An age old discussion (minutes logged) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

An age old discussion (minutes logged)

Who are the COWBOYS boy
I really should change my name...I havnt cared about the Eagles since Mcnabb left. I live around philly but don't really care about them. I actually don't even watch much football. I'm a basketball and golf guy. Congrats to the Cowboys tho, happy they could make your year

As posted in another thread.

In our first 3 losses we shot better and scored more points in the 2nd half? Didnt happen in the Nova game but then shooting 63% in a half isnt commonplace. For the season weve also scored more in the 2nd half. Minutes played isnt causing us to lose.
A lack of depth might later in the season

kcsu said:
A lack of depth might later in the season

And we may not have a tournament chance if we lose a couple if games to rest our better players. I'm all for going deeper but at this point it can't be at any expense of a victory.

Who is Chinoso better than? Who's minutes should he get? Who should BJ get minutes over? Who should Buss be getting minutes over?

I can see Buss getting some of Kaleb's minutes but even then we have G running the point which isn't a good thing.

We not an excellent team to begin with and with the close games we've played this year and I'm sure there are more to come, every single minute counts. I don't think I'm crazy when I say I'd rather have an exhausted Cooney out there than a rested Buss.

How far is an exhausted Cooney going to get you in March? If you value home versus Miami as much a tourney game in March, then yes, the short bench makes perfect sense.

CuseCPT said:
How far is an exhausted Cooney going to get you in March? If you value home versus Miami as much a tourney game in March, then yes, the short bench makes perfect sense.

I don't value regular season games more than March games normally, but right now we can't afford many more losses, if we do then we don't even play in March so right now I'm valuing every game. How many losses do you think we can endure and still get a bid into the tournament? I personally think we need to get over .500 in ACC play and win at least two games against ranked teams. Not impossible at all, but it's going to tough.

Who is Chinoso better than? Who's minutes should he get? ...

I think an argument can be made that Obokoh is a better center than McCullough. I also think he stands to improve more in the short-term; while McCullough is going to be weak for his entire Syracuse career, eight minutes a game for Obokoh will likely give him a comfort level that allows his other advantages (strength, defensive positioning) to shine through.

I don't value regular season games more than March games normally, but right now we can't afford many more losses, if we do then we don't even play in March so right now I'm valuing every game. How many losses do you think we can endure and still get a bid into the tournament? I personally think we need to get over .500 in ACC play and win at least two games against ranked teams. Not impossible at all, but it's going to tough.
Two3, my post was snarkier than I intended, my bad. Anyways, you bring up a fair question, and I guess I'm of the opinion that if we have play our starters 40 minutes a game to slide in the NCAA by our fingernails, I'm not sure that's better than suffering the indignation of an NIT appearance on a down year. Especially if we can develop the youngsters to contribute more the following year, which can be key because we've seen you never really know who is coming back and who isn't.

Plus sliding into the NCAAs with an exhausted, banged up team is just asking for an early loss that will be all over Sportscenter and add to the "nobody loses more games to double digit seeds" narrative.

If the bench is good he plays the bench. Simple answer. I have no idea why Patterson didn't play against Villanova. My issue is more the development of the bench or whether these guys are just so raw and overrated which falls on recruiting. Generally, it seems that more freshmen/sophs are contributing elsewhere nationwide in a positive manner than here. We have the occasional MCW/Dion types but it seems we are hearing the "He isn't ready" lament far too often.

Anyone who thinks players don't get tired is simply incorrect. Any one that thinks JB playing 6-7 guys is Ok is simply incorrect. This isn't one of his strong points I honestly think that he is afraid to lose. So much so that he is afraid to put in an inferior player. Th is simply a mistake. No coach is worse with his bench than JB at any level of the sport that I have ever seen Can anyone here name a coach that uses his bench less than JB? I would like to hear just one name

Every single year people on this board defend this failed strategy by pointing out the players that don't start aren't as good. Guess what? That's true on every single team on the planet for the most part. He NEVER uses his bench against good teams. I mean NEVER. I've even seen him fullckurt pressing with 5 or 6 guys. Sorry fellas that's a terrible strategy and he does it time and again

Its INCORRECT to state any of these opinions as fact because they are not. It's debatable either way because all you have to do is google for 20minutes to find multiple examples of deep and short benched teams that were very successful throughout the season and in the post season. IMO it has more to do with the quality of the players.

anglerman said:
Anyone who thinks players don't get tired is simply incorrect. Any one that thinks JB playing 6-7 guys is Ok is simply incorrect. This isn't one of his strong points I honestly think that he is afraid to lose. So much so that he is afraid to put in an inferior player. Th is simply a mistake. No coach is worse with his bench than JB at any level of the sport that I have ever seen Can anyone here name a coach that uses his bench less than JB? I would like to hear just one name Every single year people on this board defend this failed strategy by pointing out the players that don't start aren't as good. Guess what? That's true on every single team on the planet for the most part. He NEVER uses his bench against good teams. I mean NEVER. I've even seen him fullckurt pressing with 5 or 6 guys. Sorry fellas that's a terrible strategy and he does it time and again

You should be a coach.

I can see G at 2, McC and Roberson but they had foul trouble, so...

End of the day this team has flaws all over the place, have to trust the coach on what the best answers are.

But, Bayside, what fun would that be?

Surely you realize that for many of the critics on here, including some self-confessed "basketball experts:, the fun here is all about demonstrating their smarts.

It's frustrating for them to sit there and watch the Orange lose because they are sitting there in their den being able to see what the answer is.

"Cooney's gassed. they say, "It's Boeheim's fault for not having more than a six or seven man rotation.?

"So," they continue, "If Boeheim played more guys he wouldn't have to leave gassed players on the court and Cooney would have had enough gs left in the tank to get a hand in Arci's face."

Of course, the critic is guessing at Cooney's gas level. And he certainly doesn't really understand why those 8th and 9th guys are not getting more playing time. Nor does he know what the score at the end of the game would have been if the 8th and 9th player had gotten significant minutes.

This is a team that has not jelled yet. It contains some very good players many better than what we are used to seeing in Orange. But they don't play well together yet. Playing 8 or 9 or 10 guys doesn't seem like the recipe for solving this problem. There are an increasing number of instances look like good team play. But still not enough.

Two weeks ago the conversation on here was whether we would win 29 or 30 games this year supported by lots of logic. The question now ought to be can a team be created that allows SU to win the majority of the ACC games.

anglerman said:
This doesn't mean it's not a poor strategy It's actually ridiculous that it's not obvious to everyone. HOF coaches are human too. They make mistakes and this is his biggest downfall.

lol. They might make a bad tactical decision but doing something for 30 years isn't a decision. It's a strategy. Has worked pretty darn good. None of you guys making wild claims has never once asked any of these players are gassed. Why assume.

lol. They might make a bad tactical decision but doing something for 30 years isn't a decision. It's a strategy. Has worked pretty darn good. None of you guys making wild claims has never once asked any of these players are gassed. Why assume.
Why even debate anything... We should just ask your opinion on everything and accept that as fact.

Last edited:

That's a really bizarre post

But, Bayside, what fun would that be?

Surely you realize that for many of the critics on here, including some self-confessed "basketball experts:, the fun here is all about demonstrating their smarts.

It's frustrating for them to sit there and watch the Orange lose because they are sitting there in their den being able to see what the answer is.

"Cooney's gassed. they say, "It's Boeheim's fault for not having more than a six or seven man rotation.?

"So," they continue, "If Boeheim played more guys he wouldn't have to leave gassed players on the court and Cooney would have had enough gs left in the tank to get a hand in Arci's face."

Of course, the critic is guessing at Cooney's gas level. And he certainly doesn't really understand why those 8th and 9th guys are not getting more playing time. Nor does he know what the score at the end of the game would have been if the 8th and 9th player had gotten significant minutes.

This is a team that has not jelled yet. It contains some very good players many better than what we are used to seeing in Orange. But they don't play well together yet. Playing 8 or 9 or 10 guys doesn't seem like the recipe for solving this problem. There are an increasing number of instances look like good team play. But still not enough.

Two weeks ago the conversation on here was whether we would win 29 or 30 games this year supported by lots of logic. The question now ought to be can a team be created that allows SU to win the majority of the ACC games.

I didn't see 1 person in this thread declare themselves a basketball "expert". In fact this post came off as strong as everyone elses. Should we assume you are an "expert"?

I didn't see 1 person in this thread declare themselves a basketball "expert". In fact this post came off as strong as everyone elses. Should we assume you are an "expert"?

I was speaking about many, many previous posts on any number of threads. Not just this one. There was a thread a week or so in which the OP said that anyone who disagreed with him knew nothing about basketball.

No, you didn't say you were an expert in so many words.

But your inference at the root of your original post speaks for itself.

If the shoe fits ...

I went and checked your original statement.

"Can people still deny that Boeheim's refusal to use the bench doesn't have a negative effect on game outcomes? ..."

Not a lot of uncertainty in that statement. And if there were, you went on with several other sentences making the same point.

Seem like you think you have the answer.

I went and checked your original statement.

"Can people still deny that Boeheim's refusal to use the bench doesn't have a negative effect on game outcomes? ..."

Not a lot of uncertainty in that statement. And if there were, you went on with several other sentences making the same point.

Seem like you think you have the answer.

Do you read the board? Basically every person who posts does so in the same way. You do as well. People believe in their opinions, and they present them as such. I don't think i'm worse then anyone else.

And if you look at the actual title of the thread "Age old DISCUSSION", it sounds like I am aware others don't feel the same way.

Eagles20 said:
Why even debate anything... We should just ask your opinion on everything and accept that as fact.

It's not my fact or my opinion. I'm talking about JBs strategy. Not a decision he all of a sudden makes.

djcon57 said:
That's a really bizarre post

Yea, it's missing 2 words. So bizarre. "If they" needs to be in there. The answer is, I doubt it. I have.

It's not my fact or my opinion. I'm talking about JBs strategy. Not a decision he all of a sudden makes.
well cooney did look gassed and his production in the second half dipped. I know it's his strategy and my opinion is its not his best strategy. What's funny is he even admits in his book when talking about McNamara that he was exhausted in the second half of the championship game. How was his performance in that half? He was so dead in that half that he couldn't even bring the ball up.

"What made Gerry that much more interesting was he wasn't a great shooter. His percentages over 4 years were 35, 39, 34, and 33. What happened on many occasions was that he played so hard,so relentlessly, that he was simply exhausted by the ends of games. That's certaintly what happened in the Kansas championship game, when he scored all his points in the first half."

So his production fell because he was tired?

Good point, I haven't talked to the players...

Should I stalk the players after the game or find out their cell #?

What's the best option?

Eagles20 said:
well cooney did look gassed and his production in the second half dipped. I know it's his strategy and my opinion is its not his best strategy. What's funny is he even admits in his book when talking about McNamara that he was exhausted in the second half of the championship game. How was his performance in that half? He was so dead in that half that he couldn't even bring the ball up. "What made Gerry that much more interesting was he wasn't a great shooter. His percentages over 4 years were 35, 39, 34, and 33. What happened on many occasions was that he played so hard,so relentlessly, that he was simply exhausted by the ends of games. That's certaintly what happened in the Kansas championship game, when he scored all his points in the first half." So his production fell because he was tired?

Did Jb mention that GMAC hurt his wrist at the end of the first half?

djcon57 said:
Good point, I haven't talked to the players... Should I stalk the players after the game or find out their cell #? What's the best option?

Stalk? Lol. Don't need to stalk. You want stalk, go to the football recruiting board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom