Any thought regarding this comment by MCW? | Syracusefan.com

Any thought regarding this comment by MCW?

PhillyOrange

Walk On
"I'm just trying to deal with school work and get caught up, then after all that I'll make a decision," said Carter-Williams, who is majoring in Communications. "I'm really ahead of schedule. If I stay in school I'll be graduating next year."

I guess rumors of his academic ineligibility are greatly exaggerated.

I read that earlier today, I was wondering the same thing. Is there any shot he comes back?

The absolute only reason he will stay, which I'd put at maybe a 5% chance, would be that he got a taste of the Final Four and wants some more.

That said, he's gone. He'd be foolish not to considering how weak this draft class is.

We all know how weak this class is, but honestly who is to say next years won't be even weaker. Draft classes have been weak (and getting weaker) for like 5 years now.

Not saying he will or won't leave. Just an observation. I feel like weak classes like this year's is more the norm than an abberation nowadays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

When the NBA comes calling, you have a limited window of time to answer.

He can always come back and finish his degree if that doesn't pan out.

The absolute only reason he will stay, which I'd put at maybe a 5% chance, would be that he got a taste of the Final Four and wants some more.

That said, he's gone. He'd be foolish not to considering how weak this draft class is.

I agree. I'd be absolutely shocked if he came back next year given all of the factors that we know of. That said, this quote is intriguing. And it's pretty impressive that he'll graduate in three years if that's the route he ultimately chooses.

We all know how weak this class is, but honestly who is to say next years won't be even weaker. Draft classes have been weak (and getting weaker) for like 5 years now.

Not saying he will or won't leave. Just an observation. I feel like weak classes like this year's is more the norm than an abberation nowadays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

People love to talk about how weak this year is, not just as far as the draft class goes (how many times have we heard "anybody can win - college basketball is down this year" in the past five seasons?)

Maybe Jabari Parker and the other kid are really that good. Or maybe they'll come to school and play like Harrison Barnes or any of a number of other freshmen. Then we'll be saying the same thing about next season's draft.

I read that earlier today, I was wondering the same thing. Is there any shot he comes back?
About as good as Fab Melo graduating from SU.

He seems to have a grounded family, they could easily tell him to stay 1 more year, get his degree, win a championship, then pursue his dream in the NBA. The NBA will still be there next year, he might not be drafted as high, but college ball will be gone forever if he leaves, I'd love it if he came back, but in reality few do. I understand the draw of being a Lottery pick, but never understood why guys would want to get drafted by crap teams. If I was at all talented or tall, I'd rather be picked a round 15-20 and be on a winning team then be picked in the top 5 and lose for 5 years.

I'm not expecting him to come back, but if he does, I would be... happy.

Going 6'6" & 6'7" in the top of the zone would be ridiculous.

I noticed the same comment. Maybe he is genuinely torn about leaving his school/teammates and really hasn’t decided. Doesn’t mean he’s staying, but maybe it’s a harder decision than we all think. I’m as cynical as the next person but it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility that getting a degree could be important to a star basketball player. At the very least it’s good to hear he’s trying to catch up and won’t tank our APR – if true I’d certainly have a lot of respect for him.

It's all wishful thinking but can you imagine Syracuse having a roster with two potential, first team all-Americans (MCW & Fair). It's a long off season and coming off a final 4 run makes me extremely greedy for another ride...MCW has a bad taste in his mouth...He seems to be a very competitive kid. I would love to see him develop his outside shot in a Cuse jersey.

I agree. I'd be absolutely shocked if he came back next year given all of the factors that we know of. That said, this quote is intriguing. And it's pretty impressive that he'll graduate in three years if that's the route he ultimately chooses.

Unlike somebody like Jonny Flynn, MCW could have a better year if he came back. Right now, he's a "can't shoot" guard. With a year's work, he could answer that question, and we will be loaded next year if CJ is back.

It's all $$$ and sense at the end of the day.

MCW, as has been noted here, is already 21 and will be 22 before the college basketball season starts next year.

If he stays another year, he loses a year of earning potential. One extra NBA year is at the about $400,000, minimum. Does that year lost outweigh the potential injury risk?

I'd love for him to come back, but it would not be a wise choice.

I believe MCW would be making a bad decision to come back, especially since it looks like he is a lock to be a lottery pick. However, you never know what people are thinking and deciding to leave behind college life for the "real world" is a tough decision, especially when chances are money would be waiting for him after another year of college still.

People can argue that he doesn't want to end up like Jared Sullinger who went from being a Top 5 pick to being picked 22nd after staying another year in college. I don't think MCW is similar to Sullinger. Sullinger was looking like a top 5 pick because he was so dominant as a freshman. MCW is looking like a lottery pick because of potential. Unless MCW suddenly loses his potential I can't see him slipping very far in the draft. Remember when we were playing poorly many on this board and many "experts" were questioning MCW's NBA potential. Did he do enough during our 7-2 end to the season to change everyone's mind back to their original thoughts?

I don't know why I spend the time to post this, since I think he is going to declare for the NBA Draft and I don't blame him at all. Of course, if for some reason he did decide to return for his junior year I would welcome him.

Three possibilities:
1. He is saying this because its the truth. He hasn't made up his mind because he doesn't have all the facts before him. He needs to talk to JB, his parents, and whoever else before he / they can decide on what the best alternative is given what they need to know.

It'll obviously be about maximizing the NBA money. What is the best strategy and how much can he improve the payout by coming back for another year? If the answer turns out to be little, then he'll declare for the draft. If the answer is a lot, then he may stay. (That's when how much he likes school, how badly he wants a BS or BA come into play.)

The "experts" on this subject on this board all have their opinions based on what they read or even on some expertise they have accumulated based on years of watching the NBA draft, But, I'd think MCW and family would be looking for some really high quality advice.

2. He already knows what he is going to do, but is giving this answer to dodge the question.

I'd discount the "getting the degree" part of this as a motivator. We are talking about a kid who will earn 10 or 20 years worth of typical college grad salary by going pro.

Three possibilities:
1. He is saying this because its the truth. He hasn't made up his mind because he doesn't have all the facts before him. He needs to talk to JB, his parents, and whoever else before he / they can decide on what the best alternative is given what they need to know.

It'll obviously be about maximizing the NBA money. What is the best strategy and how much can he improve the payout by coming back for another year? If the answer turns out to be little, then he'll declare for the draft. If the answer is a lot, then he may stay. (That's when how much he likes school, how badly he wants a BS or BA come into play.)

The "experts" on this subject on this board all have their opinions based on what they read or even on some expertise they have accumulated based on years of watching the NBA draft, But, I'd think MCW and family would be looking for some really high quality advice.

2. He already knows what he is going to do, but is giving this answer to dodge the question.

I'd discount the "getting the degree" part of this as a motivator. We are talking about a kid who will earn 10 or 20 years worth of typical college grad salary by going pro.

You should not discount what you don't know. MCW's mom and stepdad are both teachers. And that's why MCW means it when he talks about graduating. It matters not how much he'd make as a pro.

It's all $$$ and sense at the end of the day.

MCW, as has been noted here, is already 21 and will be 22 before the college basketball season starts next year.

If he stays another year, he loses a year of earning potential. One extra NBA year is at the about $400,000, minimum. Does that year lost outweigh the potential injury risk?

I'd love for him to come back, but it would not be a wise choice.

That's overrated. If he goes too early before he's ready and gets with the wrong team, he'll be out of the league in a few years like Flynn, losing many years of earning potential.

I have no doubts that if Flynn ended up in a better situation, he'd still be in the league.

I'll use John Wallace as another example. He came back to school and even though he had an incredible year, he still went where he was projected to go after his junior year - mid first round. His senior year did nothing for his draft stock. He lost a year of "earning potential". Think he regrets it? He's an SU legend and well known former player because of that senior year. Nobody but diehards would remember him if he left as a junior. Nobody would be paying him to make speaking appearances.

How weak this draft class is? Hasn't the past 2 or 3 draft classes all been weak?

Lets also add another factor. MCW is incredibly competitive. Dion - as good and competitive as he was - also lived for the spotlight. When MCW is out there it just seems like he is out there for the win and his teammates not the spotlight. I wouldn't discount that. This would certainly make things interesting with having a major logjam for minutes but we would have one hell of a team next year.

Considering it is doubtful he will shrink, or stop dropping dimes I can't see his draft stock tanking for staying an extra year. Injury would be the only concern.

How weak this draft class is? Hasn't the past 2 or 3 draft classes all been weak?
Look at next year's class, is what I'm saying. This year MCW is pretty much a lock for the top 10. Next year he might slip to the mid teens or maybe even around 20, because next year's class is loaded.

That's overrated. If he goes too early before he's ready and gets with the wrong team, he'll be out of the league in a few years like Flynn, losing many years of earning potential.

I have no doubts that if Flynn ended up in a better situation, he'd still be in the league.

I'll use John Wallace as another example. He came back to school and even though he had an incredible year, he still went where he was projected to go after his junior year - mid first round. His senior year did nothing for his draft stock. He lost a year of "earning potential". Think he regrets it? He's an SU legend and well known former player because of that senior year. Nobody but diehards would remember him if he left as a junior. Nobody would be paying him to make speaking appearances.

Flynn got hurt and had surgery on his hip following his rookie year.

That had as much to do with his being out of the league as anything else IMO. Granted, the system was not conducive to his play but the injury played a role too.

Difference is, he had the guaranteed money from the NBA contract when he got hurt. If MCW gets hurt next year, while he may have insurance money - he won't have the guaranteed life of a rookie contract.

Look at next year's class, is what I'm saying. This year MCW is pretty much a lock for the top 10. Next year he might slip to the mid teens or maybe even around 20, because next year's class is loaded.

Nexts years class is always loaded because you have around 30-40 very good players coming in and starting for teams. But then they start playing games... and now were back to a weak draft...

People love to talk about how weak this year is, not just as far as the draft class goes (how many times have we heard "anybody can win - college basketball is down this year" in the past five seasons?)

Yeah I love this. I feel like we heard during last year how there were no true great teams. Then UK goes nuts, and now the talk is "there are no great teams like UK last year". If Lville had run through Wichita and Michigan tonight, the next year we'd have heard about how there aren't any great teams, like 2013 Lville.

Anyway, my guess is Mike really hasn't thought in depth about going to the NBA. But I bet when he sits down and all is said and done, he'll be gone.