. Thats 40 a game

Is the civil war still alive for the ACC refs?

I was blacked out of last night's game, but there seemed to be a lot of criticism about the refs being one sided. It's not the first ACC game that I've read that.

Is the North/South thing an issue here, or is it just fan fanaticism?

Having said that, I think the Pitt/Duke game was reffed very well. I'd take that crew for our our Duke game for sure.
My reaction was that SU finally has arrived. We got most of the calls on somebody else's court.

The people in the south refer to the Civil War as the war of Northern Aggression!!That's all you need to know how these Refs feel about Cuse in any sport!!

Fouls: Syracuse 22, Wake 23.

One sided? No.

Overzealous? Yes.

Without analyzing the particulars of the individual fouls, this comparison doesn't tell us much. If (admittedly a big if) SU is playing more cleanly than WF and yet being called for as many fouls then the ref'ing was one-sided.

Without analyzing the particulars of the individual fouls, this comparison doesn't tell us much. If (admittedly a big if) SU is playing more cleanly than WF and yet being called for as many fouls then the ref'ing was one-sided.

Even as subjective as I am, clearly the refs last night were awful but, if anything, I thought Wake got more bad calls than Cuse did.

Not a huge issue, but SU has to be much more careful in the paint when going for blocks. There a few plays were Wake players were running into the paint and leaping into SU bigs looking for contact. Rak and Keita have to be more aware of how the play is going to be called.

Right on the money. I wasn't sure what Rak did on a couple, but I have seen him bring the arms down toward the offensive player while jumping straight up in the air to defend the space. That's a foul everytime.

I thought Keita bumped the Wake player pretty substantially with his hip on the one block off the side of the rim he had and there was no call there, so I'd have a hard time saying the refs were one-sided. We just have to be smarter. Cooney trying to contest a couple fast breaks was way too late getting to the spot and those were definitely fouls. He has to do better than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom