Adam Weitsman has been cautious about NIL | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman has been cautious about NIL

CSX_bridge_t670.jpg

Ok let's get to what really needs to be discussed here - what do I win for correctly figuring out who the guests were going to be? $1 million? $2 million? Dome nachos (the old ones, not the crappy new ones)?

Using the forum to gauge broader interest? We are all posting on a fan forum, so we are likely more involved fans then a regular run of the mill person who attends the games on the weekend. We find pretty much any story interesting, and because of that the number of posts here don’t mean that it generates significant buzz outside of this group.

For example, I don’t care about Taylor Swift news, but I can guarantee ANYTHING about her generates buzz on her fan site.
I meant with Weitsman in general. You seem pretty hostile. Why?

True! Who among us has not "done time" in a federal prison?
This is or should not be about mistakes a person has made in his past but about how he has recovered from them in ways that demonstrate a new positive direction. None of us know the circumstances causing another’s transgressions.

“Judging a person does not define who they are…it defines who you are,”

Ok let's get to what really needs to be discussed here - what do I win for correctly figuring out who the guests were going to be? $1 million? $2 million? Dome nachos (the old ones, not the crappy new ones)?
I gave you a like. Congrats & enjoy!

What's so weird about people's ignorance towards Weitsman is that programs SU seeks to become, both in basketball and football, have more Weitsmans at their disposal than we could even count. Being afraid of big money being around the program and something "bad" happening, with zero evidence, is far more odd than a guy bringing celebrities to games and letting the school use his private jet (which again, are positives).

I meant with Weitsman in general. You seem pretty hostile. Why?
Oh, in that case it’s because I know he’s in it for himself and benefiting the university is (at best) secondary. On the surface level, that is totally fine because it is his perogative to be selfish, but where it becomes a problem is when he presents it as university first. Bringing big names to the games is not to benefit the university evidenced by him not working with the university to setup meet and greets, interviews, coach/university endorsements etc. He does it to promote his brand under the guise of helping the university further it’s athletic goals. For example, his whole pay-for-friends club that he is starting is predicated on his ability to get into the ear of people like Tom Brady and Gronk. He flaunts them to show that he has all of these superstar “connections,” even though he pays for those people to be around him for short periods of time. The game just gives him an excuse to get free PR and promotion from syracuse.com.

He knows that there is no personal gain to come from smaller NIL so he isn’t investing in it, he says he only wants a 5 star guaranteed NBA superstar to come in not because they’ll help the team, but so he can buy him out of high school and own his ear throughout his career.

As I’ve said a couple times, I respect the hell out of a guy who can build a business and use his money to his advantage and he is allowed to be selfish, just be straight forward about it and don’t pretend that you’re doing this out of the goodness of your heart to help the university.

Oh, in that case it’s because I know he’s in it for himself and benefiting the university is (at best) secondary. On the surface level, that is totally fine because it is his perogative to be selfish, but where it becomes a problem is when he presents it as university first. Bringing big names to the games is not to benefit the university evidenced by him not working with the university to setup meet and greets, interviews, coach/university endorsements etc. He does it to promote his brand under the guise of helping the university further it’s athletic goals. For example, his whole pay-for-friends club that he is starting is predicated on his ability to get into the ear of people like Tom Brady and Gronk. He flaunts them to show that he has all of these superstar “connections,” even though he pays for those people to be around him for short periods of time. The game just gives him an excuse to get free PR and promotion from syracuse.com.

He knows that there is no personal gain to come from smaller NIL so he isn’t investing in it, he says he only wants a 5 star guaranteed NBA superstar to come in not because they’ll help the team, but so he can buy him out of high school and own his ear throughout his career.

As I’ve said a couple times, I respect the hell out of a guy who can build a business and use his money to his advantage and he is allowed to be selfish, just be straight forward about it and don’t pretend that you’re doing this out of the goodness of your heart to help the university.
This was all over social media and on every sports website. But I guess some believe that getting the Syracuse name out there is a bad thing. And now that I am looking at this picture, I don't see a lot of fans in these great seats in Orange. Maybe Cuse Hulk was right (saying that in my sarcastic voice).

ER-Xb-QXkAMyms0

Last edited:
Really trying to resist being dragged into this again but:

1. Weitsman’s company, Upstate Shredding was the third largest donor to the Syracuse basketball program behind Melo and someone else we all know and love. This is based on data from two years ago so certainly may have changed.
2. Having Jimmy Fallon talk about a visit to SU and show video on The Tonight Show and having shots of A list celebrities at courtside on national broadcast absolutely casts the program as a relevant and high level one and contributes to the perception of the Dome a desireable venue and hot place to be.
3. Weitsman likely has Mark Wheeler on speed dial and does NOTHING without triple checking to ensure there is zero risk of compliance issues. He doesn’t even comp meals in his restaurant for players or potential student athletes.
4. The Dome environment is absolutely a major selling point to recruits and an opportunity to meet and greet major personalities from sports and entertainment pre- , during and post-game, as has occurred virtually every time these celebrities attend as guests has to have an impact. To my knowledge no recruit has said they were committing to Syracuse because they met Jeremy Piven at the Dome, but it’s not a stretch to see how these encounters create a positive impression and point of differentiation.

Last edited:
Man, this thread is intense. I just asked if anyone thought it was weird what was going on.

Just seems kind of odd to me.

If I had a bunch of money, I'd be at the Siesta Key Oyster Bar right now making dumb posts on this board, drinking a mimosa.

This was all over social media and on every sports website. But I guess some believe that getting the Syracuse name out there is a bad thing.

ER-Xb-QXkAMyms0
Ok I’ll bite - so what exactly was the outcome of these 3 visiting? Yes, it made headlines for a day. But has Brady actually come out afterward to say “you know, I had an awesome time up at Syracuse for a hoops game a few weeks ago. Any young basketball player should definitely be looking at Syracuse for their college experience”.

As others have said, if these celebs were actually endorsing SU as a top destination for recruits, it would be seen a lot more favorably by fans. But most people see it as Weitsman buying A-list celebrity friends for the day - pretty pathetic actually.

Ok I’ll bite - so what exactly was the outcome of these 3 visiting? Yes, it made headlines for a day. But has Brady actually come out afterward to say “you know, I had an awesome time up at Syracuse for a hoops game a few weeks ago. Any young basketball player should definitely be looking at Syracuse for their college experience”.

As others have said, if these celebs were actually endorsing SU as a top destination for recruits, it would be seen a lot more favorably by fans. But most people see it as Weitsman buying A-list celebrity friends for the day - pretty pathetic actually.
Jimmy Fallon certainly did.

Oh, in that case it’s because I know ...
You certainly "Know" a lot. We are lucky to have you.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance it is the illusion of knowledge.” – Stephen Hawkings

Jimmy Fallon certainly did.

But are high school athletes watching Jimmy Fallon? Do they care what he has to say? I’d think someone like Brady or Giannis talking up Syracuse would hold a lot more weight than a late night comedian.

This was all over social media and on every sports website. But I guess some believe that getting the Syracuse name out there is a bad thing. And now that I am looking at this picture, I don't see a lot of fans in these great seats in Orange. Maybe Cuse Hulk was right (saying that in my sarcastic voice).

ER-Xb-QXkAMyms0
Ffs. No one is saying getting the name out there is a bad thing. This kind of simplification of a more complex argument is juvenile…

As for a response: how does that image play today? Has Jimmy Fallon been back? How about Brady and Gronk? Do they post fondly about their time in the dome and discuss it in interviews? If not, it was a gimmick that made 0 lasting impact. Players see Gronk on the sidelines once and think He’s magically going to be there every week? We know what will help the team get better, every other school is doing it, and it’s not having Gronk sitting behind the coach.

You certainly "Know" a lot. We are lucky to have you.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance it is the illusion of knowledge.” – Stephen Hawkings
One day you too can see the forest through the trees.

One day you too can see the forest through the trees.
I can only hope that's true. The other day I was in the forest. A huge tree fell right in front of me and I didn't hear a thing. Do you "know" if that is significant?

I can only hope that's true. The other day I was in the forest. A huge tree fell right in front of me and I didn't hear a thing. Do you "know" if that is significant?
Delusion is strong in this one!

Man, this thread is intense. I just asked if anyone thought it was weird what was going on.

If I had a bunch of money, I'd be at the Siesta Key Oyster Bar right now making dumb posts on this board, drinking a mimosa.

save me a seat

SKOB is okay but I prefer Gilligan's or the Sneaky Tiki

SKOB is okay but I prefer Gilligan's or the Sneaky Tiki

No joke, I have been going to the Daquiri Deck for its 2 for 1 happy hour sine I was in college, legitimately.

My uncle moved to Sarasota in the 70s, so I went down when I was little in the 80s, my mom moved down in the early 90s, and I started hitting up the bars in the early 00s...

I love that beach village. It's like my happy place. All those places are so great. So glad a few others on the board know of it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom