Apathy? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Apathy?

Most ideas that the fans would love would literally cost zero dollars. It's about just giving the fans perks , a reason to show up, show up early, and to get new fans and grow the fan-base.

The world has changed, you aren't getting new fans who will show up "just for the games". Does winning cure all, to a point. But not like it did in years past. Fans, the new modern fans, want more. Not everyone is a diehard football fan, but they will show up for an EVENT/PARTY/FESTIVLE-type atmosphere. And if a football game is being played around it, great

Honest question - have you ever walked on the quad before a game? I get there once a year when I can, and people are eating and drinking and music and all the rah-rah college stuff is going on...not sure what I'm missing.

End of the day the market may just be limited. Reducing capacity will help

I went to only one game this year, and cant tomorrow due to a wedding. On the quad they had a few food trucks that day but ya more would have been great.

They always have food trucks. Always. That nobody seems to be aware of that (or in reality, care) shows what impact food trucks actually have on fan interest.

And there aren’t more food trucks because almost nobody goes to the ones that are there. Even if the university let me park a food truck on the Quad for free, I’d still have a bunch of operational and opportunity costs - and if they are making money right now, it’s not a lot. If the university said they were going to double the number of food trucks in the quad, I’d probably bail because there’s no way we’re going to double the number of people buying food from the food trucks - so my minuscule profit might turn into a loss now.

If more food trucks would be great, more people need to be buying food from the trucks that are already there (and that an amazing number of people on this thread don’t even know already exist…)

Go to 1:37.55 for an interview with John Wildhack, who wants everyone to know how thankful they are for the fans who bought tickets - but he wishes there were more of them. The community isn't responded as well as they might but the students are coming in record numbers and Steve Infante's daughter says that going to the games is "a big thing on campus".

"Record number of alumni" per JW and we know students are going to every game.

C'mon locals!!!. You're going to let Chad and Lisa from Long Island outnumber you at the Dome!?! Lol

explain this.. the vast majority of stadiums you dont have close parking for tailgating.. Its just not a culture here. I mean I was at LSU. walked way more than a mile from the parking. tons of tailgating for sure.. But it was not as close to the dome as the quad is. Having people doing it at SKY top is not the issue..
ok as long as you say so. I like the team and find it a pain in the A$$ - I talk to people all day. Hey you going to the game. Nahh getting up there is a pain and i dont want to deal with it is something i hear alot.

They always have food trucks. Always. That nobody seems to be aware of that (or in reality, care) shows what impact food trucks actually have on fan interest.

And there aren’t more food trucks because almost nobody goes to the ones that are there. Even if the university let me park a food truck on the Quad for free, I’d still have a bunch of operational and opportunity costs - and if they are making money right now, it’s not a lot. If the university said they were going to double the number of food trucks in the quad, I’d probably bail because there’s no way we’re going to double the number of people buying food from the food trucks - so my minuscule profit might turn into a loss now.

If more food trucks would be great, more people need to be buying food from the trucks that are already there (and that an amazing number of people on this thread don’t even know already exist…)

Thanks for posting this. Could've sworn I've seen them and was wondering...

Complaining about not having things we have is something.

ok as long as you say so. I like the team and find it a pain in the A$$ - I talk to people all day. Hey you going to the game. Nahh getting up there is a pain and i dont want to deal with it is something i hear alot.
What makes it a pain? Genuinely curious.

Before I had a group that I tailgate with I just parked at University ave garage, had some adult beverages and walked to Varsity on the way up the hill.

I think the limited amount of cash lots is not ideal for the casual fan who might go to one game a year but there are ways to still make it enjoyable

Tell them to park in Comstock and take a shuttle. I can’t imagine it being any easier than that.

Cemetery is a huge waste of prime parking spaces as well we could have SEC level tailgates if some tombstones were removed and folks could park there and let rip.

Cemetery is a huge waste of prime parking spaces as well we could have SEC level tailgates if some tombstones were removed and folks could park there and let rip.
horror 1980s GIF

I have been to the food trucks.. I always see a line. Where do you think all the people on the quad are eating? to me the issue is just the lack of places to actually eat.. When the tent had tables and food a couple yrs ago it was jammed.. they took away the food but people are hanging to watch the other games.. not so easy to do for noon games.

to me if they want people on the quad they need tables . I dont stop now because I dont want to try to eat and drink something standing up..

Bold new sales pitch: we’ll give you a plot for 50% off if you let us use the spot for tailgates.
Corpses with headstones in the ground that don’t stick up get placed by the Dome and gravesites with ones that can’t be driven over are relocated to the other side of the cemetery. Everyone is happy right?

Ask the families of the deceased.
How olds the cemetery? There might be people buried there who’s great grandchildren are passed away or if alive over 90 years old.

Corpses with headstones in the ground that don’t stick up get placed by the Dome and gravesites with ones that can’t be driven over are relocated to the other side of the cemetery. Everyone is happy right?
Moving corpses is not gonna happen

Completely right.

I enjoy the games for what they are. I'm a psycho (unlike literally every one of my friends from SU) and come to this site for a bit more nuanced observation of the real stories. None of them do or care to. And I don't care one bit. I don't care if any fans care. The university is invested in football. That's all I need. We get subsidized checks from the ACC to keep this afloat for now. Life is good.

I do think the apathy stems from the fact that there is a 1-2% chance of SU ever sniffing a national title again. With no national title aspirations (or even Orange bowl BCS level games) within the grasp people really don't care. Again, I don't care that they don't care. I don't even really care. I just like watching the games for what they are. Ultimately they get bowl eligible that's a good thing for the program. I don't get jazzed up for a bowl game that no one plays in anymore. I just know the team itself sees it as a fun week of gift bags and media and social media buzz (which is what they all want anyway).

Completely right.

I enjoy the games for what they are. I'm a psycho (unlike literally every one of my friends from SU) and come to this site for a bit more nuanced observation of the real stories. None of them do or care to. And I don't care one bit. I don't care if any fans care. The university is invested in football. That's all I need. We get subsidized checks from the ACC to keep this afloat for now. Life is good.

I do think the apathy stems from the fact that there is a 1-2% chance of SU ever sniffing a national title again. With no national title aspirations (or even Orange bowl BCS level games) within the grasp people really don't care. Again, I don't care that they don't care. I don't even really care. I just like watching the games for what they are. Ultimately they get bowl eligible that's a good thing for the program. I don't get jazzed up for a bowl game that no one plays in anymore. I just know the team itself sees it as a fun week of gift bags and media and social media buzz (which is what they all want anyway).
Call me crazy but as a diehard cuse fan I truly believe that we have a at least a 20percent chance to make a nat champ game!!!! Just win every game!!! LFGO!!!

How olds the cemetery? There might be people buried there who’s great grandchildren are passed away or if alive over 90 years old.
Obviously you need this spelled out for you. We don't need to disrespect the dead for your partying, doesn't matter how old the cemetery is. Good news though, I'm going to be cremated so I won't interrupt your partying in the future.

Last edited:
Bizarre and morbid.

Oakwood Cemetery was founded in 1869 and is still active. And it’s extremely hard to move a cemetery in NYS, and effectively impossible to relocate for private use of the land if it’s not a 3rd Class (abandoned) cemetery.

Trinity Church in Manhattan has a cemetery which is considered the most expensive undeveloped land in the country if not the world. It was added to the National Historic Landmark registry in 1976, which prevents any development. If even a whisper started that Oakwood might be moved, I’d expect a movement to designate it a NHL would immediately start - and would have a high probability of success.

Honestly I question how much exposure to actual living and breathing human beings a person has that would suggest moving a cemetery, considering how much negative blowback making that suggestion publicly would entail.

Call me apathetic but I was over this loss about 5 min after it ended. That never used to be the case.