At least we're not UConn v2022 | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

At least we're not UConn v2022

Syracuse football now has its opponents set through the 2026 season after athletic director John Wildhack told syracuse.com the 2024 nonconference slate has been finalized.

The Orange will face Ohio, Army, Holy Cross and Connecticut in 2024.

The news that UConn would be added to the schedule was revealed during an interview with Wildhack last week to discuss football scheduling matters.
Did they move the 2025 game to 2024, or was this a new addition?

Did they move the 2025 game to 2024, or was this a new addition?
“Its addition to the schedule means SU will play the Huskies four straight years starting in 2024, as the Orange already had a four-game deal set with Connecticut for 2022, 2025, 2026 and 2027.”

Looks like an addition.

“Its addition to the schedule means SU will play the Huskies four straight years starting in 2024, as the Orange already had a four-game deal set with Connecticut for 2022, 2025, 2026 and 2027.”

Looks like an addition.
Yuck. Mix it up a little.

Looks like an addition.
Yes. Looks like the game will probably be played November 16th or, more likely, November 23rd. Thinking SU might want to schedule a breather the week before the final game of the season, like schools like Florida State do each season.

UConn currently has 10 games booked for 2024. 5 are home games and 5 are away games. It could in theory be a home or an away game. Looking at their home schedule, I am sure UConn desperately fought to get this game scheduled at their stadium. It is surely the worst home schedule for any G5 team in the country.

The game was booked and the contract was signed months ago so it is not subject to the new recommendations of the ACC.

If this is not a home game for Syracuse, one has to question if the people working at SUAD have completely lost their minds. They have given our seventh home game away for 2023 and 2025 already.

The goal should be to host 7 home games every season. Every season. I understand it might be necessary to play 6 every once in a while but it should happen at most once every 3 years.

If we play UConn on the road in 2024, we will have 6 home games every season from 2023 to 2027.

I guarantee you we are the only P5 program that holds that distinction and no only P5 team is remotely close to our awful scheduling situation.

Do not schedule that UConn game in East Hartford in 2024. I implore you SUAD. We need 7 home games.

Last edited:
Yes. Looks like the game will probably be played November 16th or, more likely, November 23rd. Thinking SU might want to schedule a breather the week before the final game of the season, like schools like Florida State do each season.

UConn currently has 10 games booked for 2024. 5 are home games and 5 are away games. It could in theory be a home or an away game. Looking at their home schedule, I am sure UConn desperately fought to get this game scheduled at their stadium. It is surely the worst home schedule for any G5 team in the country.

The game was booked and the contract was signed months ago so it is not subject to the new recommendations of the ACC.

If this is not a home game for Syracuse, one has to question if the people working at SUAD have completely lost their minds. They have given our seventh home game away for 2023 and 2025 already.

The goal should be to host 7 home games every season. Every season. I understand it might be necessary to play 6 every once in a while but it should happen at most once every 3 years.

If we play UConn on the road in 2024, we will have 6 home games every season from 2023 to 2027.

I guarantee you we are the only P5 program that holds that distinction and no only P5 team is remotely close to our awful scheduling situation.

Do not schedule that UConn game in East Hartford in 2024. I implore you SUAD. We need 7 home games.

It's UConn, what's the difference? It's a W either way.

It's UConn, what's the difference? It's a W either way.
Syracuse fans should have 7 home games to look forward to each season. We should be like the rest of the P5 world.

Syracuse players should have 7 home games each season. This makes it a lot easier to win at least 6 games and go to a bowl game.

The SUAD offices should schedule to make it easier for Syracuse to have winning seasons, go to bowl games and re-establish a winning tradition. They should not be the biggest obstacle holding the program back from turning things around.

Their top priority should be getting the program to be a consistent winner. Not trying to make as much money as possible every season.

Syracuse fans should have 7 home games to look forward to each season. We should be like the rest of the P5 world.

Syracuse players should have 7 home games each season. This makes it a lot easier to win at least 6 games and go to a bowl game.

The SUAD offices should schedule to make it easier for Syracuse to have winning seasons, go to bowl games and re-establish a winning tradition. They should not be the biggest obstacle holding the program back from turning things around.

Their top priority should be getting the program to be a consistent winner. Not trying to make as much money as possible every season.

It's a possible away game at Connecticut, not Alabama. FSU is playing six home games next season.

There really could not be an easier lift to get a win for a bowl game.

It's a possible away game at Connecticut, not Alabama. FSU is playing six home games next season.

I wish this was only about the UConn game.

If this turns out to be an away game, Syracuse will only have 6 home games the next 5 seasons.

FSU does only play 6 home games this coming season. I don't have a problem with a 6 game home schedule every 3rd year or so. That is fairly normal.

Assuming FSU books the usual BCS opponent each season they have 7 in 2024 and they have 7 in 2026.

I am confident we are the only P5 program willing to only play 6 home games for a 5 year long stretch. This isn't the way to schedule for a program trying desperately to re-establish itself and go bowling every season.

I wish this was only about the UConn game.

If this turns out to be an away game, Syracuse will only have 6 home games the next 5 seasons.

FSU does only play 6 home games this coming season. I don't have a problem with a 6 game home schedule every 3rd year or so. That is fairly normal.

Assuming FSU books the usual BCS opponent each season they have 7 in 2024 and they have 7 in 2026.

I am confident we are the only P5 program willing to only play 6 home games for a 5 year long stretch. This isn't the way to schedule for a program trying desperately to re-establish itself and go bowling every season.

2025 looks brutal, but the Tennessee game has to happen.

Something tells me that we got the ACC update and told Yukon that we'd have to cancel the 2nd half of the 2-for-2 series. Make it a 2-for-1 and SU & the ACC would be OK with it. There may be a hoops series involved as well.

Well said. The SU brand is meaningless in NYC if we’re not winning and making bowl games.

Have heard peanuts from the administration on this. I’m going to reduce my season ticket spend. It’s incredibly frustrating to lose home games. If they won’t listen to feedback, all I have is my wallet.

Are you assuming Mora is no longer their coach?

If he is, there are many easier lifts.

Are you assuming Mora is no longer their coach?

If he is, there are many easier lifts.

Anyone good will portal out. We had thousands of fans there.

Not sure how much easier it can get for us.

I'm guessing Yankee Stadium in Nov 24

Not ideal but each side probably figured this as a compromise

So basically a 5 game series with the extra game in YS.

Hopefully our local media can get an answer

This is 100% spot on. Our AD Dept doesn't get it. No Power 5 schools with a clue operate this way. This falls squarely on Wildhack. He's the boss. It's a major FAIL.

I don't understand why this guy is held in such high esteem. The football team just got it's head above water but would have to be considered operating in the red. The basketball program - both men's and women's are a train wreck and the lacrosse program is also at it's lowest point in 40 years. The soccer team won an NC, that's fantastic, but it's a non-revenue sport. The 4 major programs have been trending down to historical lows and it's all under his watch.

Sorry, back to football. They MUST schedule for success. 6 home games in any season is criminal and in 2025 that type of schedule gets coaches fired. Recruits want to play for teams that win. It's vicious cycle of losing.

Last edited:
SU has made it clear that there is no interest in buying home games vs G5s. No one seems to pull off 2 for 1s anymore. So we are looking at 6 games one year and 7 the next.

I have said it before, too much UConn on the schedule. At best it should be 2 games every 6 years rotated along with Army and Temple. If UMass is willing to play their home games at Gillette, then we should play UConn 2x every 8 years.

Overexposure for a familiar team is not a good thing. IMO SU fans are more likely to go to both the home and road games against UConn if you play them less often.

SU has made it clear that there is no interest in buying home games vs G5s. No one seems to pull off 2 for 1s anymore. So we are looking at 6 games one year and 7 the next.

I have said it before, too much UConn on the schedule. At best it should be 2 games every 6 years rotated along with Army and Temple. If UMass is willing to play their home games at Gillette, then we should play UConn 2x every 8 years.

Overexposure for a familiar team is not a good thing. IMO SU fans are more likely to go to both the home and road games against UConn if you play them less often.

Like Georgetown in basketball? That seems to work fine.

Like Georgetown in basketball? That seems to work fine.

Are they the same sport? There is a big difference between 31 and 12 game schedules. Is UConn football a rival and hated? Is there any history or tradition to the SU UConn FB game? Is it a hike for most of our fans to get to the Rent? Is there anything around to do after? Are the games even competitive?

Georgetown BBall would be a closer comparison to WV football. UConn football is more like playing DePaul every year in BBall.

Are they the same sport? There is a big difference between 31 and 12 game schedules. Is UConn football a rival and hated? Is there any history or tradition to the SU UConn FB game? Is it a hike for most of our fans to get to the Rent? Is there anything around to do after? Are the games even competitive?

Georgetown BBall would be a closer comparison to WV football. UConn football is more like playing DePaul every year in BBall.

It's a game in a market against a recognizable name where we have a lot of fans. For them it's likely the one time a year they see SU in any sport.

Most of our fans on the road don't "travel" (no disrespect to Tom and Mark, etc). They just live in those markets.

It's a game in a market against a recognizable name where we have a lot of fans. For them it's likely the one time a year they see SU in any sport.

Most of our fans on the road don't "travel" (no disrespect to Tom and Mark, etc). They just live in those markets.

We have a lot of fans in the Hartford market? Even Stamford is a hike to get there. Don't we have more alumni near Philly, Foxborough, and West Point. I am not saying DO NOT play UConn. I am saying don't play them 5 times in 6 years.

So it's not UConn... but in terms of not being other programs... if not for Ohio.. it would be everyone saying at least we aren't north of...

FB_IMG_1675275496988.jpg

We have a lot of fans in the Hartford market? Even Stamford is a hike to get there. Don't we have more alumni near Philly, Foxborough, and West Point. I am not saying DO NOT play UConn. I am saying don't play them 5 times in 6 years.

Within an hour or whatever? Seems so.

FWIW I have no issues swapping out them with Temple like you said. Maybe that didn't work for whatever reason.

I'm guessing Yankee Stadium in Nov 24

Not ideal but each side probably figured this as a compromise

So basically a 5 game series with the extra game in YS.

Hopefully our local media can get an answer

Total BS

Within an hour or whatever? Seems so.

FWIW I have no issues swapping out them with Temple like you said. Maybe that didn't work for whatever reason.
That is my feeling...I have a feeling UConn was a convenient answer to a hard to fill hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom