Any1 else getting that Malachi to the NBA feeling? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Any1 else getting that Malachi to the NBA feeling?

It all comes down to the kid. If his goal for his collegiate experience was to play on an NIT team and bide time until he can jum as quickly as possible, then he's achieved that goal. If he wants to be part of something special and contend for a final four, then he'll come back and play with Battle.

Will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Those are factors, but usually it comes down to $$$$$ and whether he/ his family needs it right away. As far as I know, being a Jersey resident and having read a lot about Malachi, his family strikes me as a typical middle class family. I don't claim to know their financial needs obviously, but I doubt it's a situation like C-Mac, where there was an immediate need.

Someone needs to get the arbiter of nicknames in here stat. I think Chewy should get an immediate thumbs up. But until the AONN shows his face, the name is purely probationary.
OttoinGrotto
I think he'll have several. Pikachu works, Chewie works. Personally I like Groot.

He's a versatile player.

Huge difference. Tyler hit his ceiling his 1st year and was never going to improve his draft stock.
Mali can raise his draft spot with a solid 2nd year.

The poster said he's never seen a player go from no radar to suddenly a lottery pick.

I find that funny because that's what happened with Ennis. Are the situations identical? Of course not. You can nitpick anything you want for specifics. Fact is... Ennis wasn't a projected lottery pick, or even close preseason, and then he left.

Richardson's ceiling much higher ovviously, I agree.

I like the Chewy nickname. He's about as tall as Chewbacca. I think Chukwu will be limited offensively. That being said, how can you not be excited by a legit 7'2" shot blocker in the zone, who can run the floor. And he'll have a year in the program to learn the zone and get stronger. Chewy doesn't have to be a big scorer, but I think he's more than capable of scoring 6ppg off lobs and put backs alone.
A former Top-75 recruit out of high school, Chukwu averaged just 2.6 points and 2.4 rebounds last season, but could be a real factor down the road in the middle of the Orange's 2-3 zone.

A former Top-75 recruit out of high school, Chukwu averaged just 2.6 points and 2.4 rebounds last season, but could be a real factor down the road in the middle of the Orange's 2-3 zone.

Serious question: did you cut and paste this from some report of Chewie's transfer-to-SU announcement?

If Malachi was even looked at, he would be a major defensive liability if he went this year. Needs a year of college ball to play his nba position. Furthermore hes been guarded by forwards instead of guards as well, needs a year to adjust to that.

Last edited:
LOL, I agree with you. Heck, McCullough was all that AND had a torn ACL and still got drafted!!
That IS pretty astonishing. Even if he had been a stud you don't know how someone will come back from an injury like that.

Not sure why everyone is projecting Chewy to be a game changer. His numbers at PC were pedestrian at best
Optimism that he'll be another Gbinije? Granted Providence (that's what the PC stands for right?) is not Duke but Ed Cooley has had them improving every year. They might be higher than Duke in the rankings next week.

If not for the fact that I am a lifelong fan, grew up in upstate, and I'm a grad, I would not care that much about college bb in its current state. A large part of what made college bb great is that teams had followings greater than their alumni. Games were a big deal to lots of people. The fact that the best players are now one and done destroys any semblance of stability. This makes college bb a sport that is less attractive. Game outcomes are pretty much predetermined by recruiting rather than team development, player development or coaching strategy. It's hardly different from watching pick-up games. I imagine that the typical person tuning into a game, that is not an alum, is simply looking at the one and done players and trying to gage how good a pro he might be.

I wonder what the numbers are in terms of NBA growth compared to college basketball revenue growth. TV contracts are up but how much in percentage compared to the nba?
This is a very thoughtful post and explains to me why so many mid majors can pick off the bigger teams - the great players they recruit don't stay, and in the preseason the new crop of great players haven't gelled yet. They may have gelled by tournament time but the mid major teams have gotten stronger too.

Someone needs to get the arbiter of nicknames in here stat. I think Chewy should get an immediate thumbs up. But until the AONN shows his face, the name is purely probationary.
OttoinGrotto
We don't want to call him Chuck like the campus bar and encourage the same behavior of a certain other 7 footer...

Huge difference. Tyler hit his ceiling his 1st year and was never going to improve his draft stock.
Mali can raise his draft spot with a solid 2nd year.
Grant had the chance to come back and be the unquestioned star and had more room to run in terms of draft stock and he didn't come back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom