Adam Weitsman has been cautious about NIL | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman has been cautious about NIL

Again, I just might be out of touch on this. Honestly.

It’s his money tho, so c’est la vie. Never going to tell anyone what to do with their money.

It just doesn’t *seem* to be helping us, but maybe it is? Dunno.
The only place where this is news is syracuse.com, it wasn't even that big of a deal when he paid brady and edelman to show up.

I can assure anyone who is asking that having Jorge Masvidal or Tom Brady sit next to him for a game is not doing anything to bring in recruits or relevancy to the program. The die hards on this board might care but nobody else does.

Of course he can't coach the players, but in NIL era, starpower and presence will become only a bigger deal aka in recruiting, as he has mentioned. Weitsman is putting SU in a position to point at his influence and will only help the program in a time where money and status matter more than ever in college sports to attract top talent.

They're 9-10, nobody would be talking about that game, now they are. This brings more eyes on the game and allows the program to promote that stars will be at their games.

His presence being anything but a positive is bizarre to me.

Never said it was a negative. Point was its neutral and so far there haven't been any benefits at a time when we are in dire need of them. So yeah it's cool and not a negative but to act like it's something exciting I don't get either.

Just for the life of me cannot figure out why so many people seem to be passive-aggressively angry at Adam because he brings random celebs to games.

The only thing weird about it is those who seem to be so upset. Reading Twitter takes from some prominent orange accounts, and it baffles me.

Just for the life of me cannot figure out why so many people seem to be passive-aggressively angry at Adam because he brings random celebs to games.

The only thing weird about it is those who seem to be so upset. Reading Twitter takes from some prominent orange accounts, and it baffles me.
He can do what he wants but the press release of your guest is strange to me. Going up to Syracuse is not an exotic trip for Giannis in season.

It feels weird to me as an alum. Maybe I’m more concerned by what college hoops is now

He can do what he wants but the press release of your guest is strange to me. Going up to Syracuse is not an exotic trip for Giannis in season.

It feels weird to me as an alum. Maybe I’m more concerned by what college hoops is now
He’s had tickets going on a decade and people keep repeating its going to end badly. Some of you need to take your L and stop being so concerned. On the one hand we say we want a booster to help the program and on the other hand some of those same people get their panties in a bunch over everything he does. JMHO, but it comes off as major jealousy.

He’s had tickets going on a decade and people keep repeating its going to end badly. Some of you need to take your L and stop being so concerned. On the one hand we say we want a booster to help the program and on the other hand some of those same people get their panties in a bunch over everything he does. JMHO, but it comes off as major jealousy.
I'm all in on Weitsman so I can't say for sure it's jealousy. People might be cautious and just think something bad might happen if the NCAA comes sniffing around. Plus they might not understand his motivation. Personally I think the guy craves the attention. Likes JAB. Likes doing stuff for people. Fortunately he is rich enough that money can dictate his actions. Naysayers might have their day at some point but I say, let's ride that train for what it's worth.

I'm all in on Weitsman so I can't say for sure it's jealousy. People might be cautious and just think something bad might happen if the NCAA comes sniffing around. Plus they might not understand his motivation. Personally I think the guy craves the attention. Likes JAB. Likes doing stuff for people. Fortunately he is rich enough that money can dictate his actions. Naysayers might have their day at some point but I say, let's ride that train for what it's worth.
Fair enough. I’m reading tweets and posts by the same people saying this is going to end badly when they said the same thing 5 years ago.

I see otherwise smart people asking why the university puts him front and center.

Well it’s clear he’s been donating money somewhere.

Just wish these people would realize they’ve repeated the same thing going on 5 or 6 years now.

Fair enough. I’m reading tweets and posts by the same people saying this is going to end badly when they said the same thing 5 years ago.

I see otherwise smart people asking why the university puts him front and center.

Well it’s clear he’s been donating money somewhere.

Just wish these people would realize they’ve repeated the same thing going on 5 or 6 years now.
No question that it's unique that a guy comes out of nowhere with no direct ties to the school and latches on to the program. And in typical Upstate NY fashion, many people are going to be skeptical. I just hope there is a way he can NIL this in a positive way that the players and the team and future recruits can benefit.

People who say "who cares" or "odd" to Weitsman bringing celebrities to the Dome/ around SU really do not get the big picture of modern college athletics. In a year like this when there's absolutely zero momentum around the program, the need to stay relevant is more crucial than ever, especially to recruits. This is a recruiting tool.

Complain about the on-court product all you want, the guy bringing more star power and eyes to the program is not and will not be the issue.
No one outside of syracuse.com gives a crap that 2 people with no relation to the program are coming to the Wake forest game. ACCN might mention it but let’s not pretend it’s going to be front page news on USA Today. This is a guy paying people to be his friend for the day and promoting his little millionaires club thing.

No question that it's unique that a guy comes out of nowhere with no direct ties to the school and latches on to the program. And in typical Upstate NY fashion, many people are going to be skeptical. I just hope there is a way he can NIL this in a positive way that the players and the team and future recruits can benefit.
Upstate New Yorkers love to eat their own. It's the misery that naturally comes with living here maybe.

No one outside of syracuse.com gives a crap that 2 people with no relation to the program are coming to the Wake forest game. ACCN might mention it but let’s not pretend it’s going to be front page news on USA Today. This is a guy paying people to be his friend for the day and promoting his little millionaires club thing.
Why are you hating on this. Anything that can remotely help the program can and is a good thing. And you know what, no one reads USA Today anymore so who cares if it is or is not on the front page.

Upstate New Yorkers love to eat their own. It's the misery that naturally comes with living here maybe.
It's in the DNA. My favorite is when a company announces they want to build a big factory with thousands of jobs and the haters come out that they don't want the location in their backyard and/or they are complaining that not everyone will be making $80,000.

Why are you hating on this. Anything that can remotely help the program can and is a good thing. And you know what, no one reads USA Today anymore so who cares if it is or is not on the front page.
But it doesn’t bring any actual attention to the program, it brings attention to himself. He can spend his money however he wants, I support that, but buying friends and bringing them to a basketball game doesn’t provide any actual benefit to the program. Those people aren’t doing interviews on ESPN talking about how great the program is or how players should come here, they come here to collect their paycheck and then go home and never talk about the trip again. I certainly am grateful that he pays the university ungodly amounts of money for his tickets, but that’s where the contribution ends.

You want to pretend like this guy is the saving grace to program, feel free! This is all great PR for him, but so far it doesn’t get more talent in the door nor does it get more butts in seats.

But it doesn’t bring any actual attention to the program, it brings attention to himself. He can spend his money however he wants, I support that, but buying friends and bringing them to a basketball game doesn’t provide any actual benefit to the program. Those people aren’t doing interviews on ESPN talking about how great the program is or how players should come here, they come here to collect their paycheck and then go home and never talk about the trip again. I certainly am grateful that he pays the university ungodly amounts of money for his tickets, but that’s where the contribution ends.

You want to pretend like this guy is the saving grace to program, feel free! This is all great PR for him, but so far it doesn’t get more talent in the door nor does it get more butts in seats.
My son and daughter lost their collective minds when I told them Giannis will be there Saturday night. We should have a sign as you enter the city. “Welcome to Syracuse: Crabs in a bucket”

Last edited:
It's in the DNA. My favorite is when a company announces they want to build a big factory with thousands of jobs and the haters come out that they don't want the location in their backyard and/or they are complaining that not everyone will be making $80,000.
Funny. This is happening in my town right now!

My son and daughter lost their collective minds when I told them Giannis will be there Saturday night. We should have a sign as you enter the city. “Weclome to Syracuse: Crabs in a bucket”
I’m sure they are excited, but does it mean anything to potential 4/5 star recruits or people who are otherwise not going to the game? Is Giannis the reason why people are going to buy tickets to the game? I’m just being realistic.

He's very rich... and very weird.

Those things tend to go hand-in-hand.

Shrug.

What do you mean?

75uy.gif

He brings attention to the program. That’s the point. This thread is a perfect example.
Are posts on a site called syracusefan.com really the best way to gauge whether this story is bringing attention to the program?

What is your exact problem with it?
Using the forum to gauge broader interest? We are all posting on a fan forum, so we are likely more involved fans then a regular run of the mill person who attends the games on the weekend. We find pretty much any story interesting, and because of that the number of posts here don’t mean that it generates significant buzz outside of this group.

For example, I don’t care about Taylor Swift news, but I can guarantee ANYTHING about her generates buzz on her fan site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom