An age old discussion (minutes logged) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

An age old discussion (minutes logged)

News flash. JB coaches the way he does and he is successful doing it his way. Is he the greatest coach in the game? A few say yes. But probably not. I think he has won the same number of titles as Cal though.

You don't know that. Why doesn't every coach implement that strategy then? Some coaches play tight benches, but JB plays the tightest. His reasoning is college kids don't get tired. I think that's debatable.
How many of those coaches that play more are more successful than jb? The list of more successful coaches is very, very small.

First, I don't know that other coaches don't play benches as short as ours. I do know that very few programs are as successful as we are, so there is that. One thing I do know, we have one of the best winning % in the history of college basketball. So your argument is that if JB listened to anomander, he would have an even better %. I don't but it. And when Jb has players, he usually uses them. He did three seasons ago. The guys on our bench right now, don't play well enough.

Ya we're one of the best November-January programs around. There is absolutely no questioning that. Unfortunately March is all that matters, and we've had our share of late season collapses, and NCAAT flame outs. Hmmm I don't know maybe there's something to that? He doesn't have to listen to Anomander, but he is out on his own little island playing a 6 man rotation in December.

How many of those coaches that play more are more successful than jb? The list of more successful coaches is very, very small.

Are we talking all-time wins, or Conference Championships, Conference Tournament Championships, Final Fours, and National Championships? Personally I don't really care for his number of all time wins. League titles, FF's, and National titles is what matters to me.

we stumble at the end because we are playing better teams than we face earlier in the season. Everyone stumbles late.

Tell that to UConn. The years that Syracuse has made runs have featured teams playing 7-8 guys consistently. The last FF team destroyed an Indiana team featuring Oladipo and Zeller and little else around them. Remember when Crean had no sub for his guards and had to leave them out there to get eaten alive by MCW and Triche?

you are comparing the guys on an nba bench with ours? You are comparing the nba game with the college game? Silly.
i disagree. think about this for one sec, compare the gap between Cooney and RP and then Lebron and whoever is replacing him. Lebron is one of the best ever period. is Cooney one of the best ever at SU? do people really think that little of RPs abilities?

anomander said:
How many seasons have we got out to a great start only to stumble to the finish line? How many times have we flamed out of the NCAAT earlier then expected? There's much more to it then the 3 failures this year.

First, you were blaming our failure to finish games. That's what I commented on. Second, our great starts and weaker finishes is because the schedule gets tougher with BE or ACC games vs. OOC. Third, I've always believed we start quick cause of the lack of familiarity of our zone to the early season opponents.

I'm a laker fan and Phil would always rest Kobe to start the 4th qtr, even in the finals. Drove me nuts when lakers were losing but he wanted him fresh for crunch time. Think he did it with Jordan too.
and think about the gap between that player coming off the bench and Kobe. so the lakers won the title in 09? which gap is bigger- the gap between kobe and Jordan Farmar or the gap between TC and RP? seriously

First, you were blaming our failure to finish games. That's what I commented on. Second, our great starts and weaker finishes is because the schedule gets tougher with BE or ACC games vs. OOC. Third, I've always believed we start quick cause of the lack of familiarity of our zone to the early season opponents.

It all ties together. Even though the schedule gets tougher towards the end of the season we shouldn't experience as big of a drop off as we have seen some years. Most teams improve as the season goes on because the young guys, who are typically the bench guys, gain valuable game experience in November and December. Other coaches feel it's just as important to develop your bench as it is to get a November win. I tend to agree with that philosophy. I don't think it's a coincidence some of our teams that have made the deepest runs have been the teams with the longest benches.

I'll bet more than a few coaches would love to use their 13th scholarship on a 7 footer.

If the 13th scholarship is being used on your back up center of a potential championship team there is a problem.

You make a good point, but w JB always having a rather short bench, the back up C that year was Forward RJackson. So really Riley was third string...until the injury...

Jim is not without his faults. He has two areas that i believe he is poor at.

One he doesnt build depth. Never has and never will. He is very poor at it.

Two end of game management. Never has been a strong point of his. We choke way too many leads. It has happend for years.

i disagree. think about this for one sec, compare the gap between Cooney and RP and then Lebron and whoever is replacing him. Lebron is one of the best ever period. is Cooney one of the best ever at SU? do people really think that little of RPs abilities?
In it's own way, yes, the gap is that big. Patterson will lose us a close game. He is almost always out of control.

Tell that to UConn. The years that Syracuse has made runs have featured teams playing 7-8 guys consistently. The last FF team destroyed an Indiana team featuring Oladipo and Zeller and little else around them. Remember when Crean had no sub for his guards and had to leave them out there to get eaten alive by MCW and Triche?
The 1996 team that went to the ncaa finals had zero depth. None.

Are we talking all-time wins, or Conference Championships, Conference Tournament Championships, Final Fours, and National Championships? Personally I don't really care for his number of all time wins. League titles, FF's, and National titles is what matters to me.
we had the best record in the history of the Big east by far. A double diget lead over UConn and G-town. That matter to you?

we had the best record in the history of the Big east by far. A double diget lead over UConn and G-town. That matter to you?

Yet we had less and the same amount of titles as those two.

In it's own way, yes, the gap is that big. Patterson will lose us a close game. He is almost always out of control.
We lost a close game to vill anyway. A game that we were up 15

Edit, on the flip side he did play in close losses to mich and st johns and had one turnover in those two games. I am very encouraged by the improvement in this team the last 2 games! Hope RP andor BJ can keep improving to the pt of earning more playing time

Last edited:

I'd rather have titles, but that's just me.

The 1996 team that went to the ncaa finals had zero depth. None.

Game has changed a lot in 20 years. Take away that loaded Kentucky team and the rest of the Final 4 was 3 teams with one star.

anomander said:
I'd rather have titles, but that's just me.

More depth wouldn't have gotten us any more titles.

It's seriously amazing so many syracuse fans who post here never acknowledge potential faults with boeheim, but instead get incredibly defensive whenever it's brought up. It's a legit discussion to have on an Internet forum. No one is perfect, it's a phrase everyone on the planet knows.

It's almost weird to me how some people get with regards to JB "criticism".

If this subject hasn't been asked on the JB call in show, I think it would be a nice question for SWC75 to ask using his style to make it more palatable for JB.

In a year when our bigs are prone to foul trouble, why not give a few token minutes to a guy like Chino in games where the outcome has already been decided? I can think of many ways this could help, but not many ways giving 2-3 token minutes to him in games that have been decided can hurt, other than potentially a small bit on someone else's stat line. I think it's a worthy trade off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom