An age old discussion (minutes logged) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

An age old discussion (minutes logged)

Did Jb mention that GMAC hurt his wrist at the end of the first half?
Yes, he was shaken up at the end of the half. I believe he went flying into the scorer's table.

Did Jb mention that GMAC hurt his wrist at the end of the first half?
No he didn't, I'll have to ask Gerry when I run into him. the quote was that he was exhausted at the ends of Games...not just that one

Its INCORRECT to state any of these opinions as fact because they are not. It's debatable either way because all you have to do is google for 20minutes to find multiple examples of deep and short benched teams that were very successful throughout the season and in the post season. IMO it has more to do with the quality of the players.
Can anyone name one coach that used his bench less than JB does? I would like to see just one name.

Eagles20 said:
No he didn't, I'll have to ask Gerry when I run into him. the quote was that he was exhausted at the ends of Games...not just that one

And if you ask JB, I guarantee he'd tell you GMac at 80% on the floor was better than a sub at 100%.

He's always believed that. And yes, I've asked him.

And if you ask JB, I guarantee he'd tell you GMac at 80% on the floor was better than a sub at 100%.

It's funny because if you remember that run..pace,billy, and Jeremy were outstanding in that run. Billy scored 15 in 1st rd and led team in scoring 2nd rd with 20. Syracuse would havnt been champs if billy, josh and Jeremy didn't come to play against Oklahoma st. If he just played the starters that game we wouldn't have all bought championship gear in April that year.

Overall you are too stubborn to understand the point people are making. No one is saying they arent better at 80%, they are saying by giving them a short break here and there they won't be at 80% but fresher at the end of games and at the end of the season.

Who made the assist on Syracuse's last basket of the championship game?

I have no doubt that he did say that and I think he's completely wrong. I've always disliked that about the way he coaches. Every game should be looked at individually. Some nights an inferior player will out perform a player that's much better. There needs to be feel for what transpires in a particular game. You can't use the exact same substitution pattern every game that's what he does against good competition He leaves the starter in even if he's not performing well. It drives me nuts.

Eagles20 said:
It's funny because if you remember that run..pace,billy, and Jeremy were outstanding in that run. Billy scored 15 in 1st rd and led team in scoring 2nd rd with 20. Syracuse would havnt been champs if billy, josh and Jeremy didn't come to play against Oklahoma st. If he just played the starters that game we wouldn't have all bought championship gear in April that year. Overall you are too stubborn to understand the point people are making. No one is saying they arent better at 80%, they are saying by giving them a short break here and there they won't be at 80% but fresher at the end of games and at the end of the season.

And he trusted those guys. You're being stubborn in understanding that his philosophy is that the extra time off the court for a starter with a player he doesn't trust on the court can be the small difference between winning and losing.

Nobody plays 40 mins as a norm. And if someone does play 40, he trusts he won't be so tired he won't be effective.

Eagles20 said:
Who made the assist on Syracuse's last basket of the championship game?

Strange question. JB has never played all 5 starters 40 mins. He's always used subs.

anglerman said:
Can anyone name one coach that used his bench less than JB does? I would like to see just one name.

Bees

Bees
I'm happy I wasn't one of your players. The way to develop a team is by having confidence in your players even if it means only playing them a few minutes. A confident player is a more productive player.

The answer depends on the team you have, of course. Our best team (2009-2010) went 7 deep and should have won a title.

I have no doubt that he did say that and I think he's completely wrong. I've always disliked that about the way he coaches. Every game should be looked at individually. Some nights an inferior player will out perform a player that's much better. There needs to be feel for what transpires in a particular game. You can't use the exact same substitution pattern every game that's what he does against good competition He leaves the starter in even if he's not performing well. It drives me nuts.

Lol. Dude, you are in so far over your head it's comical. Give it up. You are embarrassing yourself. Again.

Eagles20 said:
I'm happy I wasn't one of your players. The way to develop a team is by having confidence in your players even if it means only playing them a few minutes. A confident player is a more productive player.

Again, JB has done it his way for 30+ years and been one of the most successful coaches ever and a HOFer. I'd say he knows what he's doing. That fact can't be denied.

Yea, it's missing 2 words. So bizarre. "If they" needs to be in there. The answer is, I doubt it. I have.
Why did you ask him that particular question? Did he appear somewhat gassed to you too?

Jack Hall said:
Why did you ask him that particular question? Did he appear somewhat gassed to you too?

Ask who?

No way. Most years coach K is very liberal with his bench.

Very similar to Boeheim. 7 guys played more than ten minutes a game last year, only 6 averaged over 15. He uses a seven or 8 man rotation in most years. His title team in 2010 included 3 players who averaged 35 plus minutes a game. Singler, smith, and scheyer didn't seem worn down that year.

No way. Most years coach K is very liberal with his bench.

Not at all, in fact a poster on their board even started a facebook page "If 1,000,000 people join will Coach K use his damn bench". It's a criticism that some Duke"fans" argue about because some people just have to criticize something. His bench is filled with higher level recruits than ours too.

Not at all, in fact a poster on their board even started a facebook page "If 1,000,000 people join will Coach K use his damn bench". It's a criticism that some Duke"fans" argue about because some people just have to criticize something. His bench is filled with higher level recruits than ours too.

I think that is because their fans are even more stubborn/paranoid/whatever than SU fans. He uses his bench. He generally gets better players so it is easier. Occasional years he goes 6.5/7 but usually he uses his bench. No question. Whether that is just more plain talent or better development; that is the more pressing issue.

And if you ask JB, I guarantee he'd tell you GMac at 80% on the floor was better than a sub at 100%

Unfortunately, GMac is already on the bench and doesn't have to move if JB were to give someone on the bench 2-3 minutes. Apples and Orange.

Can people still deny that Boeheim's refusal to use the bench doesn't have a negative effect on game outcomes? How many times do we need to have a late 2nd half collapse for him to realize, god forbid, that he may be wrong, and players do get tired. We basically played 6 men on Saturday...in a December game. Two guys played 45 minutes, 1 played 40, and Rak would have been up there if not for foul trouble. I know the other side of the argument... He really wanted to win...Would you rather have so or so in. It's not about that. It's being able to give your guys breaks throughout the game so there is no fatigue when it matters. Or is it that Jim is the only one who is correct, and all these other famous coaches are wrong because they utilize their bench? Do these other programs have deeper benches so when they substitute their starters there is no drop off in production? Absolutely not. They do so not only for player development (there is such thing), but to keep their guys fresh. I know this topic has been beat to death, but the evidence is stacking up. We have never really been all that good closing games. I remember far more games we failed to close out, then we made big comebacks. This year alone we collapsed late in the game versus Nova, St. John's, La Tech, and Michigan. I don't think this is a coincidence, and is one of my biggest beefs with JB.

I think his line of reasion is around conditioning. But I tend to agree with you. We need a deeper bench at the end of games and at the end of the season.

He should play a deeper bench and mix in some man to man while he's at it.

When the 2-3 is playing well is just as good as man-to-man or even better. The 2-3 allows us to matchup better against teams with superior athletic ability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom