Assist to field goal ratio decline (Poor passing team) | Syracusefan.com

Assist to field goal ratio decline (Poor passing team)

CU44SE

All Conference
Just saw this article posted on twitter, and Im not so much paying attention to what he had to say about this upcoming years team but its staggering how much our passing has dropped off the past few years. Cant say it hasn't been noticeable, a lot of people including me have wondered why the offense has gone to so much isolation. I think you can attribute this to our poor offensive outputs that last 2 years as a main reason. Their is no ball movement and we are relying on one person to create, to much standing around.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/99512/best-passing-teams-in-2014-15

Syracuse
: In the past five seasons, the Orange's assists-to-field goals ratio has intermittently declined. In 2009-10, Syracuse baskets were the result of an assist nearly 65 percent of the time, one of the top figures in the country. A year later, that number was 60.5 percent. From there, it went to 56.1 (in 2011-12) to 55.8 (in 2012-13) to 49.1 (in 2013-14). Now the Orange are losing Tyler Ennis, the freshman point guard who accounted for a huge portion of their assists last season. It stands to reason that in 2014-15, Syracuse won't be a particularly productive passing team.

I also have noticed consistently the past few years that when a guy like CJ gets doubled or whenever a secondary defender comes to help on a drive that an extra pass is rarely made. That's when we get into all of these charge/block predicaments. Not much passing/cutting going on when a player is getting help sent his way. It's clearly been a problem in recent years with this scoring and off. efficiency plummet.

Last edited:
After watching Time Warner replay the 1996 regional final last night, I was struck by some differences between that team and the last two.

Among them: better passers (outlets, interior passing, any kind of passing) and better all-around players.

The past two seasons have featured some guys who have been limited; passing was not a strong suit for many. Additionally, the past two NBA-bound point guards haven't been particularly adept at setting up their teammates in position to score; further, both of them seemed to struggle at the "second assist," that is, making the pass that sets up the pass that leads to a score. (This, of course, could have as much to do with the receiver as it does with the passer.)

We've had spurts of success in the last two seasons, but the drop-off overall quality of play is startling. This is going to be a very important season for the program, I think.

Last edited:
Also worth mentioning that a drop in assist to field goal % can be a sign of a team better at isolation play. Not sure what the correlation between this stat is to overall offensive efficiency.

Starting at 65% or 60%, obviously the percentage is likely to decline. Add in the lack of a second guard with any PG skills and boom, bad passing team.

Not surprising and not indicative of a poor offensive team.

Unless the guy playing shooting guard learns how to pass, it will be bad again this year.

Starting at 65% or 60%, obviously the percentage is likely to decline. Add in the lack of a second guard with any PG skills and boom, bad passing team.

Not surprising and not indicative of a poor offensive team.
Plus players that at times couldn't put the ball in a basket as big as the ocean.

Just saw this article posted on twitter, and Im not so much paying attention to what he had to say about this upcoming years team but its staggering how much our passing has dropped off the past few years. Cant say it hasn't been noticeable, a lot of people including me have wondered why the offense has gone to so much isolation. I think you can attribute this to our poor offensive outputs that last 2 years as a main reason. Their is no ball movement and we are relying on one person to create, to much standing around.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/99512/best-passing-teams-in-2014-15

Syracuse
: In the past five seasons, the Orange's assists-to-field goals ratio has intermittently declined. In 2009-10, Syracuse baskets were the result of an assist nearly 65 percent of the time, one of the top figures in the country. A year later, that number was 60.5 percent. From there, it went to 56.1 (in 2011-12) to 55.8 (in 2012-13) to 49.1 (in 2013-14). Now the Orange are losing Tyler Ennis, the freshman point guard who accounted for a huge portion of their assists last season. It stands to reason that in 2014-15, Syracuse won't be a particularly productive passing team.
imo the last 2 plays we ran against Dayton is waayy too indicative of what type of offense SU had run ever since after the 2010 season, even saw signs of it in the Butler loss (and that team could shoot). to me its pretty obvious, JB at crunch time is most comfortable putting the balls in the hands of the player he trusts the most and if it "sticks" there (to use a Popovich term) he is fine w that. i v much like JB but to me anyone who doesnt recognize that he has evolved into a mostly defensive minded coach is missing the boat. his formula has been pretty successful the last several yrs! now lets see if he can get over the hump one more time and win title no 2!!

SoBeCuse is correct, CJ was the main offender. He almost never kicked the ball out. Remember that we were TERRIBLE against zone 2 years ago with CJ manning the free throw line. This year Grant played at the free throw line against zone and we were much better.

Syracuse
and yes i agree w you on too much iso, its too pervasive in basketball because of superstars like kobe and durant and nowitski and our v own Carmelo, which makes this yrs Spurs title that much more refreshing. to me passing is not as much a talent as a state of mind. As Pop says "THE BALL DOESNT STICK"

and people can say all they want that we are not a v good shooting team, it may v well be true. but common sense tells you if the defense knows the guy in iso is going to shoot, you can bet it will be a contested shot. keep moving the ball you get a wide open shot. which one do you think the average player hits a higher percentage? wide open or contested?

Cooney hater.

LOL ... I was thinking the same thing, but for his poor shooting percentage in the second part of the season, and not because he didn't pass it. The PG, or for that matter SG, PF, SF, C, can pass all they want - the players have to hit their shots. Also, it would be nice to have centers that can post up, bring the defense in and pass the ball out to an open shooter. Just saying.

Cooney always seemed to hesitate with the ball after catching it if he didn't have a shot - he needs to be quicker to react to get the ball to an open player. However, I have to say that I always hoped (and prayed, dear god I prayed last season) that he would knock down those threes!!!!

Looking for good things from Roberson and BJ this year (and silently Patterson).

Cooney hater.
No actually just the fact that he has the ability to put the ball on the floor, and penetrate, but doesn't. After the 1st NCAA win JB called him out, on being one dimensional, and said he needed to step up. The success of this years team depends in large part, on Trevor becoming a passer, as well as penetrating with a pull up, or pass.

The assist/bucket ratio has changed with the lack of transition buckets. The lack of transition led to a more isolation style of play. Our squads have notoriously been built on length and athleticism which works wonders when you defense creates a lot of transition type opportunities.

No actually just the fact that he has the ability to put the ball on the floor, and penetrate, but doesn't. After the 1st NCAA win JB called him out, on being one dimensional, and said he needed to step up. The success of this years team depends in large part, on Trevor becoming a passer, as well as penetrating with a pull up, or pass.
It was a joke.

It helps to make shots, too. The passes may have been there but the shooter has to assist the passer in getting his assists.

It helps to make shots, too. The passes may have been there but the shooter has to assist the passer in getting his assists.
Moreover, the assist is a flawed statistic, and not simply because of the inherent subjectivity of how they are awarded by the official scorer.

When a pass leads directly to a foul resulting in free throws, why isn't the passer credited with half an assist for each made free throw? When a pass leads directly to a made 3-pointer, why isn't the passer credited with 1.5 assists? And quite often the "true" assist is the pass that leads to the pass that is ultimately recognized as an assist.

Very true but one pass and a shot or just looping the ball around the perimeter is not good offense. Not good enough to beat the better defensive teams. Heck, not good enough to beat Dayton. The last few years have been brutal to watch offensively and it isn't just related to shooting, imo.

Moreover, the assist is a flawed statistic, and not simply because of the inherent subjectivity of how they are awarded by the official scorer.

When a pass leads directly to a foul resulting in free throws, why isn't the passer credited with half an assist for each made free throw? When a pass leads directly to a made 3-pointer, why isn't the passer credited with 1.5 assists? And quite often the "true" assist is the pass that leads to the pass that is ultimately recognized as an assist.

Just credit the passer with the points scored as a result of his pass. Credit the shooter with actually scoring the points, just have a "passing points" stat. (It would mess up my "net points", though)

Very true but one pass and a shot or just looping the ball around the perimeter is not good offense. Not good enough to beat the better defensive teams. Heck, not good enough to beat Dayton. The last few years have been brutal to watch offensively and it isn't just related to shooting, imo.

Actually, my historical stats suggest that the higher the assist ratio, the lower the winning percentage. Most assist are horizontal passes to jump shooters, not vertical passes to players next to or closer to the basket. The more you relay on jump shots, the worse your winning percentage. It's our lack of an inside scoring threat that's hurt us in recent years, (since Rick Jackson left).

Syracuse
i posted about this a lot last year. I think last years team was all finishers, no creators (save Ennis). All pretty good players, but not ideal from a team construction standpoint. Not sure if I would say that generally we are playing much differently than in the past, cept we have run less recently which also lends itself to more iso/less assists

Actually, my historical stats suggest that the higher the assist ratio, the lower the winning percentage. Most assist are horizontal passes to jump shooters, not vertical passes to players next to or closer to the basket. The more you relay on jump shots, the worse your winning percentage. It's our lack of an inside scoring threat that's hurt us in recent years, (since Rick Jackson left).

No question about that re: inside scoring since Rick.

Last year we were ISO to a tee. Our offense was like an NBA team last year. Give to Ennis dribble the ball to death or pass it to Cooney, Fair, Grant and they did their own thing. We didn't give the ball to Rak in the post enough. We need ball movement and players who dribble the ball and create things instead of NBA ISO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom