Asst coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Asst coach

Jimmy Boeheim has to be in consideration, at some point, as a Graduate Assistant type hire. I thought there was some whispers he wants to get into coaching

Current staff is guard-centric, I'd like to see someone the bigs can identify with. As others have mentioned, this person should also bring something fresh to the table on the defensive side.

We don’t need a hs coach. We need someone with major recruiting connections.

This.
We have a rookie head coach. We don’t need a rookie assistant as well. We need an ace recruiter. I don’t know if they’re available, but how about:

Van Macon
Slice Rohrssen
Matt Abdelmassih
Scott Spinelli
Grant Billmeier

Are his deficiencies covered though? He has one title out of what seems like 20 number one recruiting classes. And he only has that one because of Anthony Davis. He returned the national player of the year as well as a great recruiting class plus portal players and still has underwhelmed this season.

I absolutely do not want an NBA factory for a team. I want Virginia/Villanova type teams. Good strong loyal players who stick around. Good fundamental offense and defense. Build up a strong foundation of players and build off that.

I would take a team of 3 star seniors over a team of 5 star freshman any day of the week.
I will take the best talent available and you really should never shoot for lower. Villanova and Virginia's champ teams were not lacking in talent. Nearly all of their major minute getters were top 100 recruits, there aren't many teams winning championships with 3 stars... Maybe you dont want a team full of 5 stars like Kentucky, but talent solves a lot of issues. Syracuse has fielded teams of 3/4 stars and have struggled mightily, how different would the last few years be with a Malachi/Fab type talent on the floor?

So if I understand correctly Red will need to hire 3 more coaches but only 1 can go out recruiting.

Then you hire
1- The single best recruiter you can find and afford.

1- Hire a teacher of the game. Someone who can work with the kids on a daily basis to refine their individual skills. Develope drills to help improve the fundamentals.

1- Hire either an offensive coordinator or a defensive coordinator which ever one Red and his current staff feel they would want someone to lead that side of the ball.

I love griff but need a actual big man to coach the bigs . Really think Red will do good recruiting so a Big man coach are any alum bigs that coach

I will take the best talent available and you really should never shoot for lower. Villanova and Virginia's champ teams were not lacking in talent. Nearly all of their major minute getters were top 100 recruits, there arent many teams winning championships with 3 stars...
I want the best talent available that fits our team.
Just because you are top 10-20 doesn’t mean you are going to produce.

Cal takes the best guys available no matter if they fit or not. His goal is to get as many players to the NBA as possible.

Our goal should be putting the best possible team together to win games and hopefully win titles. If that means taking a guy ranked 100 over a guy ranked 50 then so be it. We just have to be able to recognize that.

Mintz was a 4* ranked 54. He outplayed most everyone in his class this season. And he might come back. I’d rather have that over Nick Smith who was number one ranked player, played good, and going to the NBA.

Current staff is guard-centric, I'd like to see someone the bigs can identify with. As others have mentioned, this person should also bring something fresh to the table on the defensive side.
So Carmelo Anthony

I'm sure he will have no problem recruiting

I agree with the "big man" coach sentiments. IF JESSE STAYS, we need somebody who can teach MTM post principles. If Jesse leaves we have Carey and Hima and these guys need help...ALOT of help. There's a reason we have had to go to Europe lately to get "5"s and why we have fanned recruiting bigs. And another "staff" position that needs a new something something is S/C. If Cabiles can get players stronger AND better conditioned so that they can play with added intensity, that would be a significant improvement. JB would often state..."we're not a good pressing team". True cuz players wouldn't/couldn't get back on D. Need the endurance...

I contend they should get Tony McIntyre. Would potentially get the proper foothold in Toronto.

I love griff but need a actual big man to coach the bigs . Really think Red will do good recruiting so a Big man coach are any alum bigs that coach
To me if you need someone to teach big men, and doesn't need to be a recruiter, ask DC.
He knows all the in's and out's of the game. Helped Rick Jackson, and Arinze, in showing them how to seal off the defensiveman for an entry pass.

What about a guy like Dave Paulsen. He’s coached in the northeast for a long time. Coached several teams Le Moyne, Bucknell, George Mason. He is currently an assistant at Fordham.

To me if you need someone to teach big men, and doesn't need to be a recruiter, ask DC.
He knows all the in's and out's of the game. Helped Rick Jackson, and Arinze, in showing them how to seal off the defensiveman for an entry pass.

If we want that. Ewing is the most qualified.

Agreed. Let Griff coach the wings and bring in a legit big man coach.

Other than his last name, why?
Well he does have a lot of basketball knowledge. You can see it by the way he plays the game. He was never the most athletic player, he was never the best shooter. He earned his way onto a power 5 program by just his basketball knowledge. He is the type of player who could definitely be successful at coaching in the future.

Are his deficiencies covered though? He has one title out of what seems like 20 number one recruiting classes. And he only has that one because of Anthony Davis. He returned the national player of the year as well as a great recruiting class plus portal players and still has underwhelmed this season.

I absolutely do not want an NBA factory for a team. I want Virginia/Villanova type teams. Good strong loyal players who stick around. Good fundamental offense and defense. Build up a strong foundation of players and build off that.

I would take a team of 3 star seniors over a team of 5 star freshman any day of the week.
Unfortunately, unless we get lucky or scout better than everybody else paid to do the same thing, your favorite style of team will have a decent season every few years, while the reloaded five stars freshman will be in the national championship mix every single year. You like lovable losers, it sounds like.

Give me (literally Niastri the never coached a basketball game in his life) the best recruit at every position every year, and I'll look like I'm a great coach, especially if I can afford great assistants. Lol

Talent wins the games. Coaching helps, but nobody can coach a bunch of low talent nobodies to great success.

Well he does have a lot of basketball knowledge. You can see it by the way he plays the game. He was never the most athletic player, he was never the best shooter. He earned his way onto a power 5 program by just his basketball knowledge. He is the type of player who could definitely be successful at coaching in the future.

What if he has the personality of a brick?

Nepo babies everywhere.

Unfortunately, unless we get lucky or scout better than everybody else paid to do the same thing, your favorite style of team will have a decent season every few years, while the reloaded five stars freshman will be in the national championship mix every single year. You like lovable losers, it sounds like.

Give me (literally Niastri the never coached a basketball game in his life) the best recruit at every position every year, and I'll look like I'm a great coach, especially if I can afford great assistants. Lol

Talent wins the games. Coaching helps, but nobody can coach a bunch of low talent nobodies to great success.

That’s why UK fans were ready to hang Calipari this year. His teams completely underwhelm every year just about. Best recruits every year and for what. Try again next year with all new players.

Show me a bad coach who has won a national title. Coaching has a ton to do with it. It helps to get NBA ready talent but that’s not the end all be all.

Butler went to 2 championship games in a row. First year was with Gordon Hayward. Next year was with…Shelvin Mack. That was all Brad Stevens coaching them up.

There is no sure fire way to win the title. You can have your 5* try again every year way and I’ll take the 4* who play every year and develop way.

I hate Calipari and I think he is a terrible coach but his deficiencies are covered well by those 5 stars. I don't think you should ever turn down getting the next generation of NBA talent. The guys on the bench clearly can improve players skills, get a recruiter who can get the top players in and lets worry about the rest after.
I’m not really saying that this is what you’re suggesting…. But even if you’re getting NBA caliber players, who may be one and done, you still have to make sure they are guys who will play within a system and team concept, who are willing to try to make everyone around them better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom