Army Gameday... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Army Gameday...

What I'm saying is the optics could reflect some tension and or confusion behind the scenes. It does not project confidence and I can see a scenario in which it's negatively impactful on the players.

What worked for the women's team may not necessarily work for the men's team. The games are different, the rules are different, the ways in which you communicate with the players are different. Being quiet and hands off with the women clearly worked for him but there is a possibility that these young men require more energy and/or interaction to feel like they are bought in. You look at a guy like Dano who does not coordinate either side of the ball and isn't drawing up plays himself but when the camera cuts to him he always looks engaged. He's talking to his assistants, he's leading a team huddle, he's doing something to signal that this is his team and he has a handle on it. To be clear I am NOT saying to fire Gait or anything ridiculous like that but I also think it's fair to be concerned about the dynamic we're seeing on the sideline because it may be representative of a deeper issue.
I hear you. Today certainly sucked. It is a crazy dynamic taking a womens head coach right over to the mens game (a major shift, even with his success as a player) and an aging veteran legend head coach and put him as an assistant for the first time (another massive shift). It’s the type of thing that will take time to build, put that on top of essentially having the same personnel out there that the previous coach got fired while playing with…yeah it’s gonna take time. That’s why it feels to early to speculate on things being fundamentally broken off the field etc.

Yup, everyone needs to lower expectations for next next year. It’s going to be a few years before this program makes the tourney.
As has been said before, does not hurt that next class is the top rated in the nation, even if they are Deskos guys. I’m excited for the team two years down the line when they get settled in.

I said this in the thread we’re playing 3 on 6 most games, our offense comes from Dordy, Seebold, and Curry, offenses don’t need to be overly worried about BERK, cook, Quinn, Ferris, buttermore, Corsi, Cordes they haven’t proven themselves and most of them are all gun shy they don’t shot and they don’t play to shoot it seems.

I said this in the thread we’re playing 3 on 6 most games, our offense comes from Dordy, Seebold, and Curry, offenses don’t need to be overly worried about BERK, cook, Quinn, Ferris, buttermore, Corsi, Cordes they haven’t proven themselves and most of them are all gun shy they don’t shot and they don’t play to shoot it seems.
I’m hoping todays result was a kick in the butt to experiment a bit.

Quinn has to be accounted for , he was having a excellent season. Took only four shots but all on goal . Cuse has plenty of kids who can rip, Quinn, Birtwhistle ,Cordes, Buttermore and obviously Dordevic and Curry but offense looked like it never saw a zone d. Agaisnt zone need it to contract, miss the orchestrator Hiltz

Rebuilding has to be the word. The passing was again was sloppy, sloppy and well sloppy. Faceoffs were good but wing play wasn't. Man-up offense not so good. I think Gait said it best in his interview, the players need to execute. They showed some promise but get impatient, still not the ball movement required to take them to the next level.

I read in this thread that some are disappointed with Gait. Yes, he is low key and doesn't seem to coach from the sideline. Gee, neither did John Wooden. Anyway, I'm not expecting miracles, rebuilding our program is going take some time. Let's be patient.

No, he is a good goalie but first game where he didnt make saves that could have been made. He wasn't seeing ball and that passing error was slop. No problem with Gait's hook, he has two good goalies, rather have that then watch a goalie give up 11 consecutive shots. Position in good hands for a couple of years with Gavin and Thompson
Gavin and Thompson can man the cage for this season until Mr. McCool starts next year :cool:

What was up with that last man up sequence? That was as bad as it gets. It didn’t appear we had any sense of what we wanted to do. Passed the ball around a little, holding it too much and then throw some bunk pass to a crease cutter who’s covered. What was going on there? It was a little head scratching. A high school wheel would’ve been better than what they did.

Man-up, we’re 2-10 on the season.

Wow,
13-17 vs a tough army squad and the sky is falling?

Yes we have work to do and yet I read post after post slamming the best lacrosse player ever to play the game and he’s one of us.

Plus since when have we attacked our own players as much as I’ve seen on this thread?

Plus we are early in the season and many here have given up.

We are better than this, I hope!

I really want Gait to do well. Wildhack is just not a good athletics director in my opinion. We leaned about the hire before Desko had even announced his retirement.

Was anyone else considered? What was the process walking down the hall at manley and asking Gary if he was interested. We have one of the most storied lacrosse programs of all time. Best attendance and facilities for lacrosse in the country. Think some proven coaches might have been interested. the job was never open.

Not saying after all that we should have passed on Gait. But where was the search. It felt messed up from the start. Couldn’t we have interviewed some other candidates.

Petro was fired from Hopkins for a reason, his defenses sucked… so we bring him in To run ours. i always liked beating his overrated Hop teams because of his moronic sideline antics. Now I have to support it. Makes me sick. Just seeing him with an Orange hat on feels wrong,

thanks for listening again. I do this kind of ranting thing at every game thread. Miss the old days of domination and hope the horses are on the way will make up for the current state of the program.

I hear you. Today certainly sucked. It is a crazy dynamic taking a womens head coach right over to the mens game (a major shift, even with his success as a player) and an aging veteran legend head coach and put him as an assistant for the first time (another massive shift). It’s the type of thing that will take time to build, put that on top of essentially having the same personnel out there that the previous coach got fired while playing with…yeah it’s gonna take time. That’s why it feels to early to speculate on things being fundamentally broken off the field etc.
petro was an assistant at 4 schools if you count hopkins twice. and if aging is the moniker for him, it applies to gary as well.

What was up with that last man up sequence? That was as bad as it gets. It didn’t appear we had any sense of what we wanted to do. Passed the ball around a little, holding it too much and then throw some bunk pass to a crease cutter who’s covered. What was going on there? It was a little head scratching. A high school wheel would’ve been better than what they did.

Man-up, we’re 2-10 on the season.
most everybody does the same thing nowadays. no plays, just bad sets. it's maddening. uva's manup has been garbage for years. if they didn't have talent, they'd never score.

03B017D5-16C9-43D8-AE8C-C9B56367E819.jpeg

most everybody does the same thing nowadays. no plays, just bad sets. it's maddening. uva's manup has been garbage for years. if they didn't have talent, they'd never score.

Yeah I don’t know about that. Maybe army’s defense threw syracuse off because they run 3 high and 2 close. They cover the crease guy with one of the two close defenders on a string. It’s a defense that we should have exploited but we didn’t. Our crease guy is open several times and we don’t even look at him, which further confounds me on what exactly we we’re looking for out of this man up.

After watching it a few times now I can see what our rotation is and what we’re trying to do. It’s weak sauce. Not a fan. We should have scored vs that man down alignment.

Last edited:
Wow,
13-17 vs a tough army squad and the sky is falling?

Yes we have work to do and yet I read post after post slamming the best lacrosse player ever to play the game and he’s one of us.

Plus since when have we attacked our own players as much as I’ve seen on this thread?

Plus we are early in the season and many here have given up.

We are better than this, I hope!
Welcome to SyracueFan.com! We hope you enjoy your stay!

Well said. 4 games in with a lot of time to turn it around. Love how delusional a lot of these guys calling for the grad guys to be sat. If that was the case, they would complain about us losing by 10 plus every game. Enough with that bs from these guys. About 4-5 of these grad kids could of enter ted the portal and had their choice at which school they wanted to go to..and would of started at. So yeah, take those kids out of the game and see what happens. You have to be really stupid to think that way. These kids came back to build something not only this year but for years to come. The talent is there. They have now been in games in the third quarter with 3 top 15 teams. Calm your horses and stop attacking these guys. Or just don’t watch

petro was an assistant at 4 schools if you count hopkins twice. and if aging is the moniker for him, it applies to gary as well.
And that was before he was head coach at hopkins for the last 20 years. Gary getting up there too, but he is far from set in his ways as a mens college lax coach, a position he has never held before (only mens coaching is brief NLL and MLL stints). Petro on the other hand I trust less to experiment or fundamentally change his approach. One coach is on a learning curve and one very much is not. That's why age potentially matters more with petro.

Well said. 4 games in with a lot of time to turn it around. Love how delusional a lot of these guys calling for the grad guys to be sat. If that was the case, they would complain about us losing by 10 plus every game. Enough with that bs from these guys. About 4-5 of these grad kids could of enter ted the portal and had their choice at which school they wanted to go to..and would of started at. So yeah, take those kids out of the game and see what happens. You have to be really stupid to think that way. These kids came back to build something not only this year but for years to come. The talent is there. They have now been in games in the third quarter with 3 top 15 teams. Calm your horses and stop attacking these guys. Or just don’t watch
Might recall me thinking a 1-3 start was likely given first four opponents so it's not a shocker . Use of current depth is only as helpful as talent of current depth and therein lies one current problem. Execution can affected by tiredness . Thought some offensive players were slowing in 4q after fast starts but can't take best off in 4q, maybe need to give them a few minutes off in 2nd and 3rd to help keep fresh. Facing Army on short rest didnt help and neither will facing a solid Hobart on three days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom