An age old discussion (minutes logged) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

An age old discussion (minutes logged)

I don't see how game fresh BJ, Buss, and Chin are better than tired Cooney, G and Rak. Most years id agree but this year every game is too close to risk it.

The only way BJ, Buss, and Chin are going to start playing at the level of Cooney, G, and Rak is to log meaning PT minutes.

But, Bayside, what fun would that be?

Surely you realize that for many of the critics on here, including some self-confessed "basketball experts:, the fun here is all about demonstrating their smarts.

It's frustrating for them to sit there and watch the Orange lose because they are sitting there in their den being able to see what the answer is.

"Cooney's gassed. they say, "It's Boeheim's fault for not having more than a six or seven man rotation.?

"So," they continue, "If Boeheim played more guys he wouldn't have to leave gassed players on the court and Cooney would have had enough gs left in the tank to get a hand in Arci's face."

Of course, the critic is guessing at Cooney's gas level. And he certainly doesn't really understand why those 8th and 9th guys are not getting more playing time. Nor does he know what the score at the end of the game would have been if the 8th and 9th player had gotten significant minutes.

This is a team that has not jelled yet. It contains some very good players many better than what we are used to seeing in Orange. But they don't play well together yet. Playing 8 or 9 or 10 guys doesn't seem like the recipe for solving this problem. There are an increasing number of instances look like good team play. But still not enough.

Two weeks ago the conversation on here was whether we would win 29 or 30 games this year supported by lots of logic. The question now ought to be can a team be created that allows SU to win the majority of the ACC games.

I don't remember anyone arguing 29 or 30 wins this season. I think "sitting there" in your "den" being a critic of the critics is worse. I agree witht the original post. I would like to seen bench players become a bigger part of the teams effort. If it's a question of "jelling" then have set lineups with certain groups of players. I would like to see the team gel. But I don't see your argument that there is a connection between "jelling" and playing fewer bench players.

Dave85 said:
The only way BJ, Buss, and Chin are going to start playing at the level of Cooney, G, and Rak is to log meaning PT minutes.

Or actually perform in practice which they're not doing.

Dave85 said:

That's not how things are done.

I don't even mind G, cooney, and RAK playing 38-40 minutes a game this year. My confusion lies with how our 3 guard has some did not plays. It's not like joseph is that good to play 40 minutes against nova.

I don't remember anyone arguing 29 or 30 wins this season. I think "sitting there" in your "den" being a critic of the critics is worse. I agree witht the original post. I would like to seen bench players become a bigger part of the teams effort. If it's a question of "jelling" then have set lineups with certain groups of players. I would like to see the team gel. But I don't see your argument that there is a connection between "jelling" and playing fewer bench players.

So you don't think that the more a player plays he increasingly understands what works and what doesn't?

Adding more players to the mix obviously makes the task of becoming familiar with your teams mates more difficult.

So you don't think that the more a player plays he increasingly understands what works and what doesn't?

Adding more players to the mix obviously makes the task of becoming familiar with your teams mates more difficult.

You could see it that way. Or you could agree that not playing at all or very little certainly makes you not ready to play when it matters. Especially at the end of the long season when players inevitable have injuries. Then bench players are thrust into critical playing time and they are not ready.

You could see it that way. Or you could agree that not playing at all or very little certainly makes you not ready to play when it matters. Especially at the end of the long season when players inevitable have injuries. Then bench players are thrust into critical playing time and they are not ready.

This sounds like the same old Boeheim criticism re-heated. If he played 10 guys early in the season and lost some games because of it, there would be whining on here that he ought to be playing fewer.

Building a 7-man team comes first. I'm sure JB would like to have 12 guys who could contribute.

Your point doesn't happen often enough to justify not-ready-for-primetime players logging significant minutes early in the season. That's risking losses for some theoretical benefit that may or may not be needed. Especially with the new team we have this year, Every available minute needs to be devoted to building the basic team.

You are witnessing what happens when the base team doesn't play well enough together as a unit. This team has good players, but it isn't a good team as things stand right now. Playing more player could that effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom