Apathy? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Apathy?

Question...

I may have missed it because the first couple games I was out before halftime because it was a blowout. Have we acknowledged Jim Brown yet since his passing in May at a game? I mean, the Cleveland Browns are wearing his number on the helmet all year with a sticker. I don't expect that since he is #44 and its a shared number, but did we do a video tribute at all for him yet since he passed? Lord knows we should have done a moment of silence on the first home game of the year in all honesty. I may have missed it I admit, but if we haven't that is a horrible job. Jim Brown is Syracuse Football! Do something, a 1 min video package or something with some highlights...anything. Small retrospective on the mans life for pete sakes.

Regarding gameday experience....I understand in 2023 at all football games, you can't just have a quiet TV timeout where nothing is going on. There needs to be a gimmick. Video game racing trucks on the big screen, t-shirt time, lady giving away $100 to Turning Stone, upgrade the seats...etc. It's annoying, And I can't expect SU to be the lone school to buck the trend. But every game is groundhogs day, like do something to mix it up some. Come up with some fresh ideas. Get rid of the kids chanting "LGO"...its horrible. There are a million ideas of "fun" and "fresh" things to do to improve the gameday experience.

Question...

I may have missed it because the first couple games I was out before halftime because it was a blowout. Have we acknowledged Jim Brown yet since his passing in May at a game? I mean, the Cleveland Browns are wearing his number on the helmet all year with a sticker. I don't expect that since he is #44 and its a shared number, but did we do a video tribute at all for him yet since he passed? Lord knows we should have done a moment of silence on the first home game of the year in all honesty. I may have missed it I admit, but if we haven't that is a horrible job. Jim Brown is Syracuse Football! Do something, a 1 min video package or something with some highlights...anything. Small retrospective on the mans life for pete sakes.

Regarding gameday experience...I understand in 2023 at all football games, you can't just have a quiet TV timeout where nothing is going on. There needs to be a gimmick. Video game racing trucks on the big screen, t-shirt time, lady giving away $100 to Turning Stone, upgrade the seats...etc. It's annoying, And I can't expect SU to be the lone school to buck the trend. But every game is groundhogs day, like do something to mix it up some. Come up with some fresh ideas. Get rid of the kids chanting "LGO"...its horrible. There are a million ideas of "fun" and "fresh" things to do to improve the gameday experience.

I think we did a moment of silence for Jim before the Colgate game.

I’m stating the obvious, but video boards, contests, and the like, have nothing to do with enhancing the fan experience. They just generate revenue. Chants that develop organically in the student section immediately get drowned-out by inaudible sponsored nonsense. It’s just how live sports are these days, unfortunately.

I’m stating the obvious, but video boards, contests, and the like, have nothing to do with enhancing the fan experience. They just generate revenue. Chants that develop organically in the student section immediately get drowned-out by inaudible sponsored nonsense. It’s just how live sports are these days, unfortunately.

You can generate revenue without the video. "This SU band song is sponsored by so and so" then as the band plays the video board shows so and so's logo. You can do the same for the cheerleaders, Otto, dance team, etc. Not hard.

You can generate revenue without the video. "This SU band song is sponsored by so and so" then as the band plays the video board shows so and so's logo. You can do the same for the cheerleaders, Otto, dance team, etc. Not hard.
In my experience, marketing/sales types do not possess much imagination.

It has 100% everything to do with the fan experience. If what you are doing with the video boards annoy's the fans in their seats (or a majority of them), it ruins their experience at the game...lol The fan experience is everything that happens the moment you leave your house to the moment you walk back in the front door later that day.

The commute, parking, getting into the dome with virtual ticket, food, your seat, the people sitting around you being nice or unruly, what happens on the field (win or loss), what happens during the slow points of the game (band/videos..etc), your trip home. All of it. That was your gameday experience of going to an SU football game.

When you go out to dinner, your "experience" just isn't the food and meal. It's the call to make reservations, your wait time before being seated, your waitress and how she did her job, the food itself, the cost, and if you felt rushed to leave when done. The experience of everything will dictate if you go back to the restaurant or not again. An "EXPERIENCE" is many things not just one.

I've stated for many years, the powers that be have control over the "winning or losing" on the field. But if you make going to an SU football game a "party" and have a "party atmosphere,"...people will go just to have a good time, and if we win the game just a cherry on top. There are so many simple and easy ideas that would cost no money or very little money, to just make the entire game experience better. They just don't seem to care.

It has 100% everything to do with the fan experience. If what you are doing with the video boards annoy's the fans in their seats (or a majority of them), it ruins their experience at the game...lol The fan experience is everything that happens the moment you leave your house to the moment you walk back in the front door later that day.

The commute, parking, getting into the dome with virtual ticket, food, your seat, the people sitting around you being nice or unruly, what happens on the field (win or loss), what happens during the slow points of the game (band/videos..etc), your trip home. All of it. That was your gameday experience of going to an SU football game.

When you go out to dinner, your "experience" just isn't the food and meal. It's the call to make reservations, your wait time before being seated, your waitress and how she did her job, the food itself, the cost, and if you felt rushed to leave when done. The experience of everything will dictate if you go back to the restaurant or not again. An "EXPERIENCE" is many things not just one.

I've stated for many years, the powers that be have control over the "winning or losing" on the field. But if you make going to an SU football game a "party" and have a "party atmosphere,"...people will go just to have a good time, and if we win the game just a cherry on top. There are so many simple and easy ideas that would cost no money or very little money, to just make the entire game experience better. They just don't seem to care.
Bingo. Well said.

Also professional teams do this. Look at baseball games now. The Mets introduced DJs and party themed Friday nights. Sports is entertainment. Why do the Savannah Bananas do so well? It’s entertainment. Folks want to enjoy their time. It has to be treated at such. You can’t just rely on the product on the field. I’d love to consult to the ADs office on this. A group of us from this board alone could make a significant difference without impacting in game revenue at all. There’s data on all this stuff. It’s not even hard to predict the impact.

I know...everybody schedules to get in a bowl game. I also know those practices get us closer to reaching football nirvana. I also know this is an event town and the schedule has no 'events" on it.
That's why I wish we would be more aggressive with scheduling games with name brands that are also winnable games. Nebraska, Auburn, Iowa, even West Virginia. We have nothing to be afraid of with those programs, but their name recognition will excite the casual fan. Plus they travel very well themselves.

I mean Nebraska could play a game on Pluto and they would have 10k fans there. And they're incredibly average at best. It's the definition of a win-win.

Nobody complained about the Gameday Experience in the 80's and 90's. The biggest part of the Gameday Experience is the fans themselves. Fill the bowl up and just being there is exciting.
I try to stay out of these threads, but this comment really nails it.

Of course SU could do a little better with the game day presentation. But, by and large, it is the engagement and intensity of the fans that have the most impact on "experience".

The venues of my favorite pro teams (TD Garden, Fenway, Gillette) all have the modern touches in terms of music, in-arena interviews, games, video board stuff, etc. But what makes the experience at those venues fun is that the fans are into the game in a proactive way.

For whatever reason, SU fans have always been a bit "too cool for school". They don't sing the fight song, they don't participate in organized chants... they sit on their hands for all the stuff that makes college games unique.

I'll never forget going to the 2013 Final Four in Atlanta, where not only were SU fans outclassed by the crowd participation of Louisville and Michigan fans, but we were outclassed by WICHITA STATE fans. It was sad.

Anyway, if SU fans really want a better game day experience we need to start with ourselves. Like Michael Jackson sang in Man in the Mirror, "take a look at yourself and make a change".

Of course SU could do a little better with the game day presentation. But, by and large, it is the engagement and intensity of the fans that have the most impact on "experience".

The venues of my favorite pro teams (TD Garden, Fenway, Gillette) all have the modern touches in terms of music, in-arena interviews, games, video board stuff, etc. But what makes the experience at those venues fun is that the fans are into the game in a proactive way.

For whatever reason, SU fans have always been a bit "too cool for school". They don't sing the fight song, they don't participate in organized chants... they sit on their hands for all the stuff that makes college games unique.

I'll never forget going to the 2013 Final Four in Atlanta, where not only were SU fans outclassed by the crowd participation of Louisville and Michigan fans, but we were outclassed by WICHITA STATE fans. It was sad.

Anyway, if SU fans really want a better game day experience we need to start with ourselves. Like Michael Jackson sang in Man in the Mirror, "take a look at yourself and make a change".
If only they cared about that stuff as much as they care about starting a wave chant. It’s truly bizarre.

For the Army game I got four seats row A section 129 for $150. Field level by the cheer team, on the fifteen yard line, for $150.

The cost of tickets is not the issue.

I spent $30 to park and $30 on food / drink.

$210 all told. That's not bad (to me).

When I took my family to an Orioles game last month I spent $190 for four tickets. Then another $60 for food and drink. Then another $160 for a couple jerseys for the kids.

$410 all in. Sucked but it was the kids first major league game and it was on a family vacation. Well worth it to me.

Your going to pay for the experience. I think that's where the school lacks.

Outside Camden Yards is an experience before the game.

The Quad and lack of tailgating space means the overall event lacks the pizzazz other events have.

Just my two cents.

Give me the quad over downtown Baltimore a million times over.

They do a pretty good job of all the rah-rah college stuff, band, cheerleaders, party tents, Otto everywhere, etc...

I guess if you see it every week it's taken for granted.

What happens during commercial breaks and SU's in game entrainment are torture. It has gotten to the point where I wonder why do I come? It is a college game, give us the college experience.

Happens all over...the schools makes money off the ads, not the band (sadly)

Happens all over...the schools makes money off the ads, not the band (sadly)
But it isn’t really ads though that are the issue.

Having the company logo before and after the truck race vs having the company logo the whole time during a kid on field dress like an orange race. Actually get more exposure and fan interest with the later.

Maybe SU fan't aren't the best but they are a product of what you give them. Feed a man McDonalds every day and he is a fat slob. Feed a man a salad every day and he is probably in shape.

If SU did better things to cultivate fan engagement then the fan experience would be better.

Chicken or egg theory we are discussing I get that, but if your fan engagement is bad which it clearly is, the school needs to do things to draw the engagement out of people

How would you know those teams get clowned if you don’t read the twitter comments?

Personally I view Twitter much the same way as the graffiti in a truck stop bathroom. It’s entertaining to read while I’m taking a pee, but most of it is stupid nonsense. So I read the comments, but if they are negative I just don’t care since I’m just looking to be amused for a moment. In both cases it’s ok to be totally wrong as long as you can be funny.

Fewer and fewer people can write hilarious truck stop bathroom graffiti or Tweets…sadly it appears to be a dying art.

Maybe SU fan't aren't the best but they are a product of what you give them. Feed a man McDonalds every day and he is a fat slob. Feed a man a salad every day and he is probably in shape.

If SU did better things to cultivate fan engagement then the fan experience would be better.

Chicken or egg theory we are discussing I get that, but if your fan engagement is bad which it clearly is, the school needs to do things to draw the engagement out of people
I think that is true. Look at old Yankee Stadium and the new one. Totally different atmosphere. Music blaring. No organic crowd chants. They made the experience so much worse.

So what can SU do to engage with fans more meaningfully? What are other schools doing that SU isn't?

I'm genuinely curious. Often when I hear these gripes they're either (a) pretty vague, (b) about things that simply aren't going to happen (e.g. opening practices), or (c) involve "solutions" that don't scale and really make a difference.

So what can SU do to engage with fans more meaningfully? What are other schools doing that SU isn't?

I'm genuinely curious. Often when I hear these gripes they're either (a) pretty vague, (b) about things that simply aren't going to happen (e.g. opening practices), or (c) involve "solutions" that don't scale and really make a difference.
Glad you asked. Here are 4 simple ideas off the top of my head (and I got more if you want them)

1) Before EVERY home game, have 2 former SU players at the Dome taking pictures and signing autographs for all fans. Put one in the concourse in the 100 level behind one endzone. Put the other in the opposite endzone. People love FREE, people love autographs and most important they love pictures they can put on their Facebook/Instagram/Twitter. You give fans a moment with a former player, AND you are encouraging them to get inside the Dome earlier so they will be in their seat for kickoff. If someone is on the fence of going to an SU game one week, but hey if we go we can get a picture with Rob Konrad or Dwight Freeney, or Justin Pugh...whoever. That may intice them to say lets go, maybe we only stay till halftime but you got people in the door and you give fans a MOMENT with a former player.

2) You have the quad which is totally mis-used. In Syracuse/Onondaga County the Taste of Syracuse, Italian Fest, Polish Fest...ech and all of those things draw huge crowds in the spring/summer. Food Trucks are popular right now. Have about 5-10 food trucks in the Quad with all different types of food. Way for husbands to drag their wives and girlfriends to games. Hey you may not like football...but before the game for 2 hours have a few drinks and lets try some various foods outside, it will be fun. Keyword is "FUN". And for people going to the game, a way for them who may not be into tailgating because that's a lot of work and prep, to go early and enjoy the nice weather months outside in September/October when the majority of SU's home games are.

3) The in-game experience, I understand you have your paid sponsors like Turning Stone who wants to give away $100 or whatever during a TV timeout. And the seat upgrade, those things aren't going away. But sit down and go over the 20 or so (or whatever the number is) of those bits/promotions and be like, does this work or doesn't work. The ones with no sponsor's behind it, be honest and be like this one really is just taking up time and adds no value, let's find something better. The ones with money behind them obviously will stay

4) You have a dance team and a cheerleader squad. Again, fans like pictures. At every gate walking in the dome have a member from the dance team and/or cheerleader squad there to take pictures with kids, family's, or any fan who wants them. Put smiles on peoples faces walking INTO THE DOME!!!

This isn't the 1980's and 1990's where the "game sold itself"...those days are gone and not coming back. People want an "experience" or a "moment". They want to share that on social media, they want to go to an "event" and not a game. For the older crowd, (which I consider myself to be part of at this stage in life)...I don't get it. But I see what the younger generation wants and what other stadiums do when I go and that is how they build that party and FUN atmosphere. Syracuse is really lacking!

And what I laid out may not make a difference TO YOU...but this isn't about YOU or ME...it's about what the modern sports fan wants and expects in going to games these days. They want more than the game! And Business 101, give the customer what they want!

Glad you asked. Here are 4 simple ideas off the top of my head (and I got more if you want them)

1) Before EVERY home game, have 2 former SU players at the Dome taking pictures and signing autographs for all fans. Put one in the concourse in the 100 level behind one endzone. Put the other in the opposite endzone. People love FREE, people love autographs and most important they love pictures they can put on their Facebook/Instagram/Twitter. You give fans a moment with a former player, AND you are encouraging them to get inside the Dome earlier so they will be in their seat for kickoff. If someone is on the fence of going to an SU game one week, but hey if we go we can get a picture with Rob Konrad or Dwight Freeney, or Justin Pugh...whoever. That may intice them to say lets go, maybe we only stay till halftime but you got people in the door and you give fans a MOMENT with a former player.

2) You have the quad which is totally mis-used. In Syracuse/Onondaga County the Taste of Syracuse, Italian Fest, Polish Fest...ech and all of those things draw huge crowds in the spring/summer. Food Trucks are popular right now. Have about 5-10 food trucks in the Quad with all different types of food. Way for husbands to drag their wives and girlfriends to games. Hey you may not like football...but before the game for 2 hours have a few drinks and lets try some various foods outside, it will be fun. Keyword is "FUN". And for people going to the game, a way for them who may not be into tailgating because that's a lot of work and prep, to go early and enjoy the nice weather months outside in September/October when the majority of SU's home games are.

3) The in-game experience, I understand you have your paid sponsors like Turning Stone who wants to give away $100 or whatever during a TV timeout. And the seat upgrade, those things aren't going away. But sit down and go over the 20 or so (or whatever the number is) of those bits/promotions and be like, does this work or doesn't work. The ones with no sponsor's behind it, be honest and be like this one really is just taking up time and adds no value, let's find something better. The ones with money behind them obviously will stay

4) You have a dance team and a cheerleader squad. Again, fans like pictures. At every gate walking in the dome have a member from the dance team and/or cheerleader squad there to take pictures with kids, family's, or any fan who wants them. Put smiles on peoples faces walking INTO THE DOME!!!

This isn't the 1980's and 1990's where the "game sold itself"...those days are gone and not coming back. People want an "experience" or a "moment". They want to share that on social media, they want to go to an "event" and not a game. For the older crowd, (which I consider myself to be part of at this stage in life)...I don't get it. But I see what the younger generation wants and what other stadiums do when I go and that is how they build that party and FUN atmosphere. Syracuse is really lacking!

And what I laid out may not make a difference TO YOU...but this isn't about YOU or ME...it's about what the modern sports fan wants and expects in going to games these days. They want more than the game! And Business 101, give the customer what they want!
I appreciate the thoughtful response. Good stuff.

I agree about #3. Every non-game minute is the Dome is precious, and SU should be rigorous is making sure that they maximize fan enjoyment in those moments. Sponsored things should be engaging and fun. No arguments from me on this one.

And #2 has been an idea that's kicked around for years. I admit to not knowing the logistical issues with it. Seems like a no brainer. The tented area on the Quad always struck me as a bit elitist. Food trucks are definitely for the people. I'm not sold on the notion that this would attract more people to games, but it would certainly help the atmosphere.

#1 and #4 don't land with me. I mean, it's fine, nothing wrong with autographs and pictures. But it's not a draw. And honestly it's the kind of thing that people here will bitch and moan about anyway (the line was too long, they left too soon before kickoff, why don't they ever get good players, etc).

Look, I agree with you about improving the experience beyond the game. But the team still has to be good and the crowd still has to be willing to be engaged.

Fenway Park is a great example. No one does more to create a festive gameday atmosphere than the Sox. The Fens is practically a carnival. During the season they offer $9 standing-room-only entry to college students and it's a big, drunken party. But you know what? It also helps that Sox fans sing along to Sweet Caroline. It helps that they launch into chants and cheers that aren't prompted by the scoreboard. It's not just Sox management that cultivates the experience, it's also the fans themselves.

And the place has been a morgue the past month, because the team sucks.

I agree about #3. Every non-game minute is the Dome is precious, and SU should be rigorous is making sure that they maximize fan enjoyment in those moments. Sponsored things should be engaging and fun. No arguments from me on this one.

And #2 has been an idea that's kicked around for years. I admit to not knowing the logistical issues with it. Seems like a no brainer. The tented area on the Quad always struck me as a bit elitist. Food trucks are definitely for the people. I'm not sold on the notion that this would attract more people to games, but it would certainly help the atmosphere.

#1 and #4 don't land with me. I mean, it's fine, nothing wrong with autographs and pictures. But it's not a draw. And honestly it's the kind of thing that people here will bitch and moan about anyway (the line was too long, they left too soon before kickoff, why don't they ever get good players, etc).

Look, I agree with you about improving the experience beyond the game. But the team still has to be good and the crowd still has to be willing to be engaged.

Fenway Park is a great example. No one does more to create a festive gameday atmosphere than the Sox. The Fens is practically a carnival. During the season they offer $9 standing-room-only entry to college students and it's a big, drunken party. But you know what? It also helps that Sox fans sing along to Sweet Caroline. It helps that they launch into chants and cheers that aren't prompted by the scoreboard. It's not just Sox management that cultivates the experience, it's also the fans themselves.

I think 1 and 4 are important because people will share pictures on social media. It's FREE promotion and creates FOMO. There's nothing but upside to that. People complain about everything but this is an excellent idea.

I dated the roommate of a dance team member in the early 10s and If I am not mistaken they did (and might still?) do the dance team/cheer leaders taking pictures. They hated it, creepy guys getting handsy and drunk people running into everyone. If they killed it because adults are incapable of behaving then i wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Go to 1:37.55 for an interview with John Wildhack, who wants everyone to know how thankful they are for the fans who bought tickets - but he wishes there were more of them. The community isn't responded as well as they might but the students are coming in record numbers and Steve Infante's daughter says that going to the games is "a big thing on campus".

I wish we had a tradition before the players take the field. For example:

Boomer Sooner Wagon
Colorado with the Buffalo
Purdue has a famous alumni beat the drum
Vikings have someone blow the Horn
Seahawks have the Hawk that flies from top of stadium to handler
Oregon Duck coming out on a motorcycle

We used to have Otto driving a golf cart but that was the saddest thing i ever saw.

Now that we have the LED lights you can either black it out, or possibly Orange it out and have some kind of fan hype video. Then when everything is blacked out have Otto come down from the scoreboard not in the view of fans, non Owen Hart style a la Blue Blazer, and then pooof the lights come on and Otto is magically at mid-field waving the Orange flag with the noise meter going for fans to get louder on scoreboard. You can have the Undertaker theme music in the background as we wait for the team to take the field and when they do the music stops and the band hits the fight song. Maybe something fun like this will get people in their seats by kickoff. It used to be back in the 80’s and 90’s I never had more fun when i was young yelling at guys like Major Harris, Ray Lewis, etc when they took the field and used to come pray in the EZ where my seats were.

Last edited: