AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

Christian has been my favorite thing in wrestling since he went heel. This is the best work I’ve seen from him since his TNA days IMO.

I don't find Christian that great as a face - not bad by any means, but as a face he just seems to lack something ... lacks charisma maybe. Make him a heel and he oozes charisma.

I don't find Christian that great as a face - not bad by any means, but as a face he just seems to lack something ... lacks charisma maybe. Make him a heel and he oozes charisma.
Agreed. Like most charismatic heels who the fans inevitably start to love after awhile…..they always change them too much shortly after they finally turn face.

Just let them be the same exact obnoxious jerk, but doing it to heels instead. I think that would work better.

Was highly entertained by Edge’s promo on Christian tonight.

If you would’ve told me 5 years ago that AEW would exist and it would have a bunch of my old favorites: Christian, Edge, Jericho, Sting, Danielson, Samoa Joe, plus Moxley, a bunch of newer guys (MJF, Allin, Sammy, etc.)….im in. Plus for all the drama, Punk’s return and run was at least exciting and not something I was sure would ever happen.

It’s not perfect but I’m glad it’s an option. I usually have fun when I watch.

Andrew Zarian is reporting that Wil Osprey, who is almost certain to be the Wrestler Of The Year in Wrestling Observer's year-end poll, will be announced as having signed with AEW at tomorrow's PPV.

That is quite the impact signing for AEW as WWE was really after him as well. AEW's been pretty cold this year, so this will help. Since he's from England, maybe they sell out at Wembley again next year...

Long but very good read by MJF...

Sounds like he legit needs to some time off to get healthy and decide what's next for him and where...

I could see him drop the title to Joe, so he can get a legit world title reign.. and then MJF ends up in WWE to work with Cody... maybe cost Cody the title against Roman and 'Mania.

Tony is going to throw the biggest bag at Max though. AEW losing MJF would be a massive loss.

Given the latest Chris Jericho allegations I have no clue why he is wrestling tonight. Who knows what exactly happened, or what might be exaggerated (or not exaggerated) in the current politics of wrestling. But its serious stuff that shouldn't just be ignored.

PR 101 - say something like this "We are aware of some serious allegations that have been made against Mr. Jericho in various media spaces in the past 24 hours. Given the seriousness of the allegations we have decided to take the time to further internally investigate the matter. We must state this clearly - This decision is neither a confirmation, nor a denial of any actions committed by Mr. Jericho, nor is it validating or invalidating such claims"

Andrade heading back to WWE after tonight's show, per reports.

I don't think its a big loss ... AEW has so much of his level of really good (but not consistent top of the card) talent, that I think its better for storylines to actually have less people at the level so more get showcased.

Tony has accumulated so many toys, taking some away actually might things better.

MJF is no longer listed on the AEW roster. This is more than likely a work. There was always the bidding war of 2024 angle, but that quieted down when it was said he resigned through 2027.

He'll eventually end up with Cody at WWE.

A few side notes for the PPV...
- Overall it wasn't one of their best ones. Christian & Edge.. great and at 50+; Mox/Eddie very good; MJF/Joe good; the rest meh.
- Joe as world champ is long overdue.. at least for him. He is ready to take on anyone.
- Adam Cole as the Devil was the right call, but the ending of that title match/story was lame.

Think the MJF thing is a work. Been wrestling hurt, needs some time off.

For the first time since I started this thread, I have concerns about AEW's future, for a variety of reasons:

1. Sloppy booking from Tony Khan. When he puts his mind to it, like with the Continental Cup, he's still amazing. But too many storylines make no sense, plus it doesn't appear he's certain who he should build up. I really wish he'd give Brian, Kenny or Jericho booking authority of some of the shows.

2. Too many discards from WWE. AEW, meet end-times WCW. (BTW, Keith Lee sucks, a big fat guy who's always hurt.)

3. Unwillingness to build a strong women's division, despite having some real strong women's wrestlers.

4. There's gotta be some smoke on whether WWE is looking to sign with WBD. At best, it weakens AEW's negotiating position for new contracts. If WWE signs with WBD, where does AEW go?

Think the MJF thing is a work. Been wrestling hurt, needs some time off.

For the first time since I started this thread, I have concerns about AEW's future, for a variety of reasons:

1. Sloppy booking from Tony Khan. When he puts his mind to it, like with the Continental Cup, he's still amazing. But too many storylines make no sense, plus it doesn't appear he's certain who he should build up. I really wish he'd give Brian, Kenny or Jericho booking authority of some of the shows.

2. Too many discards from WWE. AEW, meet end-times WCW. (BTW, Keith Lee sucks, a big fat guy who's always hurt.)

3. Unwillingness to build a strong women's division, despite having some real strong women's wrestlers.

4. There's gotta be some smoke on whether WWE is looking to sign with WBD. At best, it weakens AEW's negotiating position for new contracts. If WWE signs with WBD, where does AEW go?

Certainly there is reason for some strong enough concerns on their product (many valid criticisms as you lay out). Although some claims that they are in a dire situation (which I know you are not claiming at all) are largely social media or other media drama in my view.

Regarding #4, my feeling is that WBD was using the WWE deal more for leverage for the upcoming AEW deal. From what I remember WBD hearing is pretty cost cautious, and while WWE is getting huge ratings and is good brand to work with, its expensive programming with a questionable advertising return because its wrestling (per Fox anyway).

My feeling is that Tony Khan has been to trying to package a bunch of programming to WBD -- be it TV, PPV's. Tape Library, ROH -- I think this is WBD's attempt to put pressure on him to get a better price and to "de-bundle" what he wants to sell. Basically keep it to Dynamite, Collision, and perhaps to drop an hour of programming.

Some have speculated a much better TV deal ($ wise) will allow the AEW to become profitable, and if they don't they will be unprofitable and claim the situation is dire.

I think as you said there are concerns, but I think from a company operating viability there are lesser concerns.

1) Who knows how many losses (if any) Khan's family are allowing from this product... they can finance a lot of losses for a passion project.

2) Even if Papa Kahn tells Tony that AEW has to become profitable it seems like there are some very simple tasks to me as a finance guy involved in a number of corporate restructurings:
a) Easy to reduce talent costs. AEW has way too many wrestlers. My opinion is that cutting a lot of wrestlers will actually enhance characters and continuity. Look at the recent Mexican wrestlers - Vikingo, Kommander... they are all great but none of the characters are developed. Less is more in my view.
b) Less "toy" shopping. Go after guys like Ospreay. But you don't need to go after every big name that is no longer at a peak -- for example guys like Ibuhsi that are past their prime.. or much lower tier examples like Ziggler, Benjamin, Mustafi Ali. Let the roster size slowly dwindle this way, while saving costs
3) No large buildings unless big events. The cost savings here are easy to explain.
4) Improve merchandising revenue... I have always heard they have done they have done a pretty bad job with this... don't want to make this an attack on Young Bucks, but I believe this was one of their wives jobs to head, which was ridiculous.

Anyway seems to me they have a path to profitability, with some cost changes that aren't really going to hurt the product and might make product booking easier.

In terms of the on-air product, I also liked the Continenteal Tournament. I am nowhere near a hardcore AEW watcher, but this gave some meaning to matches -- something that is often lacking in my view.

Not sure if AEW is every really going to grow that much... but they do have a very loyal core of fans that should hang for a while.

Last edited:
Certainly there is reason for some strong enough concerns on their product (many valid criticisms as you lay out). Although some claims that they are in a dire situation (which I know you are not claiming at all) are largely social media or other media drama in my view.

Regarding #4, my feeling is that WBD was using the WWE deal more for leverage for the upcoming AEW deal. From what I remember WBD hearing is pretty cost cautious, and while WWE is getting huge ratings and is good brand to work with, its expensive programming with a questionable advertising return because its wrestling (per Fox anyway).

My feeling is that Tony Khan has been to trying to package a bunch of programming to WBD -- be it TV, PPV's. Tape Library, ROH -- I think this is WBD's attempt to put pressure on him to get a better price and to "de-bundle" what he wants to sell. Basically keep it to Dynamite, Collision, and perhaps to drop an hour of programming.

Some have speculated a much better TV deal ($ wise) will allow the AEW to become profitable, and if they don't they will be unprofitable and claim the situation is dire.

I think as you said there are concerns, but I think from a company operating viability there are lesser concerns.

1) Who knows how many losses (if any) Khan's family are allowing from this product... they can finance a lot of losses for a passion project.

2) Even if Papa Kahn tells Tony that AEW has to become profitable it seems like there are some very simple tasks to me as a finance guy involved in a number of corporate restructurings:
a) Easy to reduce talent costs. AEW has way too many wrestlers. My opinion is that cutting a lot of wrestlers will actually enhance characters and continuity. Look at the recent Mexican wrestlers - Vikingo, Kommander... they are all great but none of the characters are developed. Less is more in my view.
b) Less "toy" shopping. Go after guys like Ospreay. But you don't need to go after every big name that is no longer at a peak -- for example guys like Ibuhsi that are past their prime.. or much lower tier examples like Ziggler, Benjamin, Mustafi Ali. Let the roster size slowly dwindle this way, while saving costs
3) No large buildings unless big events. The cost savings here are easy to explain.
4) Improve merchandising revenue... I have always heard they have done they have done a pretty bad job with this... don't want to make this an attack on Young Bucks, but I believe this was one of their wives jobs to head, which was ridiculous.

Anyway seems to me they have a path to profitability, with some cost changes that aren't really going to hurt the product and might make product booking easier.

In terms of the on-air product, I also liked the Continenteal Tournament. I am nowhere near a hardcore AEW watcher, but this gave some meaning to matches -- something that is often lacking in my view.

Not sure if AEW is every really going to grow that much... but they do have a very loyal core of fans that should hang for a while.
Agreed on WBD... I also think WWE engaged them as well to drive the price up for AEW.

And yes one of the Bucks wives was in charge of merch (which has been very bad from what I've heard)... but recently, I think that I saw she is out.

Also, it sounds like Mercedes Mone may end up signing with AEW after all. This would greatly help their women's division which is lacking to put it nicely.

Last edited:
Somebody needs to tell Tony Khan to lay off twitter.

Whether he is right or not in his arguments, I can't see how his behaviour engages or promotes AEW to more mid-centric fans that are considering following it more. It engages many in the hardcore base. but beyond that not sure what it accomplishes in terms of growing his business.

Somebody needs to tell Tony Khan to lay off twitter.

Whether he is right or not in his arguments, I can't see how his behaviour engages or promotes AEW to more mid-centric fans that are considering following it more. It engages many in the hardcore base. but beyond that not sure what it accomplishes in terms of growing his business.
He screwed himself and his organization royally the last 18-24 months.

As Vince once said, Tony screwed Tony

Bleepin' Bleacher Report!

Was gonna buy tonight's AEW Revolution PPV. But Bleacher Report sent me, and lots of others, into a Circular Hell. From Wrestling Observer:

"Due to several reported issues on Bleacher Report's B/R Live app, tonight's AEW Revolution pay-per-view was made available for purchase on Triller (the former FITE) for domestic buyers in the U.S. in addition to the usual international audience.

"AEW head Tony Khan made the announcement on X nearly an hour after the main card began.

"According to Gavin Sheehan of BleedingCool.com, the issues were "either people cannot access it, can only see the Spanish feed, or are being told they need to buy it again." Or, I might add, all three.

Hope I didn't end up paying for it four times...seriously, we're talking Warner Brothers. Get the bleeping thing on Max, whydon'tcha??!!

It’s funny because I ordered this afternoon and then watched it on delay on BR and it was great, no issues . Sucks that everyone had all these issues when it was hell of a show. Not being watching AEW weekly at all but had to watch Stings last match. Might start watching again if Ospreay doesn’t kill himself, he’s unbelievable

It’s funny because I ordered this afternoon and then watched it on delay on BR and it was great, no issues . Sucks that everyone had all these issues when it was hell of a show. Not being watching AEW weekly at all but had to watch Stings last match. Might start watching again if Ospreay doesn’t kill himself, he’s unbelievable
Okada's coming, too. Hadn't bought a PPV in awhile. Decided about 10 minutes before the show.

Never saw it.

Currently considering going to the AEW Collision show in Ottawa on Saturday, just to see what it is like. (I live about 70 minutes from both downtown Ottawa and Montreal) Didn't go to Montreal for either of their shows in December - interest and other things I suppose.

But 2 issues with the Ottawa date:

1) Prices are high - about $100 for a Collision show seems a bit high to me. I know there are no bad seats in a 3000 fan set-uo. I can easily afford it, but I tend to consider value for my $ -- and I know for others that price becomes an issue from an affordability view.. Interestingly the Montreal shows had tickets in then $35-$50 range with

2) Real Strange Choice of Arena

For those that don't know Ottawa, there are 2 larger arenas here.
- The 20,000 seat NHL arena which is out in the middle of nowhere on the far western edge of the city about a 20-30 minute drive from downtown. There is no "life" other than an arena.
- An 8,000 junior hockey arena, that is in a thriving part of the city that is in the lower downtown core. You can go and have a bite at one of several pubs in the area before or after. it's a much more preferred locationand easier to get to place for a night out. The rent is alos going to be much cheaper.

They chose the 20,000 seat arena far from downtown, and in the middle of nowhere.
Wrong location in my view.

It's pretty easy to determine where the AEW should have held their event - they would have had more fans want to go to the 8,000 seat arena than the 20,000 seat arena, based on location and other things around the arena.

EDIT - I just noted that the Canadian Amateur Wrestling Championships are in the 8,000 seat arena this weekend. But they could are in Eastern Canada on the 27th and 30th as well.

Last edited:
Currently considering going to the AEW Collision show in Ottawa on Saturday, just to see what it is like. (I live about 70 minutes from both downtown Ottawa and Montreal) Didn't go to Montreal for either of their shows in December - interest and other things I suppose.

But 2 issues with the Ottawa date:

1) Prices are high - about $100 for a Collision show seems a bit high to me. I know there are no bad seats in a 3000 fan set-uo. I can easily afford it, but I tend to consider value for my $ -- and I know for others that price becomes an issue from an affordability view.. Interestingly the Montreal shows had tickets in then $35-$50 range with

2) Real Strange Choice of Arena

For those that don't know Ottawa, there are 2 larger arenas here.
- The 20,000 seat NHL arena which is out in the middle of nowhere on the far western edge of the city about a 20-30 minute drive from downtown. There is no "life" other than an arena.
- An 8,000 junior hockey arena, that is in a thriving part of the city that is in the lower downtown core. You can go and have a bite at one of several pubs in the area before or after. it's a much more preferred locationand easier to get to place for a night out. The rent is alos going to be much cheaper.

It's pretty easy to determine where the AEW should have held their event - they would have had more fans want to go to the 8,000 seat arena than the 20,000 seat arena, based on location and other things around the arena.

EDIT - I just noted that the Canadian Amateur Wrestling Championships are in the 8,000 seat arena this weekend. But they could are in Eastern Canada on the 27th and 30th as well.
Has AEW announced the matches for the show?

I ask b/c one reason that attendance sucks is that AEW doesn't provide enough advance notices for the matches. It's a chronic problem, one that's easy to fix, but they rarely do it.

I ask b/c one reason that attendance sucks is that AEW doesn't provide enough advance notices for the matches. It's a chronic problem, one that's easy to fix, but they rarely do it.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
I'm not a hardcore AEW Fan, more of a casual that doesn't know everybody from everywhere, so it may not matter much for me. But for the AEW target / core fanbase I can see how that is a bigger problem.

I do know that Collision tends to be a bit weaker booked in terms of star power at times. I'm hoping that at least of the newer big names show up (Okada, Ospreay, Mone, or perhaps Daniel Bryan).

Prices have now also come down to a more reasonable $70, which might convince my friend to come along. If it was downtown, at the smaller arena, he would have went no problem, getting back to my prior point.

Matches so far are a bit lacking... and not much has been revealed.

1. Kyle O'Reilly vs Brian Keith
2. The start of the tag team tournament - but yet no matches are actually revealed (nor is the bracket I don't think)

Although they did release some $40 tickets (in farther sections)... which are still pretty close. At least that makes it more enticing than the $90 tickets they had before.

I'll probably make a day of decision.

They only announced the Danielson match for tonight yesterday … which finally made me decide to go. Before that it was Oreilly, the tag team tournament with no teams announced, and Julie sky against somebody I had never heard of.

There was some good and bad tonight. But overall had a good time - just being able to observe things was interesting. The pacing is so quick.

Will comment more tomorrow.