Babers blew it a little | Syracusefan.com

Babers blew it a little

Millhouse

Living Legend
Part of the reason you go for it inside the five is because you leave them with terrible field position. At the end of the half, that don't care about bad field position. There is no negative expected points for the other team if you don't convert.

Kick there and go for it in no man's land earlier

I think he made the right call. Ish played a good game, and my money was on is scoring ~50% of the time in that scenario.

Also, I think that going into the half tied w/ FSU @FSU would have been a big demoralizing blow to the Noles.

Going into the half down 4 is "eh."

I think he made the right call. Ish played a good game, and my money was on is scoring ~50% of the time in that scenario.

Also, I think that going into the half tied w/ FSU @FSU would have been a big demoralizing blow to the Noles.

Not getting it is equally demoralizing, don't make decisions on that, those are always offsetting

And going into the half getting with no points out of great field position after forcing a TO, was worse a worse outcome than maybe “eh” from a FG. Those “eh” points would have felt a lot different at the end of the game.

By not taking the 3 all momentum SU had went right back to FSU. FSU fumbled that punt and was in "here we go again mode"...then with the goaline stand they got all the momentum back and came out with some pep in their step to open the 2nd half

OMG...losing by 3 is what matters.

Part of the reason you go for it inside the five is because you leave them with terrible field position. At the end of the half, that don't care about bad field position. There is no negative expected points for the other team if you don't convert.

if dungey was the qb at that time we go for it then too

Yes! His job is secure next year!

At Syracuse.

And going into the half getting with no points out of great field position after forcing a TO, was worse a worse outcome than maybe “eh” from a FG. Those “eh” points would have felt a lot different at the end of the game.
You're acting like we weren't playing FSU at FSU and/or like FSU isn't markedly more talented at almost every position than we are.

You have to take risks to win games like this one. Not taking risks = loss. Taking risks = chance for a loss and a chance for a win. That chance leads to a better expected outcome.

We needed to make FSU give up on itself to maximize our chances of winning. Letting them go into the locker room w/ a lead doesn't do that.

Stupid is what stupid does. You never leave points on the table in the first half on the road.
You never give a team w/ more talent but a defeated mindset a chance to regroup w/ a lead.

You also can't reasonably expect to beat a more talented team by playing conservatively.

I tried convincing myself that I was ok with the decision because I prefer being overly aggressive than the other way but it was a weird call at best. But what made it worse was the play-call itself. At least throw it into the end zone. Strange.

No, you didn't. You might have thought that, but you didn't know it. And that is the crux of all this back and forth. Some people go for it, other go for 3. But you can't play the hindsight game as your reason.
Bingo. It's one thing to question the gamble. It's another to question the outcome.

I tried convincing myself that I was ok with the decision because I prefer being overly aggressive than the other way but it was a weird call at best. But what made it worse was the play-call itself. At least throw it into the end zone. Strange.
I liked the approach. I didn't love the playcall. I agree that we should have taken a shot.

No, you didn't. You might have thought that, but you didn't know it. And that is the crux of all this back and forth. Some people go for it, other go for 3. But you can't play the hindsight game as your reason.

And I ended up being right. It wasn’t hindsight when I posted immediately after that play and said that those 3 points were going to matter. Our coach messed up. We lost. We have to win two of three for a bowl game. I hope we do.

You never give a team w/ more talent but a defeated mindset a chance to regroup w/ a lead.

You also can't reasonably expect to beat a more talented team by playing conservatively.

Okay. So, it’s okay to lose this year because they are more talented?

You're acting like we weren't playing FSU at FSU and/or like FSU isn't markedly more talented at almost every position than we are.

You have to take risks to win games like this one. Not taking risks = loss. Taking risks = chance for a loss and a chance for a win. That chance leads to a better expected outcome.

We needed to make FSU give up on itself to maximize our chances of winning. Letting them go into the locker room w/ a lead doesn't do that.

Well, clearly debatable in my view. We were down 21-7...if we get the gifted 3 points there, we're down 21-17 at the half rattling off the last 10 points of the 2Q...I think we go into the locker room with some momentum.

There is a difference between a risk and being stupid. Why go for it and run up the middle with a hurt QB? Take the field goal and regroup and win the second half

Okay. So, it’s okay to lost this year because they are more talented?
No. It's OK to lose because we got unlucky. Control what you can control, and don't worry about the rest.

We made a gamble, the right gamble, and it didn't pay out. That happens sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom