ACC Spring Meetings | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Spring Meetings

I’m just curious but where would Clemson end up? Do the SEC or the Big 10 have any serious interest? I’m not as convinced as many others thet those 7 have a landing spot. The only ones I think for sure are Virginia and NC. Clemson has had great success but I don’t see them in either conference

I think the SEC would have interest. Clemson has a history with a lot of SEC schools. They also aren't a direct threat to mining Florida talent like FSU would be. And South Carolina doesn't have the pull like Florida.

Clemson has played (minimum dozen games)...

South Carolina 113 times
Georgia 60x
Auburn 50x
Tennessee 19x
Alabama 18x
Florida 13x
Kentucky 13x

So there is history there. For comparison FSU...

Florida 66x
Auburn 19x
South Carolina 19x

That is a big difference. Part of that is FSU being an upstart program (1954). But that fact likely is a reason to NOT take them. Pretty much up until the 80s they were like how we view UCF today. The SEC has been around since 1932. Every team they have added has been playing FB since the 1800s. FSU is not one of the good ol boys.

There are plenty of reasons to not take FSU, while there is reason to take Clemson, a Carolina school, and a Virginia school.

As to the B16, Clemson gets the B16 into the South and is a big time program. But they aren't a big academic fit. The counter to that is, neither was Nebraska and they are in the B16. I think they have a better chance than FSU, but neither have a good chance.

I should have put the post in sarcasm script...

Also as a Clemson fan, the GOR is the worst thing for us. By the time 2036 roles around, we'll be so behind our football peers it will be all but over for us.

With that said

View attachment 227955i
If Clemson goes to the SEC, it will be all over on the field. Clemson has a great path to the championship playoffs every year. They don't need more than 50 M to compete. What are they going to spend it on. Seriously if Clemson can't compete with the money they have and the fan base they have, with a very easy path to the championship what do you think they will accomplish in the SEC or God forbid Big. Its about making the dance not having the biggest locker room or lazy river.

Exactly.

The problem with college football is that the conferences and schools are looking out only for themselves, and not at all for the overall landscape. The sport would have been far better off if they acted for the collective good of college football, or at least the P5. That would involve trying to stabilize revenue and cost across all conferences, either on an FBS basis or a P5 basis. Not necessarily equal revenue sharing, but something better than what we're getting now.

It didn't and won't ever happen though, because the schools are chasing revenue as compared to one another, in a never ending and self-perpetuating cycle. "The B1G will get $100M/team, so Clemson needs $100M or they're falling behind". Falling behind what? They won't have laser lighting in the team tunnel? They'll only have 12 team masseuses? No bearnaise sauce at the training table? For what, exactly, does a college football team need $100M+ per year? They don't, but it doesn't matter. Someone else has it and they want it too, even if they have to kill the golden goose to get it.
I’ve said for years that if the powers that be in CFB were smart, they’d have created a 75-ish team super league. Modeled on the NFL. One media deal that involved multiple outlets. Regulations on expenditures. Divide into 9 or 10 geographically and historically logical divisions. All that jazz. They’d make more in aggregate than they do today, and the overall health of the sport would be better.

Spoiler: the powers that be aren’t all that smart. They’re greedy and short sighted.

Also as a Clemson fan, the GOR is the worst thing for us. By the time 2036 roles around, we'll be so behind our football peers it will be all but over for us.

With that said

View attachment 227955
I don’t know how. Success seems to be more about NiL and bags of cash than anything else these days. If boosters are still forking over greenbacks to recruits, how far behind can a team really fall?

With that said

View attachment 227955
By the time 2036 rolls around Dabo will be long gone and you may very well be multiple years into a rebuild. Things change quick.

True but my main concern is breaking the GOR. Everything else is secondary.

Why would any of the non-magnificent seven break the existing contract though? There is zero incentive to do that.

There are minimum 12 proud and passionate SEC schools out there. Somebody is going to turn into another Kentucky, Vandy, etc and just become mediocre? What will the fans say then? Our team got more money but maxes out at 8-4?

Very odd all the takes here. Seems no one gets that once you are viewed by recruits as a lesser conference, which is starting to happen, they stop signing with your school.
Are you saying your team is having a hard time recruiting top players out of HS? Lol

Very odd all the takes here. Seems no one gets that once you are viewed by recruits as a lesser conference, which is starting to happen, they stop signing with your school.

gbo your great. One of my favorite posters, cuse fan or non cuse fan. But your team didnt take a step back because you stopped recruiting well. You have been in the top 3-8 classes every year.

You took a step back because you lost your stud OC and stud DC and didnt replace either with similar replacements.

Now that Dabo realizes he needs to hire best available instead of ‘next man up‘ I have no doubt you will get back to being a top 3 program again.

gbo your great. One of my favorite posters, cuse fan or non cuse fan. But your team didnt take a step back because you stopped recruiting well. You have been in the top 3-8 classes every year.

You took a step back because you lost your stud OC and stud DC and didnt replace either with similar replacements.

Now that Dabo realizes he needs to hire best available instead of ‘next man up‘ I have no doubt you will get back to being a top 3 program again.
You are absolutely right. I'm more talking a few years down the road in regard to tv money. I'm probably overreacting but I just don't like the way the sport is headed Clemson success or not.

ND is always about ND.

They will only throw a lifeline to BC/Cuse if somehow they benefit
Every school is always about its own interests.

Did Syracuse leave the Big East for the ACC to help others like UConn and USF, or did Syracuse leave the Big East to promote its own best interests?

Did Syracuse leave the Big East for the ACC to help others like UConn and USF, or did Syracuse leave the Big East to promote its own best interests?
People are dumb here on the self interest scale of justice

We left the conf we started and destroyed other football schools in process like uconn

It’s ok because we “had no choice”

I have no problem with what we did. I do have problem w the hypocrisy

We would leave tomorrow for big 10 or sec.

We left the conf we started and destroyed other football schools in process like uconn

The ND guy is tiresome and I generally am agnostic toward them.

Like you said they could do what they want but if they were 100% in on football the ACC would be a solid three and there would be less of this chatter.

Had we hung around the Big East nothing good would've happened for that conference.

Terry you are correct...I was just stating a fact and agree every school has a fiduciary responsibility to make the best deal for themselves. Sometimes institutions do take less for the greater good or fear of unintended consequences.

Like FSU in the ACC, Syracuse added more value than they received in the Big East. They were generally happy in the BE but FB TV revenue became so important that SU had to listen.

I'd say the vast majority of fans would have been happy 35 years ago joining the ACC as a FB only and keep the rest of their sports in the Big East. The BE leadership even offered this deal to the ACC for their FB programs in the 90s.

If ND remains Indy in FB if the ACC implodes in 10 years I'll tip my hat to you...however, if they join some super conference for more shekels than what does it say about the ND stand on FB independence?

Last edited:
The ND guy is tiresome and I generally am agnostic toward them.

Like you said they could do what they want but if they were 100% in on football the ACC would be a solid three and there would be less of this chatter.

Had we hung around the Big East nothing good would've happened for that conference.
Terry is a good guy...he just believes ND independence in FB above all else.

Terry is a good guy...he just believes ND independence in FB above all else.

There's no second act.

The joke is Notre Dame really is the best marketing scheme in American history, for a place now that minus some architecture is no different than anyplace else.

We left the BE because three schools voted not to let Penn State join.

UConn was a Johnny Come Lately to Major College Football but Cincy, UCF and others did great in the AAC. Personally if UConn joined the ACC I'd be okay as we need another drivable game.

We Don't fit in the SEC and while the B1G is better now as a fit with the NE group I'm okay not being there. However, I'm happy in the ACC despite biased refs and the NC mafia running it. Our alumni and Upstate Diaspora are along the Atlantic Seaboard.

BL: Cuse has been a lower tiered FB power team for awhile. I can live with a P2/M3 as long as playoff access continues. If this becomes as predicted...some power schools will be sitting for a decade around .500%. Cuse meanwhile still has a chance to become a winning team in a M3 conference.

I believe FB's 80-85% TV value will start to wane and SU's value will increase if Red can get the team back into the Top 10 where they belong.

We left the BE because three schools voted not to let Penn State join.

UConn was a Johnny Come Lately to Major College Football but Cincy, UCF and others did great in the AAC. Personally if UConn joined the ACC I'd be okay as we need another drivable game.

We Don't fit in the SEC and while the B1G is better now as a fit with the NE group I'm okay not being there. However, I'm happy in the ACC despite biased refs and the NC mafia running it. Our alumni and Upstate Diaspora are along the Atlantic Seaboard.

BL: Cuse has been a lower tiered FB power team for awhile. I can live with a P2/M3 as long as playoff access continues. If this becomes as predicted...some power schools will be sitting for a decade around .500%. Cuse meanwhile still has a chance to become a winning team in a M3 conference.

I believe FB's 80-85% TV value will start to wane and SU's value will increase if Red can get the team back into the Top 10 where they belong.
Agree with this, football is getting worse to watch live, too freaking long.

What’s really sad is that each ACC institution is projected to receive $43 million dollars this year. Back in the Big East, we were happy with $9 million. When is enough, enough? It’s pure greed all the way around. In professional sports, stability and spending caps are the norm. At some point, the NCAA has to do the same. Any conference making more than $60 million (just threw that number out there) will have to share the rest with all member institutions or put the additional revenue in a NIL bucket to be shared to pay all athletes. It would finally end the mindless schools moving to conferences they have no business moving to. USC and UCLA moving to the Big 10 makes no sense for either institution. When does education begin to take precedent again? The current conditions are ruining college athletics. Maybe I’m old school, but the current format isn’t sustainable long term for players, colleges or fans. It might even bring down our cable bills. What a novel thought!

Once the players start getting a cut of the TV money which is coming I think you will need those huge mega deals.

Doesn't mean it will work out. USC is going to have the #1 pick in FB and one of their best BB teams ever with Bronny and should have a great season this year...then they will kill their program with the B1G move and lose all their fan support. Games at the Coliseum will have more away fans when people want to take a cheap flight to LA and leave the rust belt. I hope they enjoy their last year in the P12 though.

We'd be a disaster in the Big Ten or SEC but if we get a seat at the table we have to take it but if we don't I don't mind the other options. Big 12 with WVU is solid. Or Big East hoops and whatevers left of the ACC for FB. Just don't do what Uconn did and put the basketball program in the ACC losers new conference. Anyone who thinks we'd be any better than Northwestern or Vandy is delusional.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Board of Directors today announced that it has endorsed a success incentive initiative that will begin during the 2024-25 academic year. The decision follows analysis and discussions that have occurred throughout the past year.

The specifics of the plan are in progress and will be solidified in the coming months. Under this initiative, the implementation of the success incentives will come solely from the performance of teams in revenue generating postseason competition. All other revenues will continue to be equally shared as currently outlined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom