Any1 else getting that Malachi to the NBA feeling? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Any1 else getting that Malachi to the NBA feeling?

Unfortunately, I'm starting to get it... Obviously he needs another yr, but who knows anymore... It will screw up what looks to be a very promising yr, next yr.

I hope not. But whatever he does Kid Mamba will probably be taking over regardless. What we really need is two really good centers. Of course it would be great to have MR play as a Sophomore. We have to play with who we get.

I think Howard is going to be a really good contributor next year. He seems to have the right mentality for this level of play. TR will be a senior and TL will be really good. I think our problem is going to be depth at center again unless they get another recruit somehow for next season.

That is because he is on an incredible hot streak that no one expected. Still a lot of season left but we are now aware of the possibility that he may be gone. If he gone, next years team will be short on fire power.

Last edited:
iommi said:
Battle/Richardson/Lydon/Moyer/Chukwu would be my ideal lineup. I realize Roberson will start, just saying my lineup is drool worthy. Talent, size, athleticism, shooting and a little bit of attitude. Battle is going to be an absolute beast at the top of the zone. He loves being disruptive on defense. If Chukwu is as advertised as a rim protector...yikes. My only question mark about next year if everyone comes back is ball handling.

Lydon will come off the bench to allow for Moyer as a starter.

Lydon will come off the bench to allow for Moyer as a starter.

I wasn't referring to a starting lineup, just my favorite combination but I think Moyer comes off the bench. He will bring a ton of energy in that role.

A kid that is forced to play zone and play out outside of his natural position may go pro?

WOW!

So surprised.
Why do you continue to follow this team/program then? To point out how wrong everything is? To mock and ridicule at every chance? Must be fun

Ennis was impressive in the pre-season Canadian games. I think he was starting to get a buzz by mid-season. The Pitt buzzer beater really gave him a lot of attention.
Ennis had already blown up after the Hawaii performances he turned in

Why do you continue to follow this team/program then? To point out how wrong everything is? To mock and ridicule at every chance? Must be fun

I love the program.

But people here conflate what is best for them with what is best for a player all the time.

I understand that Mal might go pro if he continues to increase his production.

I'm ok with that. The fact that he came here, plays what isn't his natural position and is ok with playing zone is a testament to the kid really wanting to be here. I can't applaud the kid more.

But, again, why be surprised if he goes to the NBA? If this kid gets a first round evaluation, he should go, period.

And then I'll hope he becomes an all star in the NBA and we keep getting better as a program.

Being real about the situation our program puts players in w/r/t the NBA doesn't mean I hate the program. It just means I'm aware of reality.

MSOrange said:
If he goes, that will be disappointing. But I'll enjoy him while he's here. I'm to the point where I don't project our lineup any further than the Wake Forest game.

I agree and that's a big reason why college basketball is dying. It's also killed the NBA for me too.

sounds similar to Donte Green 2008. That team finished .500 on the nose and Donte was forced into being a higher offensive option due to injuries. If the pattern follows Mal will get picked late first round. I'm guessing Phoenix #28 that the Suns got from Cleveland via Boston.

Yes Phoenix will draft him in the first round and then they will then sign another SG in free agency, ship him down to the D league and trade him to Milwaukie before the end of the season. The NBA is ridiculous.

Battle/Richardson/Roberson/Lydon/Chukwu is too filthy to even think about.

We're due some luck after this witch hunt we've been subjected to.
Not sure why everyone is projecting Chewy to be a game changer. His numbers at PC were pedestrian at best

Tyler Ennis?
Huge difference. Tyler hit his ceiling his 1st year and was never going to improve his draft stock.
Mali can raise his draft spot with a solid 2nd year.

Mali is the most talented player on this team by a mile IMO -- his stroke is as pretty can be and the last month he's been so consistent; his handle is average but when he drive he draws fouls and he finishes strong most of the time, he doesn't have any issues getting by his man usually; he makes some really dumb passes (freshman mistakes) but other time's he makes reqally impressive passes, his court vision is way better than I thought. He battles on the glass too even though he's out of position.

While Lydon has seemed to regressed because of increased attention, Mali seems to be playing better. Him and Battle would be deadly next year. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he finished the season as our leading scorer in the ACC. This is just what the doctor ordered for Cooney and G -- if you're the other coach is there any reason you put your 2nd best defender on Trev instead of Mali?

Not sure why everyone is projecting Chewy to be a game changer. His numbers at PC were pedestrian at best

I like the Chewy nickname. He's about as tall as Chewbacca. I think Chukwu will be limited offensively. That being said, how can you not be excited by a legit 7'2" shot blocker in the zone, who can run the floor. And he'll have a year in the program to learn the zone and get stronger. Chewy doesn't have to be a big scorer, but I think he's more than capable of scoring 6ppg off lobs and put backs alone.

Last edited:
I agree and that's a big reason why college basketball is dying. It's also killed the NBA for me too.
If not for the fact that I am a lifelong fan, grew up in upstate, and I'm a grad, I would not care that much about college bb in its current state. A large part of what made college bb great is that teams had followings greater than their alumni. Games were a big deal to lots of people. The fact that the best players are now one and done destroys any semblance of stability. This makes college bb a sport that is less attractive. Game outcomes are pretty much predetermined by recruiting rather than team development, player development or coaching strategy. It's hardly different from watching pick-up games. I imagine that the typical person tuning into a game, that is not an alum, is simply looking at the one and done players and trying to gage how good a pro he might be.

I wonder what the numbers are in terms of NBA growth compared to college basketball revenue growth. TV contracts are up but how much in percentage compared to the nba?

I like the Chewy nickname. He's about as tall as Chewbacca. I think Chukwu will be limited offensively. That being said, how can you not be excited by a legit 7'2" shot blocker in the zone, who can run the floor. And he'll have a year in the program to learn the zone and get stronger. Chewy doesn't have to be a big scorer, but I think he's more than capable to scoring 6ppg off lobs and put backs alone.
If Lydon is not a scorer and Mal is gone, then yes, we will need a center that scores or we will, as usual, be offensively challenged.

If Lydon is not a scorer and Mal is gone, then yes, we will need a center that scores or we will, as usual, be offensively challenged.

True but I think Lydon gains some confidence, gets stronger and more assertive with a year under his belt. And I'm cautiously optimistic Malachi comes back.

I like the Chewy nickname. He's about as tall as Chewbacca. I think Chukwu will be limited offensively. That being said, how can you not be excited by a legit 7'2" shot blocker in the zone, who can run the floor. And he'll have a year in the program to learn the zone and get stronger. Chewy doesn't have to be a big scorer, but I think he's more than capable to scoring 6ppg off lobs and put backs alone.
Someone needs to get the arbiter of nicknames in here stat. I think Chewy should get an immediate thumbs up. But until the AONN shows his face, the name is purely probationary.
OttoinGrotto

True but I think Lydon gains some confidence, gets stronger and more assertive with a year under his belt. And I'm cautiously optimistic Malachi comes back.
I'll drink to that but its pretty early in the morning up here. Where is Cuse Troop when we need him?

AlaskaSU said:

And if Joseph transfers, we'll have two guards, neither of whom can shoot well.

We're going to need a guard if Malachi leaves.

This is ABSOLUTELY a concern of mine. Hes an nba player. If he doesnt come back, we have battle howard and joseph as guards next year. That would be devastating.

And if Joseph transfers, we'll have two guards, neither of whom can shoot well.

We're going to need a guard if Malachi leaves.
Would love to get a 5th year grad transfer..Where would Ville be without Lewis and Lee?

It all comes down to the kid. If his goal for his collegiate experience was to play on an NIT team and bide time until he can jump as quickly as possible, then he's achieved that goal. If he wants to be part of something special and contend for a final four, then he'll come back and play with Battle.

Will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Someone needs to get the arbiter of nicknames in here stat. I think Chewy should get an immediate thumbs up. But until the AONN shows his face, the name is purely probationary.
OttoinGrotto

I've tried to make Lydon's nickname, "Rotten," as in Johnny "Rotten" Lydon of the Sex Pistols and PIL infamy. We've had a Dirty, so why not a Rotten?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom