Any Surprises this NLI Groundhog Day? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Any Surprises this NLI Groundhog Day?

I’m pretty sure thy May 1st date is why spring practice at Syracuse will be done by April 1st this year.

Coaches will have one month to assess our needs after any player decides to transfer out following spring ball.

It’s a two-way street. Not only will coaches be able to fill behind anyone who decides to transfer out, but any player who decides to transfer out will have one month to find a new home and still be eligible for the 2022 season.

I think the reason for the April 1 date for the Spring Game may have more to do with the ACC wanting all their schools to have a true Spring Game and have all of them televised this year.

Those deadlines are tough for schools that are actually playing by the rules and not having any contact till after a player has entered the portal. Most schools want kids on campus which means their transcripts and eligibility have been approved for summer sessions. I would assume that Coaches need to vet players,not just their performance on the field, in the classroom but off it too, before offering. Unless the player gives their former coach a heads up that they are definitely leaving before the deadline, how do they replace a player? How does a player being replaced by a portal player late in that process, have time to react to transfer out? No wonder there’s cheating, obvious tampering etc going on - crazy process,

me to this repeat thread
giphy.gif

Jobidy and Denaburg today; Johnson on the 7th

Final spots OL, TE/WR and DT after spring ball. Would love to pick up Green (C) and Whigam (RT) to shore up the OL

Jobidy and Denaburg today; Johnson on the 7th

Final spots OL, TE/WR and DT after spring ball. Would love to pick up Green (C) and Whigam (RT) to shore up the OL
From other sources it sounds like there may be 3 signing today. Jobidy, Denaburg and another.

Very quiet day today.

Staff is confident in what they have and wants to see what happens after spring practices etc.

Probably will pick up a transfer or two I would assume after spring ball this year
Do they like their wide receiver unit? Are they okay with TE as is ...or are they going to try and grab a WR and TE later?

Last edited:
Do the like their wide receiver unit? Are they okay with TE as is ...or are they going to try and grab a WR and TE later?

Would think if they didn’t like them we would have had more targets out on WR but we didn’t..

My personal opinion is we need help on DL and at WR.

We will see after spring game

One known and two surprises. With that we conclude our festivities for today.
You posted recently we were at 81. I believe that was before Denaburg and Delaine committed. So if I'm counting correctly, we have one slot left, no (Johnson)?

You posted recently we were at 81. I believe that was before Denaburg and Delaine committed. So if I'm counting correctly, we have one slot left, no (Johnson)?

We're at 82 right now. It's likely going to be all portal from here on out or walk-ons getting scholarships prior to the fall.

Also maybe some other players that may leave the team that the staff are aware but have not been made public. Will be interesting to see the spring depth chart.

Don’t forget this year if you sign 25 players and the roster is less than 85, a school may offer up to seven additional scholarships.

Don’t forget this year if you sign 25 players and the roster is less than 85, a school may offer up to seven additional scholarships.
But right now we have signed 82 and have a class of 22 signees. That's 3 open scholarships. Schools can only sign additional scholarships if they can't meet the 85 with a full class of 25. Right now it doesn't appear that we will need additional scholarships to meet the 85 limit.

But right now we have signed 82 and have a class of 22 signees. That's 3 open scholarships. Schools can only sign additional scholarships if they can't meet the 85 with a full class of 25. Right now it doesn't appear that we will need additional scholarships to meet the 85 limit.
In my opinion we will lose up to five additional players between now and the end of spring practice

Don’t forget this year if you sign 25 players and the roster is less than 85, a school may offer up to seven additional scholarships.ly after the end of spring ball.

The Division I Council approved a one-year waiver of the annual signing limit and initial scholarship limits in football to allow schools to replace up to seven scholarship student-athletes who leave school after the last day of the school's fall term or Dec. 15, 2021.

Syracuse has only had one player enter the portal after December 15th. Markiewicz entered the portal on January 17th. According to the waiver, Syracuse could potentially only add only player so far.

I say so far because I expect there to be roster movement after the end of spring practices.
  • The secondary is crowded. With 2 portal transfers (and a third still possible) and five new freshmen, we now have 17 scholarship players in the secondary (for 5 positions). Although crowded, it should be a talented room. We could possibly have former starters listed as third string by the end of spring.
  • Among our 4 scholarship QBs three will be redshirt-freshman next season. Let's see if the man who draws the short straw after spring ball and is listed as fourth string sticks around. If anyone leaves, we will be left with only three scholarship QBs on the roster. This could be disastrous if we get hit by the injury bug. We need at least four.
  • Kickers/Punters. Is there another team in America with four kickers on scholarship?

Fortunately, our spring practice ends April 1st. We should know if anyone is leaving shortly after the end of spring ball. My understanding is any player who wants to be eligible for the 2022 season needs to inform their current school of their intent to transfer by May 1st. Although ending on April 1st will screw spring break for players who already get very few breaks during the year, it should give the coaches a head start to work the portal ahead of school who don't finish spring ball until later.

Lastly, if we currently have 82 players, does that include Devaughn Cooper or Kevon Darton?

It should be an interesting spring. I may attend the spring "game" just to see who gets reps.

Syracuse needs to make hay on high 3 stars. That is our sweet spot. And can get u to the promised land occasionally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom