Auburn fires Gus Malzahn / hires Bryan Harsin | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Auburn fires Gus Malzahn / hires Bryan Harsin

It’s a better hire than Greg Robinson

Firing a proven winning coach without knowing you have an upgrade lined up is always stupid

At least Harsin is sane, as compared to a lot of the "crazy" southern coach guys that Auburn has employed.

I didn't follow it much but I think they took a shot with with Freeze and whiffed and then when they started calling some of these coaches at the smaller Southern schools who they they though could be bought and controlled they whiffed there too. Harsin is a good coach on the field but I just think he will get eaten alive off it. He's going to have to sacrifice great assistant coaching for sales/ bagman

it sounds like a hot mess of a story on how this went down. Some of the following is just rumors, while others (Steele and the failed hiring of sark, Napier, Clark) are probably closer to the truth

There is a rumor that Auburn had a verbal agreement with Cristobal when they fired Malzahn, but Cristobal just used it to up his pay with Oregon.

At the same time, Kevin Steele is backed by the small good ole boys club that controls AU football (sounds like he might’ve even been part of the reason Malzahn was fired, but I won’t get into that now). As of last Friday, whether they actually whiffed on Cristobal or not, Steele was going to be announced as the head coach, but it for leaked and the Auburn fan base started to become very vocal (enough for the powers that be to listen).

Headed into last weekend, the rumor is the search was still being controlled by the good ole boys club. Not sure if Sark legitimately was considered (rumor was he asked for a high price tag), but Auburn got a big egg on their face when Napier and then Clark (coaches at smaller Southern schools) pulled out of contention. The word is both Napier and Clark pulled out because the good ole boys club wasn’t going to give them full control (I.e. they were going to dictate who they got to hire on the staff (e.g. Steele, etc)

With Napier, Clark, Sark (and both Clemson coaches out), Auburn was left scrambling. It will be interesting to see Harin’s contract and/or his staff, to see how desperate Auburn got and if they started to give over flexibility (rumor is the AD started to step in more after Clark/Napier pulled out)

there is also a lot of other rumored drama in the internal circles at Auburn. You can look that up.

it sounds like a hot mess of a story on how this went down. Some of the following is just rumors, while others (Steele and the failed hiring of sark, Napier, Clark) are probably closer to the truth

There is a rumor that Auburn had a verbal agreement with Cristobal when they fired Malzahn, but Cristobal just used it to up his pay with Oregon.

At the same time, Kevin Steele is backed by the small good ole boys club that controls AU football (sounds like he might’ve even been part of the reason Malzahn was fired, but I won’t get into that now). As of last Friday, whether they actually whiffed on Cristobal or not, Steele was going to be announced as the head coach, but it for leaked and the Auburn fan base started to become very vocal (enough for the powers that be to listen).

Headed into last weekend, the rumor is the search was still being controlled by the good ole boys club. Not sure if Sark legitimately was considered (rumor was he asked for a high price tag), but Auburn got a big egg on their face when Napier and then Clark (coaches at smaller Southern schools) pulled out of contention. The word is both Napier and Clark pulled out because the good ole boys club wasn’t going to give them full control (I.e. they were going to dictate who they got to hire on the staff (e.g. Steele, etc)

With Napier, Clark, Sark (and both Clemson coaches out), Auburn was left scrambling. It will be interesting to see Harin’s contract and/or his staff, to see how desperate Auburn got and if they started to give over flexibility (rumor is the AD started to step in more after Clark/Napier pulled out)

there is also a lot of other rumored drama in the internal circles at Auburn. You can look that up.

Yep. And they seemed to have fired the coach without letting the President/Chancellor and other University admin know.

Too much power farmed out to the richest boosters “playing”

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Auburn is a public land-grant school and, if memory serves, the same board that approves the Bama football hire also approves the Auburn football hire.

Amirite?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Auburn is a public land-grant school and, if memory serves, the same board that approves the Bama football hire also approves the Auburn football hire.

Amirite?
I believe two different Boards. And, from what I've heard, Auburn football is controlled by a small group of Auburn donors.

Do we know what his new salary is? He was “only” making 1.75 million at Boise. Maybe he figured he’d take the payday and see how he does in SEC.

Can’t imagine this is his dream job? Maybe he’s using this as a stepping stone as funny as that sounds

I wonder what his buyout is at Auburn. I think his Boise buyout was like $250k which seems crazy

Do we know what his new salary is? He was “only” making 1.75 million at Boise. Maybe he figured he’d take the payday and see how he does in SEC.

Can’t imagine this is his dream job? Maybe he’s using this as a stepping stone as funny as that sounds

I wonder what his buyout is at Auburn. I think his Boise buyout was like $250k which seems crazy

I think he can take this job and try to win. With a huge buyout and crazy people shelling out money, as long as you don’t do something awful outside of football, there will be another job waiting for you.

I think he can take this job and try to win. With a huge buyout and crazy people shelling out money, as long as you don’t do something awful outside of football, there will be another job waiting for you.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking as well no one will hold getting fired against him.
Unless he wins a national championship every other year he’s going to get fired from Auburn even winning 8/9 games a year anyhow. He can take the job and give it a shot.

I believe two different Boards. And, from what I've heard, Auburn football is controlled by a small group of Auburn donors.
That's what I've heard, too.

Also heard that when Saban was hired eons ago, he told the university that if the boosters got in his way, he'd quit and make things extremely expensive.

Amirite?
mscanlo is correct; it's two different boards WRT Bama and Auburn. There is one board that controls all of the places with "University of Alabama at ____" in its name. They tried to screw around with UA Birmingham football to eliminate any semblance of competition for UA Tuscaloosa.

Auburn has had this megadonor problem for while. There was one huge donor on their BoT not too long ago who was interfering with the president's ability to run the school. It got so bad they were put on probation by the Southern States Association accrediting entity because of it, coming this close || to losing accreditation. This time, there's another Board member who's throwing around his weight and supposedly was making a big push to fire Malzahn. One difference I've noticed about these Auburn megadonors is that they give megabucks to both the academic and athletic sides of the house, while most schools seem to have megadonors to one side or the other. At UVa, if Paul Tudor Jones gives big money to the academic side, he's pretty quiet about it.

This has a "Gene Chizik" feel to it. Same kinds of circumstances and a head coaching selection out of left field. We all know how that one ended.

Gene Chizik had a 5-19 HC record when Auburn hired him. That doesn't seem like a fair comparison to make.

Terry Bowden went 11-0. Tommy Tuberville went 13-0. Gene Chizik went 14-0 and won a national championship. Gus Malzahn went 12-2 and almost won a national championship.

All fired. :(

What if Coach P had had a year like that?

Last edited:
bobby-petrino-p1jpg.jpg

Harsin is in some hot water for apparently pulling a Bobby Petrino and fooling around with a staffer. Could get messy in the next few days for Auburn.

I thought Auburn wrote this into the contract as a benefit.

Otherwise, what's the point of coaching there?

Harsin is in some hot water for apparently pulling a Bobby Petrino and fooling around with a staffer. Could get messy in the next few days for Auburn.

I will never understand how anyone can f#$^ around with a subordinate, let alone a married guy making millions of dollars. Are you that weak, or your biologic urges THAT strong to not understand how something like that is going to end in the shttiest way possible?

The problem is the football office "hires" these Recruiting Hostesses meant to entice the recruits. And they seem to hire a certain type that then entices the coaching staff, its a vicious cycle down there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom