As the Stanford starter comes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

As the Stanford starter comes

You got a free education at a big college institution that most kids your age can't afford or takes them a lifetime to pay off, that was a form of getting paid. In the NFL when we are 3-8 the games you will be playing in are "meaningless exhibitions" because we won't be going to the playoffs those years. So really not sure what makes you "tick" and I can't risk my job or my head coaches job on you because you seem to have no rhyme or reason on when you "want" to play.

Then I would say BYE FELICIA and throw his butt out the door.
There isn't a G.M. in pro football that will think that way. They understand the business decision that these kids are making. If a G.M. did make that decision, he would only be hurting his team and himself by taking a kid off the board that could help his team. His competition sure won't be.

This is a business decision for the kid. End of story. You, me and the school will do nothing for the kid if he gets hurt and can't play at the next level. We are talking about life changing money. I won't second guess any kid that looks out for their future.

Yep all the people hammering these kids for sitting out a bowl game I ask you: are you setting up a Go Fund Me page for Jake Butt right now? Writing him a check? Yeah didn't think so

There isn't a G.M. in pro football that will think that way. They understand the business decision that these kids are making. If a G.M. did make that decision, he would only be hurting his team and himself by taking a kid off the board that could help his team. His competition sure won't be.

You want to bet?

GM's take kids off the boards for lesser reasons than that. Like what work their mom or dad did for a living. For their grades. For being late to team meetings. The list could go on and on. You have no idea why teams and GM's take kid's off their boards or have them buried on their draft boards.

Yep all the people hammering these kids for sitting out a bowl game I ask you: are you setting up a Go Fund Me page for Jake Butt right now? Writing him a check? Yeah didn't think so

Heck no. It's a rough sport and a rough profession. Them be the breaks. I would rather have Jake Butt coming off an injury knowing he gives it his all to win a game and was there for his teammates than some kid who is afraid to play in a bowl game. That kid is already showing he will make financial decisions about himself and put his team 2nd. I don't want that type of character in my locker-room.

Heck no. It's a rough sport and a rough profession. Them be the breaks. I would rather have Jake Butt coming off an injury knowing he gives it his all to win a game and was there for his teammates than some kid who is afraid to play in a bowl game. That kid is already showing he will make financial decisions about himself and put his team 2nd. I don't want that type of character in my locker-room.

The coaches and front office people think that way about themselves why should the kid be judged harshly for thinking the same way?

The coaches and front office people think that way about themselves why should the kid be judged harshly for thinking the same way?

Because its a job interview. The people holding the interview already have a job and are established in their field. The person trying to get the job has something to prove. It's that way in any walk of life. They aren't equals!

Because its a job interview. The people holding the interview already have a job and are established in their field. The person trying to get the job has something to prove. It's that way in any walk of life. They aren't equals!

Yes they aren't equals. Players on average have a 3 year career span. The suits have much longer. More of a reason for kids to protect themselves. And this is Sports not the real world

I think this talking point is being pushed by the networks because the allure of these games goes down a notch when the superstars aren't playing in them.

Personally, I don't care. It's their lives. Everything is risk/reward.

Yes they aren't equals. Players on average have a 3 year career span. The suits have much longer. More of a reason for kids to protect themselves. And this is Sports not the real world

These players can do what they want, but don't be crying on draft day when they go slip sliding on the board. And your right it is sports, where every player is very easily replaceable.

These players can do what they want, but don't be crying on draft day when they go slip sliding on the board. And your right it is sports, where every player is very easily replaceable.

They are going to slip slide because they sit out a bowl game? Please. If the NFL wasn't getting so much heat for the way they handle domestic violence cases, the Browns would take Joe Mixon number 1 overall if it made sense and thought it would win them games.

Every player easily replaceable? Explain, then, their exhorbitant salaries. Also, dont see too many fat kids playing RB, QB, etc.

No one is gonna cry, either. Its a business. Sht happens. It is the way of the world.

You want to bet?

GM's take kids off the boards for lesser reasons than that. Like what work their mom or dad did for a living. For their grades. For being late to team meetings. The list could go on and on. You have no idea why teams and GM's take kid's off their boards or have them buried on their draft boards.
If we could have a bet on it, I would. No G.M. is going to move a kid off their board for making a business decision they themselves would make. This isn't about their mom or dad. Or about any mistake they may have made in their past. This is insuring that they will be healthy to play in the league. This weekend, playoff teams will rest some of their players so they don't et hurt. G.M.'s will see no difference

Every player easily replaceable? Explain, then, their exhorbitant salaries. Also, dont see too many fat kids playing RB, QB, etc.

No one is gonna cry, either. Its a business. Sht happens. It is the way of the world.
I guess NFL playoff teams won't rest any players this week in meaningless games.

The guys who misssed their bowl games will both be 1st round guys. It's not going to hurt them at all.

The guys who misssed their bowl games will both be 1st round guys. It's not going to hurt them at all.

With the rookie wage scale even if it costs them to slip a few spots that's a lot of money these days.

They both come off looking really soft and like wimps.

I don't think this is true, at all. Talent will trump any of these minor concerns.

ha ha, we see guys drop in the draft every year for lesser things than this

If I'm the school I pull their scholarships. They can go live off campus somewhere else, pay their own rent, buy their own food and train at the Y.

I wouldn't give them access to any of the school facilities, trainers or weight rooms or scout workouts.

By opting out of the game, you in my opinion, have quit the team. You don't get to stay on scholarship and use the facilities.

With the rookie wage scale even if it costs them to slip a few spots that's a lot of money these days.

They both come off looking really soft and like wimps.
Michigan TE Jake Butt will likely slip out of the 1st round after tearing his ACL in the meaningless (except to the fans, of course) Orange Bowl.

But hey, at least he's no wimp!!

Michigan TE Jake Butt will likely slip out of the 1st round after tearing his ACL in the meaningless (except to the fans, of course) Orange Bowl.

But hey, at least he's no wimp!!

Therein lies the problem. Is the Orange Bowl truly meaningless in a non playoff year?

If enough people believe that, the bowl system will fail. And that will be a sad day.

Louisville - LSU in the Citrus Bowl and there wasn't a human in the upper deck. That game was a consistent New Year's Day sellout.

Interesting for sure...lots of these guys have insurance policies. I believe McCaffery did. I know Jaylon Smith (ND player who shredded his knee) did too, but got 900k or something instead of potential millions.

If I'm the school I pull their scholarships. They can go live off campus somewhere else, pay their own rent, buy their own food and train at the Y.

I wouldn't give them access to any of the school facilities, trainers or weight rooms or scout workouts.

By opting out of the game, you in my opinion, have quit the team. You don't get to stay on scholarship and use the facilities.
Once a kid declares for the draft, the schollie is gone (at the end of the semester).

Not give them access to facilities? That's not a problem, but you can forget about ANYONE signing with the program. Best you'll get to sign on NLI day are scrubs from the D3 program down the road.

Therein lies the problem. Is the Orange Bowl truly meaningless in a non playoff year?

If enough people believe that, the bowl system will fail. And that will be a sad day.

Louisville - LSU in the Citrus Bowl and there wasn't a human in the upper deck. That game was a consistent New Year's Day sellout.

Prior to the new format? No. Now? Maybe not meaningless, but it certainly has less "cachet".

Makes me wonder what agents are telling these kids prompting this. The NBA via agents have had quite an effect on the college basketball game. The top players now sit out draft camps too. Can sitting out the NCAA's be far behind? If the NBA and NFL reward kids for doing this more will do it. If the pros clamp down on it, the kids won't do it. If they don't care , the kids won't either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom