B1G and SEC form joint advisory committee | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

B1G and SEC form joint advisory committee

I don’t think there’s any “what if” about it. The NCAA had years to sort things out before it came to this. It’s certainly a way to determine what they collectively want to do without the governance of the NCAA. Finally, the adults decided to get in a room and sort out what the romper room couldn’t.

My point was to the poster that said it was a nothingburger.

...that actualluy it might be a big deal.

The spin on booting long term members like Candy and Northwestern wiil be fun. However I also think schools like Indiana and miss st better be on their game too. This is going to end up being legit big boys only. Commit and compete or no big checks.

Although I am first and foremost a SU fan, I have been living in Georgia Bulldog country now longer than I lived in Syracuse. I will continue to follow them and reluctantly Bama as my wife went there. I would be a liar if I said I wouldn't watch a new breakaway power league even if SU gets left out.

I love college ball far more than the NFL. I could care less about this Super Bowl match-up. I would watch a potential UGA-Ohio St game over any NFL match-up. But, I am probably in the minority there. While there would be fans who wouldn't watch a new college football power league, that league wouldn't have a problem getting eyeballs on the TV (unless it is a Rutgers-Vandy match-up).

Although I am first and foremost a SU fan, I have been living in Georgia Bulldog country now longer than I lived in Syracuse. I will continue to follow them and reluctantly Bama as my wife went there. I would be a liar if I said I wouldn't watch a new breakaway power league even if SU gets left out.

I love college ball far more than the NFL. I could care less about this Super Bowl match-up. I would watch a potential UGA-Ohio St game over any NFL match-up. But, I am probably in the minority there. While there would be fans who wouldn't watch a new college football power league, that league wouldn't have a problem getting eyeballs on the TV (unless it is a Rutgers-Vandy match-up).
Shame on you.

I’ll just golf more or find another activity but outside of SU, I won’t care.

Funny thing is the NFL/OTA model is about TV markets. The streaming market is about fanbase size. They are opposites. That is why I think you need both. Which means a 64 team league is more likely than a 32 team league IMO.

You also have to take into account other sports. Where would those 32 teams play? The left behinds won't want those schools in their leagues. And 32 isn't enough for a BBall league or other sports. But 64 you could.

Additionally they need to take into account that competition doesn't go away with a Super League. I am still going to and watching SU games even if we are stuck as FBS. I will watch the Super League playoffs but I won't care about their regular season. There is no connection. Plus most of those teams are confined to a region not near me.

At best maybe you could have a Super League if you include promotion relegation. So a B18 division in the Super League and a B18 division in FBS. Something like the top 8 B18, 8 SEC, 4 ACC, 4 B12, 5 G5 champs, and extra spot to the Super League Champ. But none of this fixes the NIL or transfer rule problems. It just makes more money.

I think the best thing for the sport would be for both the B18 and SEC to go to 30 with 6 divisions of 5 schools. That keeps things regional and keeps traditions.

B18 Divisions
Old Eastern Indy
Old ACC
Old Big 10 Eastern schools
Old Big 10 Western schools
Old Big 8
Old PAC

SEC Divisions
Old Metro
Old ACC
Old SEC Eastern schools
Old SEC Western schools
Old SWC
Old Big 8
I know this is "your thing", but you're wasting your time. You're looking at this totally in the wrong way. This is not going to be inclusive, it's going to be exclusive as they jettison teams starting with Vanderbilt and Northwestern and working on from there. They will make the cost of participating so high and so onerous that schools will opt out and they will gladly release them without any obligation just to be finally rid of them.

Last edited:
This should be fun.
Death No GIF

First order of business, why are Rutgers and Maryland here.
Actually the second order. The first is getting rid of Northwestern in the B1G and Vanderbilt in the SEC.

I don’t think there’s any “what if” about it. The NCAA had years to sort things out before it came to this. It’s certainly a way to determine what they collectively want to do without the governance of the NCAA. Finally, the adults decided to get in a room and sort out what the romper room couldn’t.
The NCAA couldn't "sort things out" because it wasn't allowed to. The member schools didn't want it involved with conference realignment and it moved on from there as a starting point.

The NCAA couldn't "sort things out" because it wasn't allowed to. The member schools didn't want it involved with conference realignment and it moved on from there as a starting point.
They shouldn’t have any jurisdiction over conference alignment. However they took that cue to sit by as a patsy. They could have instead explored, analyzed and proposed solutions for the overall good of the member institutions. But they didn’t.

This is getting absurdly hilarious. It’s starting to feel a lot like my fraternity. Pledge - get me a beer!

They shouldn’t have any jurisdiction over conference alignment. However they took that cue to sit by as a patsy. They could have instead explored, analyzed and proposed solutions for the overall good of the member institutions. But they didn’t.
It may be that they're not even allowed to do that unless it's requested by the membership/the governing committee of the schools. (There's some sort of major governing committee composed of rotating school presidents that gives guidance to the NCAA staff in Indianapolis.)

I know this is "your thing", but you're wasting your time. You're looking at this totally in the wrong way. This is not going to be inclusive, it's going to be exclusive as they jettison teams starting with Vanderbilt and Northwestern and working on from there. They will make the cost of participating so high that schools will opt out and they will gladly release them without any obligation just to be finally rid of them.

If that is the case people will stop watching. Not saying a Super League will not happen. I am saying it is a mistake to think it would have wide appeal. If you want what is best for the sport you need to be inclusive. You also would be ruining the other sports.

Fans of non Super League teams and casual fans are not paying for a Peacock subscription to watch Wisconsin play Florida. They aren't going to renounce their current fandom and adopt a school as their new team to follow. Which means this Super League will have competition for viewers. People do not watch College Football because of the quality of play. They watch it because of their affiliation with their alma mater and/or home state team.

On top of that schools in the Super League will lose support. Look at FSU's attendance the prior few years, and they weren't even that bad. If a schools is projected to be 4-8 do you think those fans will show up to games? Or pay for a Paramount Plus subscription for a year? These are schools that think 10-2 is a down season. You need ditch diggers to keep overall interest. parity is a bad thing for the sport, it isn't the NFL.

Again I am NOT arguing we aren't heading this way. I am saying it is a giant mistake for the sport. It would be better to have 2 x 30.

If that is the case people will stop watching. Not saying a Super League will not happen. I am saying it is a mistake to think it would have wide appeal. If you want what is best for the sport you need to be inclusive. You also would be ruining the other sports.

Fans of non Super League teams and casual fans are not paying for a Peacock subscription to watch Wisconsin play Florida. They aren't going to renounce their current fandom and adopt a school as their new team to follow. Which means this Super League will have competition for viewers. People do not watch College Football because of the quality of play. They watch it because of their affiliation with their alma mater and/or home state team.

On top of that schools in the Super League will lose support. Look at FSU's attendance the prior few years, and they weren't even that bad. If a schools is projected to be 4-8 do you think those fans will show up to games? Or pay for a Paramount Plus subscription for a year? These are schools that think 10-2 is a down season. You need ditch diggers to keep overall interest. parity is a bad thing for the sport, it isn't the NFL.

Again I am NOT arguing we aren't heading this way. I am saying it is a giant mistake for the sport. It would be better to have 2 x 30.
I also think it's a huge mistake to do this, but that's irrelevant and not going to stop them. I think they believe the hardcore fans of the remaining teams will be enough. How many people outside those states would tune in to watch Wisconsin-Florida if "their school" which is not part of the amalgamation is playing at the same time? I know I won't, and I don't watch many B1G or SEC games while it's "free" now, let alone if I have to pay for them. If Bama wasn't playing in the same time slot, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn a significant number of Bama fans tuned in to watch a game like Wisconsin-Florida.

I also think it's a huge mistake to do this, but that's irrelevant and not going to stop them. I think they believe the hardcore fans of the remaining teams will be enough. How many people outside those states would tune in to watch Wisconsin-Florida if "their school" which is not part of the amalgamation is playing at the same time? I know I won't, and I don't watch many B1G or SEC games while it's "free" now, let alone if I have to pay for them. If Bama wasn't playing in the same time slot, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn a significant number of Bama fans tuned in to watch a game like Wisconsin-Florida.

They will still make plenty of money but they aren't going to make as much as they think.

Amazon, Apple, CBS/Paramount, ESPN/ABC, FOX, NBC/Peacock, and maybe even Netflix would all be interested in college football content. On top of that if ESPN spins off you can add ABC/Hulu and ESPN as two separate content bidders. Should you have a 30 team Super League only a few of the above will be involved as there are only 15 games in a given week (less in bye weeks). The rest will still be interested in FBS FB. Same reason why non NY6 Bowls still exist. And I would bet that the margins would be better buying FBS games vs Super League games, where there will be a bidding war.

The NFL has a monopoly on pro FB. A CFB Super League would have competition for eyeballs even though it is the vastly superior product. For example, I am not going to stop going to SU games because we don't play FSU and Clemson anymore. We already are vastly inferior to the top schools and are a .500 type program. If anything that changes for the better with a Super League, as we actually have a shot at an FBS championship. There will be A LOT of CFB fans like myself, which is a very bad thing for a Super League.

Edit

Wanted to add that I think they are overestimating how many hardcore fans some of these schools have. You won't see a half empty stadium when these schools have "down" 9-3 type seasons. You won't see fans not subscribe to streaming services either. But if Bama were 3-9 in a Super League and expected to not be much better the next season, they are more likely to average 50k a game instead of 100k, and a large portion of their fanbase will not buy or will cxl early their streaming subscription. There is also no draft to help out bad teams.

Parity in the NFL means more overall interest. The more teams with a shot at the playoffs, the more fans engaged the entire season. But I think parity in CFB will mean less interest. It will take an entire generation to change the 8-4 and we should fire the HC mindset.

Last edited:
They won’t, they will be kicked out.
Once they spilt away and don't have to have an appearance of education they will kick out Vandy and Northwestern.

Let’s be honest - anytime they called up a commish with some exploration, analysis and solutions they would have been hung up on. They had no power and everyone knew it.

Once they spilt away and don't have to have an appearance of education they will kick out Vandy and Northwestern.
Kicking them out requires votes they powers don't have. They'll make it so onerous the two will want to quit.

And what will they do with all the non-revenue sports?
No way the left out schools will play them without a large amount of money, nor should they.
They would be locked out of the basketball tounament, and all the other sponsored NCAA tournaments.
When that happens a lot of Alumni from those schools would start to have second thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom