Admission rate | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Admission rate

Well my son is currently waiting to hear back from Maxwell. I am fairly confident he will get in, but we need some miraculous and super unlikely merit award to make it financially doable

I think this is a big reason why that admissions rate is higher than some would think. It's just so incredibly expensive to attend SU.

I think this is a big reason why that admissions rate is higher than some would think. It's just so incredibly expensive to attend SU.
He has some good options so far, including a half scholarship from Seton Hall, so it's going to be very hard to justify the Syracuse expense if there isn't a good merit award that comes with it. But we are hopeful. Maybe there is some secret double legacy prize out there lol

He has some good options so far, including a half scholarship from Seton Hall, so it's going to be very hard to justify the Syracuse expense if there isn't a good merit award that comes with it. But we are hopeful. Maybe there is some secret double legacy prize out there lol

Well, good luck to him and you! I hope wherever he winds up, he enjoys it! I have 4 kids (all 10 & under), so I will feel your pain down the road. Might have to tell a couple of them to find a good trade. :cool: Cost of college is completely out of control and unsustainable.

I had one boy go to SU and two go to Michigan State (we are Massachusetts residents).

My two cents:

Unless

1. Your kid is gets into Newhouse, or
2. Money isn't an issue

Go somewhere other than SU

My oldest LOVED MSU. Huge selection of classes to pick from (unlike SU), beautiful campus, vibrant sports and greek life, great study abroad opportunities...I could go on

My youngest LOVES MSU. The business school is TOP 25 ranked (way ahead of Whitman), provides access to internship opportunities (my boy has interned every summer and has one lined up for June) and like above, great campus, etc. It does not hurt that we get in-state tuition as I was in the Air Force

The knock against MSU is that they admit a lot of students. Mainly because they live up to their mission as a true state university that educates a diverse group of in-state citizens. But there are plenty of topflight students in the real majors (STEM, Business, etc). Their secondary education program is top ranked as well.

My middle son loved SU. Stayed for a Masters and got a job too right away -- but I sent two kids to MSU for the cost of sending 1 to SU...and to be honest, it still stings.

I saw no difference in the education at the two schools. If anything, MSU offered more in terms of academic flexibility

Good luck!

I had one boy go to SU and two go to Michigan State (we are Massachusetts residents).

My two cents:

Unless

2. Money isn't an issue

My oldest LOVED MSU. Huge selection of classes to pick from (unlike SU), beautiful campus, vibrant sports and greek life, great study abroad opportunities...I could go on

My youngest LOVES MSU. The business school is TOP 25 ranked (way ahead of Whitman), provides access to internship opportunities (my boy has interned every summer and has one lined up for June) and like above, great campus, etc. It does not hurt that we get in-state tuition as I was in the Air Force

The knock against MSU is that they admit a lot of students. Mainly because they live up to their mission as a true state university that educates a diverse group of in-state citizens. But there are plenty of topflight students in the real majors (STEM, Business, etc). Their secondary education program is top ranked as well.

My middle son loved SU. Stayed for a Masters and got a job too right away -- but I sent two kids to MSU for the cost of sending 1 to SU...and to be honest, it still stings.

I saw no difference in the education at the two schools. If anything, MSU offered more in terms of academic flexibility

Good luck!
3. You get a good aid package.

I went to SU from '99-'03. Came out with about half a year's worth of student loans for 4 years, roughly $25-30K. Which I felt was well worth it. If I would have gone to a SUNY school, I probably would have had zero debt. But I felt like it was worth it for the big-time sports and experiences.

There are also other programs that are worthwhile and well worth the education you receive. If you're paying full price, then it may not be worth it. I don't think many are, unless they've changed how they run things in financial aid.

could be true for any school. Schools that have honors colleges within the college, some state schools have reduced or are tuition free for instate residents that have above average grades and boards, and specialty schools or programs within the college that more difficult to get into (similar to the above mentioned SU Newhouse/Falk/Whitman)
This happened with my daughter, she is tuition free at FSU. She was also accepted at SU which would have had an academic price tag of about $55K per year.

It's a smart incentive to keep good kids in state, and difficult for a private to compete with.

I went to SU from '99-'03. Came out with about half a year's worth of student loans for 4 years, roughly $25-30K. Which I felt was well worth it. If I would have gone to a SUNY school, I probably would have had zero debt. But I felt like it was worth it for the big-time sports and experiences.

There are also other programs that are worthwhile and well worth the education you receive. If you're paying full price, then it may not be worth it. I don't think many are, unless they've changed how they run things in financial aid.

I went to ESF, which was a steal. Had a scholarship so my tuition and expenses was covered, but still got to be part of big time college sports. The company I worked for paid for my MBA, so I never really paid anything for schooling.

My two criteria for my kids are:
1) Don’t major in anything outside of STEM.
2) Find a way to work the system to pay as little as you have to. The difference between a Cornell engineering degree and a SUNY one wouldn’t have been worth the massive additional expense.

Well my son is currently waiting to hear back from Maxwell. I am fairly confident he will get in, but we need some miraculous and super unlikely merit award to make it financially doable
They do a scholarship essay contest for incoming freshman. One of our AZ alum won one about 6 years ago. You write an essay or some sort of plan to be implemented, and then if you are a finalist you come to SU to present it to Maxwell faculty.

My two cents:

Unless

2. Money isn't an issue

Good luck!
Maxwell is up there with Newhouse. And also our sports management program is tops, as well as architecture. For most others, I would agree.

very true...but the economics are so much different that 20 years ago. It's shocking how SU prices themselves.

Maxwell is up there with Newhouse. And also our sports management program is tops, as well as architecture. For most others, I would agree.
Maxwell's Grad Program. Maxwell undergrad is really just part of A&S

very true...but the economics are so much different that 20 years ago. It's shocking how SU prices themselves.
If you're comparing SU against state schools, yeah, there's a big discrepancy. But, have you priced other peer private universities? It's comparable. My daughter graduated from SU last May, summa cum laude from Newhouse (gotta brag a little). Her final 3 were SU, Boston U and Northeastern. Very similar price tags, but she got a better merit aid package at SU and then she added multiple grants and scholarships along the way because of her hustle and drive. Her last semester was basically free and her student loan debt is very manageable.

If you're comparing SU against state schools, yeah, there's a big discrepancy. But, have you priced other peer private universities? It's comparable. My daughter graduated from SU last May, summa cum laude from Newhouse (gotta brag a little). Her final 3 were SU, Boston U and Northeastern. Very similar price tags, but she got a better merit aid package at SU and then she added multiple grants and scholarships along the way because of her hustle and drive. Her last semester was basically free and her student loan debt is very manageable.
I’m comparing peer educations

Hard to read alot into recent acceptance/admissions stats anymore. The Common Application and Test Optional methods have skewed the numbers, along with alot of students taking a gap year during COVID.

Maxwell's Grad Program. Maxwell undergrad is really just part of A&S
I believe about 6 years ago they moved some of it directly into Maxwell.

Yep, that’s me, Policy Studies. Spent a lot of time in Maxwell but got a A&S degree
Same. I don’t really talk about it anymore, but when I first graduated I sure was pround of “policy degree from Syracuse”

Big issue right now is declining college enrollment. Time for colleges

I've always wanted to go tailgate at The Grove. I'm sending my son to Ole Miss. If he can't get in there, then UTEP or DeVry in the mall.
Thornden park is nicer than the grove
I ve been there not all that great
Neither is ole miss eithrr
Oxford is cool though

My two cents:

Unless

2. Money isn't an issue
Bingo. Really the only reason to go to any private school outside the traditional high-tier schools (cornell, harvard, UVA, Duke, etc.) is you get into their premiere program or you don't care about money. Very hard to justify 75-80K/year with 7%+ interest

Last edited:
I believe about 6 years ago they moved some of it directly into Maxwell.
Linda - may I buy you a coffee one of these days to discuss Alex?

He really loves Syracuse - the campus, vibe, etc. But the only way he’d go is if there were great scholarship opps for him out there.

He’s got the grades (so far), does all the right stuff - sports, charitable service, etc. And he’s a registered member of the Navajo Nation (dunno if that helps these days or not). Perhaps his dad and grand-dad having Syracuse degrees helps?

Maybe there’s someone you know up on the Hill who could help guide us? You haven’t seen him in 5 or 6 years - but he’s really blossomed. Very sweet kid.

Please let me know, ok? I’d be grateful.

I've always wanted to go tailgate at The Grove. I'm sending my son to Ole Miss. If he can't get in there, then UTEP or DeVry in the mall.
The Grove lives up to expectations too. 2nd best tailgating scene I've experienced behind LSU. Oxford is a nice little town too about an hour drive from Memphis. That being said, feel bad for whatever dummies fail to make the 97% cut to get in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom