Babers' house | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Babers' house

I haven't been able to convince the Mrs. that we should go for a tiny house, but what you described is more or less how we're trying to live. Manageable housing costs so there's flexibility to enjoy more experiences. Now that we're a little bit better established it's starting to get easier to do that.

kids get in the way to. i'd take the bridge if in lived in a TH with my kids and then they'd suck me dry anyways.

unless you're on the water big houses are such a waste of money. being house poor for what? personally if I could I'd live in a tiny house and put all my money into toys and vacations.

It's stupid to be house poor but if you can afford a big house, and you want a big house, go for it. Personally I'm long past the point of judging people's material decisions. Life's too short.

Eh, some industries are tied geographically to certain regions. Like mine. I can't do what I do in upstate NY.

People should live where they want to live and pay what they want to pay. All about priorities.
well, yeah, that's why i mentioned being flexible about what you do.

Another thing I love about Texas. Sale prices are not public knowledge. Yes, you can get estimates and for sale prices, but not the actual sale prices.

Really? You can't research house prices through the county tax dept.

Let's just say that the cost of living change from where he moved from is...substantial.

I'm blown away that $560K gets you in the top 50. That's not quite how home prices work where I live.
the added cost is made up for with the ridiculous property taxes in NYS.

EDIT: as others have already pointed out. 20K in property tax on a half a million dollar home is ridiculous given the size of the city.

Let's just say that the cost of living change from where he moved from is...substantial.

I'm blown away that $560K gets you in the top 50. That's not quite how home prices work where I live.

CNY, baby.

That wouldn't necessarily be a very large / upscale house where I live, either.

Agree that it's in poor taste to publish that kind of slideshow. Of course this information can be found in public records, but it's creepy for a newspaper to make a story out of that information.

That said, since this is a football board, it looks like Steve Gregory's McMansion is on there at #6. Wonder if he found a coaching job elsewhere after Shafer's dismissal.

EDIT: as others have already pointed out. 20K in property tax on a half a million dollar home is ridiculous given the size of the city.

Does the acreage make a big difference? That house is on 6.5 acres.

Since others are chiming in about how they don't like big houses, I'll mention that I can't imagine owning that much land. I'm on a half acre and it's a massive pain to maintain.

i'm blown away by what people spend on houses in expensive areas. the increase in pay you get living in those places for a given job is not proportional to the increase in house prices.

i get that people like having all the big city options available but how often to they really avail themselves of it.

if you are flexible about what you do for a living and don't mind spending vacations to get big city experiences, life's pretty easy
I'm not sure I agree on the pay proportionality in certain industries. I make a multiple of my counterparts in upstate.

Yeah I pay about 6k on a property assessed higher than that. Good god

You would be in the ghetto around boston

"Ghetto" for $560K? Nahhh, maybe in Wellesley or Braintree, but my folks out in burbs 20 miles out have a nice raised ranch and it wouldn't sell for anywhere close to $560K.

unless you're on the water big houses are such a waste of money. being house poor for what? personally if I could I'd live in a tiny house and put all my money into toys and vacations.
Yup in Venice Florida right now on the beach in a 800 square foot house...perfect size

No. I can go into the deed of records in my county and see what a property last sold for.

Not in Texas. Texas is a non-disclosure state. Only sales agents and banks can get to it. While papers can, and annually do, provide average and range of home sale prices by zip code, they cannot publish specific properties with their actual sales price. But, even then, they're using some arbitrary means to determine price. That's why sites like Zillow use "Estimated" Price for homes in Texas. they are using Tax value or some other calculated value rather than home sales price.

The reason is so property tax authorities can't jack up your assessed value based on home sale. Additionally, they are also limited to 30% within a three year period, by law.

Years ago, my wife worked for a advertising company that had associates go to specific homes and drop off advertising. They focused on recent home sales valued a certain range. However, even they couldn't get actual home sales prices. They used the publish "for sale" price.

Last edited:
at first glance, i thought the 20k tax bill was a lot. Then i realized here in jersey, you pay 15k for a 1/2 acre lot. Dinos house is on almost 7. Also, you get a 3/2 bath split built in the 60's for 550k lol.

Reactions: CIL
at first glance, i thought the 20k tax bill was a lot. Then i realized here in jersey, you pay 15k for a 1/2 acre lot. Dinos house is on almost 7. Also, you get a 3/2 bath split built in the 60's for 550k lol.
you pay more for a far inferior house but less in taxes. A house like you describe may go for $75k to $110k here yet the taxes, depending on the neighborhood would be $3k - $7k. I'd rather pay more for the house, at least I'm building equity.

Speaking of property taxes I just received my NYS property tax refund today, a whopping $86. It probably cost twice that to pay for the administration to mail me the check.

I'm sure Babers house is quite modest compared to most P5 head football coaches. A lot of states in the south have cheap real estate and the richest football coaches. Imagine what 5 million a year can get you in Alabama.