Auburn fires Gus Malzahn / hires Bryan Harsin | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Auburn fires Gus Malzahn / hires Bryan Harsin

I understand the premise of your post, and it's certainly admirable. But here's the thing, the reason why SU keeps an iota of 'perspective' is simply because they don't have the money. It's like trying to compare the garden variety Vegas gambler playing at the $5 poker table vs. the $5000 one. Perhaps, they'd like to give it a shot if they could, but simply can't afford to do so due to the relative risk/reward factors. It's rather convenient to fall back on this 'perspective' sentiment, especially when one doesn't have the ability, means, fame, status, etc. to participate otherwise.

Interesting how your school has kept perspective on this front, but how about perspective in regards to charging students the same amount for classes/tuition without the physical classroom instruction, experiences, etc. that encompassed these charges?

My school and every other school in America is still charging the same price of admission. We are no different in that regard. That's the cost of doing business in higher learning right now. This may change but we're not in the business of discounting the main thrust of what Syracuse University is in business to do, which is educate.

I think the argument to be made is SU basketball. That is a top 10 program where we will find out shortly if we're operating like an SEC football school in regards to the success sans Jim Boeheim. I happen to think we operate more intelligently than quasi professional programs in the SEC and give guys their proper up and down years to make a qualified judgement on a change. Gus was given zero leeway and it is what it is.

Why did Auburn pay Gus Malzahn $21.7 million to walk away? Offensive woes top list

Dino should take note of this article, as I think it draws a lot of parallels between Gus and Dino when it comes to offensive philosophy and paranoia. The ACC has some of the of the best defensive minds in the country who will figure out or have figured out what we are doing. I think a lot of the early success over Top 25 teams can be attributed to Dino's offensive being "new" to the ACC and it has since been figured out.

Another line that really struck me in this piece is how Gus's offenses never worked without a QB that could scramble, much like Dungey in 2018.

I think Dino deserves one more year, but I think the offensive philosophy needs to evolve or we're going to be looking at another losing season.

sounds like, per Finebaum and other people around the Auburn circle, they are going to go with Steele unless someone impresses the hiring committee this weekend (between Napier, Sark, and Elliot)

Rumors of some stories of potential actions to undermine, combined with a good ole boys network, etc. that is going to make this an interesting story to follow if you like drama

Last edited:
Steele seems to be out now.

Going to be a wild ride to the finish line to see who gets this position.

report is he withdrew after not giving flexibility (on whom he could hire)and/or witnessing how auburn football is controlled by a small group

Why sometimes it’s good to not be booster rich

Seems like a fish out of water to me. He had a year at Arkansas State before heading home to Boise, and a couple of years on the staff at Texas. He'd better find some real good recruiters with lots of personal relationships with those HS coaches, otherwise, to complete the fish metaphor, he'll flounder.

He was pressing for Boise St to move up in the world out of the MWC. Not surprised he moved on, but we will see if this is a great fit.

Wow...can't imagine that is what the AD was expecting to happen. Fans have to be surprised as well.

Was this exactly the splash hire they expected when they dropped all that cash to make Malzahn go away?

Harsin’s born and raised in Boise, is a Boise State alum who has never coached east of the Mississippi River, and has never coached in the SEC. Closest experience to SEC football two-year stint as co-offensive coordinator at Texas. He’s a good coach, but I can’t believe he’s what Auburn was aiming for.

Auburn fans must be fired up! Yikes.

he could prove to be great but I’m not sure he will excite the fanbase

This has a "Gene Chizik" feel to it. Same kinds of circumstances and a head coaching selection out of left field. We all know how that one ended.

Good luck. Auburn is a hot mess.

I didn't follow it much but I think they took a shot with with Freeze and whiffed and then when they started calling some of these coaches at the smaller Southern schools who they they though could be bought and controlled they whiffed there too. Harsin is a good coach on the field but I just think he will get eaten alive off it. He's going to have to sacrifice great assistant coaching for sales/ bagman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom