Any thought regarding this comment by MCW? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Any thought regarding this comment by MCW?

Look at next year's class, is what I'm saying. This year MCW is pretty much a lock for the top 10. Next year he might slip to the mid teens or maybe even around 20, because next year's class is loaded.

The crazy thing is that falling out of the lottery if you are a good player is no longer such a bad thing. You are more likely to jump on with a contender or near contender. Thats not to say choose to be picked 17th vs 3rd. Its just to say that its not necessarily such a bad thing. Sullinger was productive as a rookie and will stick with Boston as a good value draft pick. If he was putting up 8 and 6 as the 8th pick.. that might not be the same scenario. Both Jonny and Wes underperformed and then were bounced around. Its hard to develop when your tossed as the salary cap fodder to another team before you really had a shot.

I'm sorry but how do you figure next years class as being solid. He will hands down be the best PG in college (if he returns). An NBA team will draft based on need. If they need a PG...he's your guy. Sullinger dropped because he had an issue with his back. Wallace came back to improve his draft status...it didn't get worse but it didn't get better. If MCW is looked as a top 12 pick...next year he maybe a top three.
Christ...Burke was POY...he maybe the worst POY ever. After Burke there is only MCW when it comes to PG's.

The crazy thing is that falling out of the lottery if you are a good player is no longer such a bad thing. You are more likely to jump on with a contender or near contender. Thats not to say choose to be picked 17th vs 3rd. Its just to say that its not necessarily such a bad thing. Sullinger was productive as a rookie and will stick with Boston as a good value draft pick. If he was putting up 8 and 6 as the 8th pick.. that might not be the same scenario. Both Jonny and Wes underperformed and then were bounced around. Its hard to develop when your tossed as the salary cap fodder to another team before you really had a shot.
I agree. Ideally for MCW, he would fall to the tail end of the lottery to a team like the Mavericks, for example, who are certainly in need of a point guard and might miss the playoffs this season so they'll probably be picking between 12-15. In that case he would get to play for an owner who loves his players, with a great player in Dirk, and some decent overall talent (though much of said talent is getting up in years).

the top PG taken next year will probably be whichever Harrison twin is the PG.

NBA draft.net has 6 of the first 7 picks being guys who are in high school right now. Now of course you never know what is going to happen, but the reason people are more bullish on the 2014 draft is because of the guys who aren't even in college yet.

And, in particular, Andrew Wiggins, who many think is the best prospect since LeBron.

Glad to see that graduating from SU means something to him but I would be shocked if he comes back

Great for our APR for him to finish this years school work

I'm not expecting him to come back, but if he does, I would be... happy.

Going 6'6" & 6'7" in the top of the zone would be ridiculous.
going 6 7 in mann would we have a chance to win it all

Yeah I love this. I feel like we heard during last year how there were no true great teams. Then UK goes nuts, and now the talk is "there are no great teams like UK last year". If Lville had run through Wichita and Michigan tonight, the next year we'd have heard about how there aren't any great teams, like 2013 Lville.
The experts are already lining up to give UK the title next year with 4 of the top 10 and 7 of the top 20 incoming freshmen next year plus the top 10 kid who is still uncommitted. Add the top guys left over from this year and they annoint UK already.

I'm sorry but how do you figure next years class as being solid. He will hands down be the best PG in college (if he returns). An NBA team will draft based on need. If they need a PG...he's your guy. Sullinger dropped because he had an issue with his back. Wallace came back to improve his draft status...it didn't get worse but it didn't get better. If MCW is looked as a top 12 pick...next year he maybe a top three.
Christ...Burke was POY...he maybe the worst POY ever. After Burke there is only MCW when it comes to PG's.
Well MCW is probably the best PG this year too, I'm not sure teams would take Burke over him (I think Smart is probably a combo G)

MCW is not a top 3 next year, no matter what he does. Wiggins, Parker, Randle and Vonleh are slotted for the top 4. MCW is top 12 right now easily, the absolute BEST he can hope for next year is top 7 or 8 probably. And that's assuming some kids struggle and he absolutely shines. Is 4 spots worth it? What if his shot doesn't improve? What if he gets hurt?

It's all wishful thinking but can you imagine Syracuse having a roster with two potential, first team all-Americans (MCW & Fair). It's a long off season and coming off a final 4 run makes me extremely greedy for another ride...MCW has a bad taste in his mouth...He seems to be a very competitive kid. I would love to see him develop his outside shot in a Cuse jersey.
It's my understanding that MCW and CJ are very good friends. Maybe the idea of playing another year with his bud might sway him towards staying.

If it were me...after seeing Kevin Ware's injury, I'd be gone.

MCW is not a top 3 next year, no matter what he does. Wiggins, Parker, Randle and Vonleh are slotted for the top 4. MCW is top 12 right now easily, the absolute BEST he can hope for next year is top 7 or 8 probably. And that's assuming some kids struggle and he absolutely shines. Is 4 spots worth it? What if his shot doesn't improve? What if he gets hurt?

Yeah, it just seems to me if you are top 12 or so there is a lot more downside than upside.

The experts are already lining up to give UK the title next year with 4 of the top 10 and 7 of the top 20 incoming freshmen next year plus the top 10 kid who is still uncommitted. Add the top guys left over from this year and they annoint UK already.

Yeah they are going to project to be a monster next year. Who knows how it plays out though

In the very least, it's refreshing to hear that he's getting his work caught up even if he does leave this year. He, Grant, and Southerland are like the only three players I ever see on campus. I see MCW almost every day.

I would venture to say that Burke is a homerun as the first PG taken. Of the teams who aren't all that good this year who really needs a bigtime guard? The wizards have Beal/Wall. The cavs Irving/Dion. That leaves teams like the kings, twolves, Pistons, Suns, Bobcats etc. You also have guys like Mclemore from KU, Smart from OKC, Burke, Oladipo and the lehigh kid who was injured. Smart and Mclemore are both pure scorers at the G position. Oladipo is the all around do it all type. I would say there is more competition than some think. Remember its how a player is projected more than the position they play at the collegiate level. There is no guarantee MCW goes before Smart/Oladipo. Therefore he could be behind 4 guards right off the bat.

Outside of the Kentucky twins - if all of the above head for the league maybe next year is not quite so great of a draft class. I think it will come down to who declares vs who stays honestly. If your projected as a late lotto to latter first round - the harm in staying is much less than being a guaranteed lotto pick. Worst case scenario is a couple teams in the range who need a PG go a different direction and you fall way back. I am thinking from MCW's perspective not ours as the benefit of a latter pick can come in handy with a better team as jekelish mentioned like the Mavs.

In 2010, when Perry Jones was still in HS, he was projected to be the #1 overall in the 2011 draft. He ended up falling to 28th in the 2012 draft. High school kids always project higher because there's limited knowledge on them. For most of the annointed ones, their draft stock starts falling the moment they start NCAA games. Next year's draft class is always going to be stronger.

I will say this is unlike what Jonny Flynn and Dion Waiters said the past 2 times. I don't think he will come back, but if wants a college degree then maybe. The money will be there this year or next, but if I were Jim Boeheim I would recommend he enter the draft UNLESS he says he wants to comeback and graduate.

I will say this is unlike what Jonny Flynn and Dion Waiters said the past 2 times. I don't think he will come back, but if wants a college degree then maybe. The money will be there this year or next, but if I were Jim Boeheim I would recommend he enter the draft UNLESS he says he wants to comeback and graduate.
He can always leave and finish school later.

remember dion announced last year on the monday after the Ohio State loss, maybe MCW is deciding

Flynn got hurt and had surgery on his hip following his rookie year.

That had as much to do with his being out of the league as anything else IMO. Granted, the system was not conducive to his play but the injury played a role too.

Difference is, he had the guaranteed money from the NBA contract when he got hurt. If MCW gets hurt next year, while he may have insurance money - he won't have the guaranteed life of a rookie contract.

The injury was part of it. But he also struggled in Minnesota, a terrible team with a terrible coach, and an offense that couldn't have fit him any worse. Guys got hurt a lot in the NBA.

Say Flynn had gone somewhere else and done better(likely) prior to getting hurt...if that was the case, one injury wouldn't have knocked him out of the league.

His game didnt develop and if anything regressed, in Minnesota.

The NBA is not a place to learn how to play. MCW has a lot to improve on. I think another year of improvement(assuming that he would) before entering the league would give him a better chance of having a longer career.

Who knows, could be wrong. Just another perspective. I don't always think the "get there as fast as possible for more years of earning potential" is the best approach for everyone because if you're not ready to contribute soon, you'll be gone and there won't be any years of earning potential.

If MCW enters the draft he is going to get picked by the Oklahoma City Thunder with the pick they got from the Toronto Raptors in 8 to 12 range. The Thunder will keep him on bench and he will probably play in the NBDL, but he will be paid to do so. MCW should enter the draft and take the money. The Thunder have scouted MCW more than almost any NBA team this year.

If I were a PR guy, I'd tell him to tweet about how he is cracking down and doing excellent with his studies. Kind of like taking the advice of a lawyer, I don't read much into it. I think he is gone. No hate on the kid, he goes with my blessing - a FF does that.

If you are looking at people that might stay on - I would look at CJ, then DC2. I think CJ will benefit from the extra year and will be easily talked into staying - liking his situation, get a degree, be the man, get a rise in draft status. Secondly, would be DC2 when his time comes. He is a local kid that will probably like school and value the opportunity to be a local legend.

If you believe the above to be the case and you were JB how could you pull away before '15-'16. You will have an upperclassman post presence in DC2, along with Ennis, Roberson, BJ, along with probably Briscoe and MG, Buss or Cooney. That's back to back final four material.

OrangeDW - you make a great point on the NBA is not where you learn to play and I don't think many people realize even lottery pick contracts are only for 2 years, year 3 and 4 are team options

OrangeDW - you make a great point on the NBA is not where you learn to play and I don't think many people realize even lottery pick contracts are only for 2 years, year 3 and 4 are team options

Ya, didn't this get implemented with the new CBA?

He's leaving. Since both of his parents are teachers he not just leaving school though. He will finish the classes he has now and then get his degree while he plays in the NBA.