Babers blew it a little | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Babers blew it a little

No. It's OK to lose because we got unlucky. Control what you can control, and don't worry about the rest.

We made a gamble, the right gamble, and it didn't pay out. That happens sometimes.

Something about that logic of making "the right gamble" and it not paying off...if it was truly the "right" gamble, wouldn't it have actually paid off? ;):)

No. It's OK to lose because we got unlucky. Control what you can control, and don't worry about the rest.

We made a gamble, the right gamble, and it didn't pay out. That happens sometimes.
And we could control putting 3 pts up on the score board. The same coach tried a 48 yard field goal on 3rd and 2 earlier in the game. yes, eric wasn't in the game but 2 yards is two yards and 48 yards is a tough field goal. should have gone for it then and kicked it later. It's okay. He can make mistakes. He is doing a great job. But he made mistakes that hurt us today.

And I ended up being right. It wasn’t hindsight when I posted immediately after that play and said that those 3 points were going to matter. Our coach messed up. We lost. We have to win two of three for a bowl game. I hope we do.
And you easily could have ended up being wrong.
upload_2017-11-4_22-13-44.gif
Our coach didn't mess up. He made a different choice than you would have made.

There is a difference between a risk and being stupid. Why go for it and run up the middle with a hurt QB? Take the field goal and regroup and win the second half
Now you're arguing about the play selection vs the general approach.

I don't think that we called the right play, but I do think that going for 7 was the right move.

Intentionally trying to regroup at FSU while down is being stupid. Trying to beat FSU at FSU by being conservative is stupid.

Most fans and announcers that I heard agreed that we needed to cause doubt in the FSU fans and players as early as possible, and I think that they were right. Going into the half tied plants a legitimate and real seed of doubt. Going into the half down 4 doesn't to the same extent.

Pretty basic, you take the points, period. It wasn't like FSU was driving up and down the field, they hit three big plays. Wasn't the whole reason for tempo was to keep it close into the 4th with the idea of wearing them down. Kick the FG makes it closer.

Really simple stuff there.

And I ended up being right. It wasn’t hindsight when I posted immediately after that play and said that those 3 points were going to matter. Our coach messed up. We lost. We have to win two of three for a bowl game. I hope we do.
Then I think you got lucky on a bad bet. It happens every day in Vegas.

Using hindsight to justify your position is a mistake.

And you easily could have ended up being wrong. View attachment 114483 Our coach didn't mess up. He made a different choice than you would have made.

I wasn’t wrong.

You folks treat Dino like a god. We are better this year and I give him credit but he’s made a ton of mistakes. I hope he gets better too because they’ll come a time when you can’t hide behind the argument that we don’t have talent.

And we could control putting 3 pts up on the score board. The same coach tried a 48 yard field goal on 3rd and 2 earlier in the game. yes, eric wasn't in the game but 2 yards is two yards and 48 yards is a tough field goal. should have gone for it then and kicked it later. It's okay. He can make mistakes. He is doing a great job. But he made mistakes that hurt us today.
Would you feel that way if he scored? Be honest w/ yourself.

We're talking about bets. Either way, it's a bet.

You're acting like we weren't playing FSU at FSU and/or like FSU isn't markedly more talented at almost every position than we are.

You have to take risks to win games like this one. Not taking risks = loss. Taking risks = chance for a loss and a chance for a win. That chance leads to a better expected outcome.

We needed to make FSU give up on itself to maximize our chances of winning. Letting them go into the locker room w/ a lead doesn't do that.

They had 2 wins coming into the game and had just been crushed by Boston College. We weren’t playing a top 10 team.

They went into the locker room feeling great about themselves and we went into the locker room deflated not capitalizing on the TO. 3 points changes that more than getting no points

Would you feel that way if he scored? Be honest w/ yourself.

We're talking about bets. Either way, it's a bet.
be honest. I said before the play to take the 3 pts. fact. Another fact, we saw the results and I was right. We needed the 3 pts at the end of the game. Another fact, we lost by 3 pts. He made a mistake. And I won't even get in to the ridiculous play we called.

They had 2 wins coming into the game and had just been crushed by Boston College. We weren’t playing a top 10 team.

They went into the locker room feeling great about themselves and we went into the locker room deflated not capitalizing on the TO. 3 points changes that more than getting no points
They're still FSU. Their record is weak, but they aren't a pushover. They're under performing because of locker room issues, not talent issues. Giving them a reason to believe, which is what taking the 3 would have been, wasn't the right call.

Yes, the approach didn't work out, and we lost, but that doesn't mean that the gamble wasn't good. Even w/ hindsight of the end score, the approach doesn't look bad. We would have probably won had we scored 6. We would have had a 50% had we taken 3. I think we score more often than not in that situation w/ the right play. Do the math.

But FWIW, I don't like the play that was called. I like the approach of being aggressive, but I think that DB deserves plenty of criticism for the actually play call.

the play call sucked but i am completely fine going for it there. At that point we had given up 3 big plays and 21 points , Dino is probably thinking we are going to need 30 + to win. As it turns out the fg would of been useful, but we went 1 for 3 on fgs under perfect conditions on the road

be honest. I said before the play to take the 3 pts. fact. Another fact, we saw the results and I was right. We needed the 3 pts at the end of the game. Another fact, we lost by 3 pts. He made a mistake. And I won't even get in to the ridiculous play we called.
It was horrible

They're still FSU. Their record is weak, but they aren't a pushover. They're under performing because of locker room issues, not talent issues. Giving them a reason to believe, which is what taking the 3 would have been, wasn't the right call.

Yes, the approach didn't work out, and we lost, but that doesn't mean that the gamble wasn't good. Even w/ hindsight of the end score, the approach doesn't look bad. We would have probably won had we scored 6. We would have had a 50% had we taken 3. I think we score more often than not in that situation w/ the right play. Do the math.

But FWIW, I don't like the play that was called. I like the approach of being aggressive, but I think that DB deserves plenty of criticism for the actually play call.
Th
the play call sucked but i am completely fine going for it there. At that point we had given up 3 big plays and 21 points , Dino is probably thinking we are going to need 30 + to win. As it turns out the fg would of been useful, but we went 1 for 3 on fgs under perfect conditions on the road
The 48 yard field goal on grass isn't really perfect conditions. That was another beauty of a call. 4th and 2 and we try a 48 yarder.

Th

The 48 yard field goal on grass isn't really perfect conditions. That was another beauty of a call. 4th and 2 and we try a 48 yarder.

didn't have a problem in the rain on a worse field in miami. With mahoney at qb at that point in the game kicking was the right decsion

didn't have a problem in the rain on a worse field in miami. With mahoney at qb at that point in the game kicking was the right decsion
Well, I didn't agree with it then and I sure don't agree with it now. The good thing is we have the results. So it's not a guessing game to how it turned out. We don't know whether we would have got the first down but we sure know that he didn't come close to hitting the FG. That makes it the wrong decision. Sometimes you are wrong no matter what you do and sometimes you are right no matter what you do. But we saw the result of the kick. It wasn't a good decision.

Part of the reason you go for it inside the five is because you leave them with terrible field position. At the end of the half, that don't care about bad field position. There is no negative expected points for the other team if you don't convert.

Kick there and go for it in no man's land earlier

He was too aggressive?

. This guy is expecting your wishful playbook.

Something about that logic of making "the right gamble" and it not paying off...if it was truly the "right" gamble, wouldn't it have actually paid off? ;):)
Huh? No.

By that logic a $1 lotto ticket w/ a 90% chance to payout $1,000,000 would be a bad gamble if, in hindsight, you bought one of the unlucky 10% of tickets.

Be aggressive. But be smart. On the road. @ FSU. Take the points.

Dino also said part of the reason he didn't kick the fg was due to the tough close angle. Ok, take the delay, then kick it. Dino adding that to the explanation made me scratch my head.

It's not criticism with the benefit of hindsight. If you asked me in June what I thought we should do in that scenario, I'm taking the damn points. Love Dino. But would love him to temper the aggressiveness with a bit of Football 101.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't agree with it then and I sure don't agree with it now. The good thing is we have the results. So it's not a guessing game to how it turned out. We don't know whether we would have got the first down but we sure know that he didn't come close to hitting the FG. That makes it the wrong decision. Sometimes you are wrong no matter what you do and sometimes you are right no matter what you do. But we saw the result of the kick. It wasn't a good decision.
That kick was blocked

Not “taking the points” didn’t lose the game.

Missing 2 FGs lost the game.

The persistent calls for running into the middle of FSU’s DL (with our injured QB, no less) contributed more to losing that game than any go for it/kick it choice made.

Starting to wonder if trying that first FG was building off of Murphy’s Miami week. When he missed he (the word missed is being kind) he realized it was bad Road Murphy and was only going to kick FGs when there was little to no chance of a 4th down conversion. I’m sure he didn’t want the last play to come down to him, but Dungey taking that terrible sack forced it.

Huh? No.

By that logic a $1 lotto ticket w/ a 90% chance to payout $1,000,000 would be a bad gamble if, in hindsight, you bought one of the unlucky 10% of tickets.

Uh, no. You did not say a "good" gamble or "bad" gamble, but "the right gamble." Big difference. If it was "the right gamble" as you so distinctively alluded to, a TD would have ensued...plain and simple.

And, let me know where I can purchase that $1 lotto ticket that has a 90% chance of paying out $1,000,000 with only that 10% chance of being so "unlucky." ;):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom