AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

Dave Meltzer says that Bryan Danielson will likely be an ongoing presence on the Saturday show. Since Tony has said that, were something to happen to him, Danielson would be the choice to step in for him. So I think you will see his influence on Saturdays. Danielson came back and had a strap match with Ricky Starks that Meltzer called the best strap match he's ever seen.

I think Mark Henry's sarcastic tweet above is a fair analysis on the situation. The roots of the problems are still there.

That being said,100% agree with the firing of CM Punk. You can't react to adversity, agitation or childish stuff even if you might be in the right with the aggressive behaviour he has shown. There are agitators - and Punk is an escalator when faced with adversity -- which is not good. For example Jack Perry was clearly in the wrong at All-in and being a dick, but then CM Punk took the worst possible way to resolve the issue by physically escalating things to an unacceptable level. A leader like he wants to be should be able to de-escalate or find other ways to resolve things even if some continue to try to poke the bear. And to be fair Punk was guilty of the same poking the bear at times - both sides like to dish but not take.

Tony had not rectified the situation between the 2 groups, and it was clear that one side (The Elite) had no interest in resolving things and the other may not be that co-operative. Sensitivities were going to be on high moving forward, and any slight would be amplified. It was an untenable environment because Tony could not resolve the root of the issues between them.

I think the fact that TK let the Young Bucks run around and make a mockery of the situation and then let Moxley beatdown Punk after the show, shows that he is letting the inmates run the asylum. Its not something you allow when you are within a legal situation.

I do think TK is also being 100% honest in that he felt threatened. He is not a liar in my view. He just gets taken advantage of quite easily in my view. But still have to give him credit to where he has got AEW in 4 years amidst the various chaos that he is not great at controlling.

Last edited:

I think Mark Henry's sarcastic tweet above is a fair analysis on the situation. The roots of the problems are still there.

That being said,100% agree with the firing of CM Punk. You can't react to adversity, agitation or childish stuff even if you might be in the right with the aggressive behaviour he has shown. There are agitators - and Punk is an escalator when faced with adversity -- which is not good. For example Jack Perry was clearly in the wrong at All-in and being a dick, but then CM Punk took the worst possible way to resolve the issue by physically escalating things to an unacceptable level. A leader like he wants to be should be able to de-escalate or find other ways to resolve things even if some continue to try to poke the bear. And to be fair Punk was guilty of the same poking the bear at times - both sides like to dish but not take.

Tony had not rectified the situation between the 2 groups, and it was clear that one side (The Elite) had no interest in resolving things and the other may not be that co-operative. Sensitivities were going to be on high moving forward, and any slight would be amplified. It was an untenable environment because Tony could not resolve the root of the issues between them.

I think the fact that TK let the Young Bucks run around and make a mockery of the situation and then let Moxley beatdown Punk after the show, shows that he is letting the inmates run the asylum. Its not something you allow when you are within a legal situation.

I do think TK is also being 100% honest in that he felt threatened. He is not a liar in my view. He just gets taken advantage of quite easily in my view. But still have to give him credit to where he has got AEW in 4 years amidst the various chaos that he is not great at controlling.
TK has to be the boss. He can't be one of the boys. Vince learned that lesson early on too and had to make the move to being the boss. TK needs people behind the scenes that have his back as well... and not just The Elite and others calling the shots, etc.

I heard part of Mark speaking on this driving to work. He had more to say...

TK has to be the boss. He can't be one of the boys. Vince learned that lesson early on too and had to make the move to being the boss. TK needs people behind the scenes that have his back as well... and not just The Elite and others calling the shots, etc.

I heard part of Mark speaking on this driving to work. He had more to say...
In fairness, What has Mark Henry done since joining AEW besides getting a paycheck for doing virtually nothing? Even Paul Wight seems overworked by comparison.

In fairness, What has Mark Henry done since joining AEW besides getting a paycheck for doing virtually nothing? Even Paul Wight seems overworked by comparison.
It's time for the main event...

Punk is outrageously soft. I wouldnt say the guy was in the wrong 100% of the time (no one is) but man, he was in the wrong a lot and had a great knack for escalating situations.

Punk is outrageously soft. I wouldnt say the guy was in the wrong 100% of the time (no one is) but man, he was in the wrong a lot and had a great knack for escalating situations.

I would say both sides are extremely soft. But one dealt with it passively aggressively or running to Meltzer to get their “story” out.. the other escalated things at the most inappropriate times either verbally or physically.

Punks is more fireable… deservedly fireable. But TK needs to do a better job controlling the agitating factors not only on this situation but all … and he also needs to do a better job of putting his foot down and saying we are doing this because I think it’s best for business and convincing mediating properly.

I would say both sides are extremely soft. But one dealt with it passively aggressively or running to Meltzer to get their “story” out.. the other escalated things at the most inappropriate times either verbally or physically.

Punks is more fireable… deservedly fireable. But TK needs to do a better job controlling the agitating factors not only on this situation but all … and he also needs to do a better job of putting his foot down and saying we are doing this because I think it’s best for business and convincing mediating properly.

I mean Punk basically assaulted the elite. (Ace Steel bit Omega!) Why would they want to work with the guy? They just signed huge money deals to stay there. There's not really any incentive to work with a guy who assaulted you and called you out.

I think it's a nice sentiment to say Tony should just put his foot down or whatever, but what happens when the Bucks/Kenny say no, we dont want to work with Punk? (Fwiw, there was recent reporting Kenny was probably willing to work with Punk in the near future, but put that aside). You want to fire guys because they dont want to work with someone who assaulted them? Seems like a pretty easy lawsuit to me. (Either that, or dont sign them and hand them and Hangman to WWE on a silver platter, which considering what happened when Cody went over, seems unwise)

I mean Punk basically assaulted the elite. (Ace Steel bit Omega!) Why would they want to work with the guy? They just signed huge money deals to stay there. There's not really any incentive to work with a guy who assaulted you and called you out.

I think it's a nice sentiment to say Tony should just put his foot down or whatever, but what happens when the Bucks/Kenny say no, we dont want to work with Punk? (Fwiw, there was recent reporting Kenny was probably willing to work with Punk in the near future, but put that aside). You want to fire guys because they dont want to work with someone who assaulted them? Seems like a pretty easy lawsuit to me. (Either that, or dont sign them and hand them and Hangman to WWE on a silver platter, which considering what happened when Cody went over, seems unwise)

I'm sorry but if 4 or 5 guys aggressively show up at a door (whether they banged it or not), with 1 guy and 1 lady in the room (Steel showed up later), you can't claim you did nothing wrong and that somebody assaulted you when the confrontation heats up.

Well Meltzer can - Meltzer has an amazing way with logic.

Me - Hey Dave, EVP's in real life can't aggressively come and confront people in real work settings without real consequences to their job.
Dave - Its wrestling, its different, you can't compare it to the real world. Things get handled differently.
Me - OK, so then the consequences of the confrontation should be expected and administered differently since wrestling is different right?
Dave - No, no, people can come aggressively confront you (and not be in the wrong), but if somebody defends themself with fists they are in the wrong. Furthermore, Punk invited them down earlier.
Me - So Dave, if I told my senior executive team to **** off and come on down to my office, and 3 or 4 showed up and there was a fight or a massive argument, HR would all be totally cool with the senior exec team
Dave - No, wrestling is different.

It was a fight - a fight that happened for two reasons.
#1) Punk egregiously went off at the PC that night (which he could have been rightly fired for). #1 doesn't happen then #2 doesn't happen. (Of course there is stuff that happened before that between a bunch of immature and soft people (including Punk) that caused #1 because TK could not reign it in)

#2) Bucks/Elite and a few others showed up at Punk's door - they were largely responsible for that fight happening. And in their roles they needed to know better.

Punk could have certainly been fired for #1 and told to never come back. Good luck with #2, in a court of law that is not judged by Dave Meltzer.

Plus, fights happen in wrestling all the time. And people make up. The fact that the Elite refuse to do so, despite their role in the fight, shows they are just as unprofessional here.
Not as fireable though, because Punk escalated things.

I'm just gonna agree to disagree here.

That's probably a good thing. It's an incredibly divisive issue ... way too much for wrestling! And way too many people on both sides are saying either AEW is done without Punk... or AEW was wrecked by Punk. I think neither is true.

I'm wondering if Edge shows up tonight on the AEW PPV (or in the near future). I believe his WWE contract was up as of midnight.

Christian is a tremendous shthead in that turtleneck gimmick. Super underrated. I haven't been watching week in and week out and prob wont during football season, but I really liked All-In and Grand Slam, feels fresh. Will prob start trying to catch Dynamite again when I can.

I think its good when top characters switch between AEW and WWE. Gives them something fresh to work with. Sometimes even top guys stall a bit (Edge had certainly peaked a ways back in his return), and can excel for a period somewhere else. It's not a bad thing for fans of both companies, and its great for the wrestlers as well to have 2 major sources of income.

In the very tribal social media universe (perhaps a tad more AEW Fans but still a lot from both sides) it gets blown up into something much more controversial or game-changing than it should be.

Last edited:
Christian is a tremendous shthead in that turtleneck gimmick. Super underrated. I haven't been watching week in and week out and prob wont during football season, but I really liked All-In and Grand Slam, feels fresh. Will prob start trying to catch Dynamite again when I can.

The best crap talker in AEW right now.
MJF typically holds that position, but its impossible to max your crap talking abilities when you are not full out heel at the moment.

I think its good when top characters switch between AEW and WWE. Gives them something fresh to work with. Sometimes even top guys stall a bit (Edge had certainly peaked a ways back in his return), and can excel for a period somewhere else. It's not a bad thing for fans of both companies, and its great for the wrestlers as well to have 2 major sources of income.

In the very tribal social media universe (perhaps a tad more AEW Fans but still a lot from both sides) it gets blown up into something much more controversial or game-changing than it should be.
Yeah, wrestling fans seem really weird about that stuff now.

I don’t remember it being like that with WCW/WWF back in the day. Everyone I knew followed both, and would primarily watch whatever one was more interesting at the time, and flip to the other one on commercials. Brand loyalty is weird, when the quality is comparable and can change on a dime.

Christian has been my favorite thing in wrestling since he went heel. This is the best work I’ve seen from him since his TNA days IMO.