ACC Tourney Moved to Greensboro | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Tourney Moved to Greensboro

I was in Greensboro this past Spring all set to go to the tourney when Covid made me realize I couldn’t do it. I think Greensboro is a very pretty little town but the stadium is in the middle of nowhere. NO atmosphere whatsoever.

I happened to go to the Duke/SU game at the Greensboro Coliseum in 1989. We had moved to Syracuse in 1984 and our Duke friend Mike called up my husband and told him he HAD to watch the kids and send me to Durham so we could go to the game together. Holy crap, a WHOLE WEEKEND on my own without the kids!!!

Mike is an insufferable Duke fan. I love him, but he is a Dukie through and through. The two teams were unbelievable. I think we had Derrick and Billy and Stevie. God knows who else. I think they had Christian Laettner, etc. We were #1 at the time, I think. (Remember those days?) Of course, the entire stadium was there to see Duke crush us. When Otto skipped onto the court, a spontaneous jeer of “STOOPID MASCOT! STUPID MASCOT!” erupted. And then the game was on. And what a game! Mike at one point was standing on the arms of the stadium seat. We won by two points.

Mike and I are still very good friends - he went to Kenya with us last year - but on the ride home from the game, it was borderline. :)
The game where freshman Dave Johnson hit two late FT's to win it, right? BE/ACC Challenge IIRC.

The game where freshman Dave Johnson hit two late FT's to win it, right? BE/ACC Challenge IIRC.
It was before the BE/ACC challenge. Dave Johnson was on the team and I have no memory that he hit two free throws to win it. Hooray!

It was before the BE/ACC challenge. Dave Johnson was on the team and I have no memory that he hit two free throws to win it. Hooray!

It was the 1st year of the BE/ACC Challenge which ran from 1990-1992. Syracuse went 3-0, beating Duke, NC State, and FSU.

I was in Greensboro this past Spring all set to go to the tourney when Covid made me realize I couldn’t do it. I think Greensboro is a very pretty little town but the stadium is in the middle of nowhere. NO atmosphere whatsoever.

I happened to go to the Duke/SU game at the Greensboro Coliseum in 1989. We had moved to Syracuse in 1984 and our Duke friend Mike called up my husband and told him he HAD to watch the kids and send me to Durham so we could go to the game together. Holy crap, a WHOLE WEEKEND on my own without the kids!!!

Mike is an insufferable Duke fan. I love him, but he is a Dukie through and through. The two teams were unbelievable. I think we had Derrick and Billy and Stevie. God knows who else. I think they had Christian Laettner, etc. We were #1 at the time, I think. (Remember those days?) Of course, the entire stadium was there to see Duke crush us. When Otto skipped onto the court, a spontaneous jeer of “STOOPID MASCOT! STUPID MASCOT!” erupted. And then the game was on. And what a game! Mike at one point was standing on the arms of the stadium seat. We won by two points.

Mike and I are still very good friends - he went to Kenya with us last year - but on the ride home from the game, it was borderline. :)
The opening tip dunk!

So does Greensboro have better ventilation or something?

Just a general thought. Nix the OOC games and start in January
I think the NCAA needs to pony up some of the billions they've made over the years and construct proper bubbles for these conferences.

Have the conferences create pods (ACC: Syr, Greensboro, Dc) and have 6 teams or whatever in each playing round robin then swap teams out to finish the conference schedule of playing each team twice.

So does Greensboro have better ventilation or something?

Just a general thought. Nix the OOC games and start in January
I think the NCAA needs to pony up some of the billions they've made over the years and construct proper bubbles for these conferences.

Have the conferences create pods (ACC: Syr, Greensboro, Dc) and have 6 teams or whatever in each playing round robin then swap teams out to finish the conference schedule of playing each team twice.
They're not sitting on a pile of cash. It's parceled out to the schools/conferences about as fast as it comes in, or are you suggesting that it be taken away from the championships of the other sports to do this?

NCAA HQ in Indianapolis has no power to dictate how the regular season is played. There's nothing to stop the conferences from doing this on their own. The conferences and schools are very, very reluctant to let the NCAA HQ do more than make news releases and highlight clips about any sport's regular season.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom